Oil baffle/windage tray

This one came in Friday from Rob Bush. $50, I will not buy another. I have enough aluminium around here and easy access to make this. I figure it would take me an hour since I have a template now. Found one with baffles for $100. Could add them to mine in about 30 minutes.

16534390546773995920182915394027.jpg

Screenshot_20220524-203412.png

I wonder if a windage tray has any practical street use?
With alot of speed and lean angle, up and down hilIs, I wonder if you save a hp or 2 here or there?
Or if it would help prevent the oil from foaming?
I get the hard-launch drag use, but it seems it should make some gain in road race conditions.
I've never heard of a windage tray being used on a non drag bike? Anyone?
But it seems it could be beneficial?
The install is easy enough, and a common header swap makes it a good time to do so.
For $50, for the time, effort, and cost with overhead to make that, as well as design it, I think is fair.
My future gen3 may need one of these.
I can see the pros; any cons?
Thoughts?

I wonder if a windage tray has any practical street use?
With alot of speed and lean angle, up and down hilIs, I wonder if you save a hp or 2 here or there?
Or if it would help prevent the oil from foaming?
I get the hard-launch drag use, but it seems it should make some gain in road race conditions.
I've never heard of a windage tray being used on a non drag bike? Anyone?
But it seems it could be beneficial?
The install is easy enough, and a common header swap makes it a good time to do so.
For $50, for the time, effort, and cost with overhead to make that, as well as design it, I think is fair.
My future gen3 may need one of these.
I can see the pros; any cons?
Thoughts?
This is going on a drag bike. I see 90 psi before launch and after launch it goes down to 45psi and slowly goes back up

This is going on a drag bike. I see 90 psi before launch and after launch it goes down to 45psi and slowly goes back up

I understand that.
But, 'windage' is when the crank is spinning in the oil.
Windage trays benefit street cars the same way, so it stands to reason that it could have the same effect in a motorcycle engine, and I don't see why not.
If I am missing something, someone please point it out.

I understand that.
But, 'windage' is when the crank is spinning in the oil.
Windage trays benefit street cars the same way, so it stands to reason that it could have the same effect in a motorcycle engine, and I don't see why not.
If I am missing something, someone please point it out.
Your 100% right. Wonder how you would be able to tell if the windage tray works? Back to back dyno?

Your 100% right. Wonder how you would be able to tell if the windage tray works? Back to back dyno?

Possibly, but the bike may need forward or side to side movement to notice any benefit.
I get that you need it for the hard launch, I just wonder if high speed hard lean angles can do similiar(just probably not to that extent).
I wonder if Superbike or MotoGP engines use windage trays?
Superbike is basically a hotted up showroom bike, vs MotoGP being it's own engine design.
I can't ever remember this discussed here before.
So the hard launch may be the only realistic application.
Maybe some high hp engine builders can shed some light on this?

My “baffle” or tray isn’t much but the pan has a trap door

View attachment 1651483

View attachment 1651484

The picture answers my question, as it shows that the crank is not in a position to be spinning in the oil, regardless of engine position.
But, obviously shows your need, as force would easily push most of the oil into the transmission(as you said and know), not leaving enough at the pickup to maintain oil pressure.
So not a need for a streetbike, but I'm sure wouldn't hurt it either.
Cool, thanks for posting those.

Are you running a high pressure gear and oil relief valve?

With both of these, my warm engine idle oil pressure is around 40psi, and will sit at around 135psi on 2 step. during a run the lowest my pressure has hit is 60psi, but this is due to oil volume in the engine, as i have a front mount turbo and was trying not to run too much as it would just smoke.

I have now re arranged my oil return and can run a greater volume of oil woohoo.

Are you running a high pressure gear and oil relief valve?

With both of these, my warm engine idle oil pressure is around 40psi, and will sit at around 135psi on 2 step. during a run the lowest my pressure has hit is 60psi, but this is due to oil volume in the engine, as i have a front mount turbo and was trying not to run too much as it would just smoke.

I have now re arranged my oil return and can run a greater volume of oil woohoo.

I’m pretty sure it has the oil relief valve and oil gear. My problem is when the bike leaves the oil pressure goes down and comes back up mid run. So I believe the oil is leaving the oil pan. I run more oil in it to make sure it has plenty of oil.

Yikes that’s a good question. I’m not sure and was going to order a billet oil pan to go with it. I’m not ready to order either of these things but I’ll post up when I do.

Let me know what you find out but I’ll probably order from 1 Stop Speed. They carry this one for the same price.

Back