Ohlins Steering Damper Group Buy! (My K8 install experience w/pics)

I have an extended brake line on my 08 so I didn't have any problems installing. The rod comes close to the fork but doesn't touch. When I got this I really didn't expect to feel much difference under normal riding conditions. I was happy with the stock handling. However, I experienced a noticeable improvement in handling. Steers easier and more accurately. I love it! Thanks Tufbusa for a great group buy.

Great news! did you have to bend the brake line bracket/tang out of the way any? A pic of your installed would be nice for comparison!

Tell me more about your brake lines....

Last edited:
I removed it. My line is a Spiegler and it is longer than stock and it bows out. Also it is much thinner and stiffer so there was no use for the stock bracket. I have one of those plastic ties for bundling wires, loosely holding the brake line to the fork. The rod comes near the line at full lock but it's no problem.

Same here, won't work for me.

128669d1234113683-gps-mounting-question-zumo_gpr.jpg

Update: Ken got my bracket back, and is shipping me the K8-specific bracket today 2nd Day Air so I can have it by Friday to install this weekend yippee! For $75. Pics to follow.

I got it on Saturday; the K8 bracket made all the difference; I have pics and will post tomorrow. Now, if it will just warm up enough to RIDE.

Olins looks like a goat rope.. What a hassle .. and you can't reach it to change the settings.

I don't think I'll be riding down the road constantly changing the settings, I didn't need to with the stock one.

Olins looks like a goat rope.. What a hassle .. and you can't reach it to change the settings.

Guys like you with huge hands is the reason God made midgets! But I'm sure you knew that?

Go buy yourself a midget and strap him to the back cause he cannot reach the foot pegs and you always have access to your damper adjustments! :laugh:

OK, HERE IS UPDATE AS PROMISED.

Last week, I received the updated K8 bracket that I swapped for (cost me another $75). Here is pic of bracket; scroll back up and compare.

IMG_1300_Medium.JPG

Below is comparison of the two brackets in line. You will notice by comparing to the original pics that the bracket moves the damper about 1/4 to 1/2 inch further outbound than the standard bracket so that the rods are nearly in the same position:

IMG_1293_Medium.JPG

IMG_1298_Medium.JPG

After mounting the bracket, setting the clearance for both full-left and full- right extension, and tightening the bracket and all bolts (NOTE: DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE BRACKET IT CAN CRUSH THE TUBE - torque specs are included) below is the finished install. Note that, unlike original attempt, if fully clears all brackets/tangs/lines. I also reused the OEM dust covers (a) and insured the supplied spacer on the end of the rod was properly placed (b).

IMG_1301_Medium.JPG

IMG_1302_Medium.JPG

IMG_1303_Medium.JPG

Given Tuf's instructions, i dialed it all the way down to zero, then up to 10 and will try it there first (if I can ever get a decent weather day to ride!)

Hopefully this completes the thread (except maybe for comments for after-ride comparison).

skydivr

Great bit of kit but do you actually need it

I took my stock damper off
But had ohlins TTX 36 shock and upgraded forks being professionally set up

The Busa does not need a damper
( the ZX14r perf sport had no damper)

I ride hard and fast around curves
My bike handles like a 600 now

Invest your hard earned bucks in suspension mods

I thought the damper was one of those things you dont need until you need it? I suppose if you are doing LSH or drag it might help to lock the bars down some. Maybe even on road tract. But the bike is not a widow maker like early TL's.

Back