Oil Change Procedure

Blazing-Saddle

"Kowalski"
Donating Member
Registered
Afte reading through the archives, Amsoil seems to be a favorite amongst a great many people so I decided to follow suit. However, I don't know what kind of oil is in the bike (Bought it used at a dealer and they don't know squat...  
sad.gif
) So my dilemma is how to flush out as much of the unknown oil before going with the Amsoil. Do I :

A. Drain out the old, leave the old filter in place and refill with Amsoil, run that for a few (Hundred?) miles, then do a regular change with fresh oil and filter?

B. Drain out the old, replace filter annd refill with Amsoil, run that for a few (Hundred?) miles, then do a regular change?

OR

C. ?

Help me, Obi Wan, Help me!

Let the bike warm up to operating temp, Drain oil remove old filter and replace with new filter and fresh oil.
thumb_up.gif

Let the bike warm up to operating temp, Drain oil remove old filter and replace with new filter and fresh oil.
thumb_up.gif
+1 whatever you do DON'T DO CHOICE "A"! if the oil in the filter is not compatible with the oil saturated in the filter media it could gum up/clog and starve you of oil. when I switched, I just did a typical change, just used mobile 1 instead of dino... no problems as of yet.

All oils are compatible with Amsoil so just make sure your oil is hot before draining. I would let it drain for a long time so the filter and the cooler can empty themselves too. Add a gallon of Amsoil synth and and a new filter (I use K&Ns) and you're good to go!

Just do a regular oil change... all synthetics (at least easily available) are compatible with petroleum based oils..

Warm the engine, drain oil, change filter and add new oil... no special anything needed..

I DO prefer to pre-fill my oil filters (just an old habit) but many do not bother... Just dont whack the throttle on the start up (really should not do that anyway)

is there a time its too late to switch to synthetics??
we have11k on ours and still have one more prepaid service to go before I start doing things myself.

I'm starting to believe/practice what all the mechanics are telling me...oil is oil and it will all work as long as you change it regularly.

I belive the Cheese follows this practice as well.

Back