Oil leak

Raghav

Registered
Hi guys
Hope you all doing great and are safe...

I found some oil drop under the bike as it was parked for almost a week now, I checked the drain plug and apparently it was slightly loose. Despite of tightening I found the oils still leaking and further tightening the drain plug is making the plug slip, it is not tightening any further.

What can be done?

I spoke to a guy he said, chaning the drain plug isint going to help and I need to probably put MSEAL or get a new oil sump.

Is there any hack to rectify this. Do drop ur messages.

Thanks
Stay safe

20200404_165832.jpg

20200404_165823.jpg

20200404_165819.jpg

that issue i also found when using the old gasket(s).

so unscrew, put a new original Suzuki seal (art.-no. 09168-14002) on it and the problem should be solved.
requirement - the new aluminum sealing ring is the one that gets pressed/squeezed together by the plug.

but please do not fasten the plug like a madman - the plug only gets 26 Nm and thats sufficiant.
and then the thread in the oil pan survives dozens of oil changes .

i will never again use old/used oil plug gaskets.

hint:
when you take out the plug controll the inner oil pan thread if it is damaged.
if not, take the new gasket.

Last edited:
Or helicoil. But new pan and plug is better choice.
Mr.Brown is exactly right again.
Look around for the best deal...Ebay oil pan and don't forget to order a new gasket. Re-thread one size up,if there is enough for a cut, or helicoil may work,sometimes its a one use deal though.If it was me,order the new pan,perhaps JB-weld or similar, that sucker for now to stop the leak.

yes
mr. brown is right,
if you first have to buy the helicoil tool / thread insert and loctite 603

if you already got it, the helicoil works nice and can be done without any other disassemblings - even the side panels can stay at their place.
only draining oil is necessary - i did this work already and it wasn´t very challenging on the ramp i have and with a lot of experiance in turning screws.
but the helicoil has one little fault - it doesn´t let the whole oil get outa the pan, because it closes that little gap in the "thread-dome" inside the pan.

but to replace the pan you grab into a big bucket filled with a real lot of work to do :
water/oil coolers - off
exhaust - completely off
then the pan can be screwed off
but then you have to clean the sealing surfaces of the crankcase and the old pan pedantically or the pan itself leaks later on.

I hope for India that the problem is only a faulty seal .

I prefer I good copper crush washer and am a firm believer in Safety wiring the drainplug once you get it fixed.

It's a shame as a new crush washer probably would have fixed it. If the plug "slips and is not tightening any further", sounds like the sump threads are stripped. Replacing the sump is the proper repair anything else is cutting corners.

Hi guys
Hope you all doing great and are safe...

I found some oil drop under the bike as it was parked for almost a week now, I checked the drain plug and apparently it was slightly loose. Despite of tightening I found the oils still leaking and further tightening the drain plug is making the plug slip, it is not tightening any further.

What can be done?

I spoke to a guy he said, chaning the drain plug isint going to help and I need to probably put MSEAL or get a new oil sump.

Is there any hack to rectify this. Do drop ur messages.

Thanks
Stay safe

View attachment 1616245

View attachment 1616246

View attachment 1616247
They make oversized drain plugs that are self threading, in the US I know these are easily available at most auto parts store and ive seen a post or 2 on here that people have had success with them.

I had the same problem, pulled the pan , threads were good. Got new crush washer and pan gasket problem solved. If you pull the pan remember what bolts go where, there is a sealing washer on bolt in back. Torque wrench is your friend. I hope you haven’t stripped drain bolt.

Thanks a lot everyone... got to know a lot, I guess I'd resort to a new pan after the Covid is over...

Back