Gen1 Steering Damper repair/replacement

HRJR

Donating Member
Registered
I recently noticed that my 06 Le was leaking oil from the OEM steering damper. I was considering rebuilding it, but the end caps are staked and I didn't want to "experiment" with them without a plan "b".

Some questions:

1) Can the OEM steering damper be rebuilt? I didn't see any "steering damper rebuild kits" for the Busa...

2) What's the scoop on the Hayabusa steering damper "eBay specials" for <$50? That seems insanely cheap. With the better name-brand dampers (GPR/Scotts/Ohlins) running $500 or more, $50 seems like a typo. I assume it is a "get what you pay for" situation, but does anyone have any experience with the "el-cheapo" dampers? Are they equivalent to the OEM damper? Better? Worse?

3) I haven't gotten too deep in comparing the better dampers yet, but when comparing the stock mounting location verses above the triple clamp/in front of the tank, is the primary benefit to the upper location ease of adjustment or possibly appearance? Are there *performance* reasons for choosing to locate the damper under verses over?

Any help will be appreciated.

Got oem location ohlins for like 300 from a non sponsor so pm me and I'll tell you location if interested.

I didn't see Ohlin's steering dampers for a Gen 1 in the current Ohlin's catalog.

Back