Odo says 40.2 mpg

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Ok if this thing holds 5.5 gallons or so, why 40mpg with the fuel light on and 161 on the trip odo? Most of my riding for this tank of fuel is hwy, all but about 10 miles total. Thanks in advance.

Don

The light comes on when you have a gallon left. If the light starts blinking (I don't know for certain that it will but my Gixxer 750 did) you have a few 10ths of a gallon left and better stop or get ready to push.

Yeah, BT is about right...I usually pump, when needle touches the red, it means, its near 4 Gal's to fill...(I don't wait till light comes on...)
blues.gif

The light does NOT blink.
wink.gif

Trust me on this.
Light comes on with .9gals.
Which for me is around 217 miles.

No I don't fill up until after the light has been on.
Sometimes not until the engine stops.
wow.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1414"|1147785100 -->

40MPG? Holy crap! I don't get anywhere NEAR 40. I don't even get 30.

Bad idea to let it go too low. Any crud that is in the bottom of the tank will get sucked in to the filter, blocking it up prematurely

The last time I filled up I had 212 miles on the trip-meter and the light had been on around 12 miles. It took 4.65 gallons to fill it. The math worked out to about 45 MPG.

I've done 30miles after the fuel light came on without the engine stopping.

It's is the modern equivilant of the reserve tank...

I got 198 on my last tank, put 4.99 gallons in it, CA model... Was I cutting it close? ( CA's have only a 5 gallon tank, right?)

I cheated a bit on that tank. I did over 10 miles downhill in Neutral, some of it no hands.

I always "burp" the tank when I fill it, this gets a lot of extra gas in the tank, it helps with the prices like they are now. I am also being aware of the speed and RPM's I am riding at, this helps bring the MPG up too.

firedevil.gif

I call "burping" when as the tank gets full you stop pumping and nudge (make it rock slightly) the side of the bike and the trapped air in the tank "burps" out and the visible level of the fuel drops 1-3 inches. Now fill some more (carefully) and repeat. This will let you get the fuel almost to the rim. I do this with the bike on the side stand.

Be careful of the pump, it will splash unless you control it carefully. I am not sure of the rest of the country but here in the SF Bay Area of CA we have these suck azz vapor collars on the nozzles, they make this very difficult, I often have gas on my hands at the end of a feuling, even if I do not "burp" it

Back