Ohlins steering damper

bfbusa

Donating Member
Registered
Is it possible to install an Ohlins steering damper in the place of the factory damper? I know it would be a little harder to reach, but how often do you need to adjust it?
Thanks, and what a great site!!!!!!

it may need some "modifying" to fit the OE location. The other thing is you CAN'T adjust it while ridding at all.

duh duh-duh DAH! Super-Diesel to tha rescue!:cheerleader::cheerleader:

that Ohlins damper you speak of is sold in two kits for the Busa-one mounts in the stock under-fork location, the other kit puts it on top of the tripleclamp right in front of yo' face...the reason for the 2nd kit, is that most goofs who actually BUY these admittedly over-priced suspension gadgets:whistle: want to use them all the stinking time-like when coming on/off the freeways, you can twist your wrist n Voila-stiff n' straight steering or loose n easy turning. I think there are something like 19-23 different settings in total.

if you go to extreme.busa.com I actually did a review n postd to the 'products' section there w/pics:beerchug:

IMO-if you want a non-adjustd damper out-of-the-way mounted, just go w/OEM or upgrade to GPR or Scotts-these take up alot less space.

BUT-any suspension guru will be able to explain to you *cuz I cant* why the piston-rod type dampers 'work' better than the rotary(sp) types (GPR, Scotts) at doing what these things ALL do well.

Last edited:
Question: At about 80 mph I get a noticeble vibration, not uncontrolable but so noticeable that I know when I am going 80 because of it. It seems to go away if I continue to accelerate (or I just don't notice it because I am more focused on driving). Will a good dampener fix this?

Thanks

not likely. Vibration is different beast. Is it at a specific RPM window or only when you're at 80? Is it only in a specific gear?

Question: At about 80 mph I get a noticeble vibration, not uncontrolable but so noticeable that I know when I am going 80 because of it. It seems to go away if I continue to accelerate (or I just don't notice it because I am more focused on driving). Will a good dampener fix this?

Thanks

Thanks
you should not have any vibration or shake without the damper.. you have another issue (tire balance,bent wheel etc) that needs fixed..

once this starts on a tire and you put a bunch of miles on it, it will require a new tire to fix (tire wear starts to go uneven and no way to correct it)

+1 to wobble-not steering damper related.

did you have any low-speed drops or hit a pothole recently?? anything can throw your wheel align. off, need to get this checked over before lookin at dampers-tire wear can be issue too-hope you keep an eye on tire psi...if not, now's a good time to start:thumbsup:

Back