MPG'S Believe it or not..

These are my thoughts exactly.

I could maybe buy 60 mpg, at 5000 feet, for a short run, downhill, with a tailwind. Even though elevation plays a part, it's pretty tough to go almost 800 miles and stay at 5000 feet, and not do any stop and go, and never go up any long grades, etc.

The other consideration here is that the claim is for 64 mpg AVERAGE over 700+ miles. We all know that average means there are times where you get a little more and times when you get a little less. In my own experience, I've reached as high as 50 with a few lows of 40-42 for the overall 2000 mile average of 47. To average 64 means the peak would have to be maybe as high as 67 or so.

I would be very interested to see the mileage broken down by fill-up... what was the mileage for each leg of the trip?

EDIT: Actually, I would be very interested to see the data on just one fill-up. For any given leg of the trip, what were the gallons used and miles ridden?
I just did another documented ride today.....with a friend along on his beemer....the 62.57 mpg's still holds because how slow i rode in the dark and most of the ride.....see new thread.

Did you fill up 6 times for 772/713 miles? Getting 60 mpg you wouldn't have to fuel up but once or twice, right? Could you have made a mistake somewhere or not flipped the reset? Not calling you a liar, and stranger things happen than 60 mgp on a 160 hp machine. Elevation has alot to do with fuel efficiency as well.

My experience is right at 42 or 43 mpg according to the guage with highway riding (closer to 40 mpg actual math with gps). My 02 is no gas saver, tho. I'm pushing it to do 185 miles a tank. I'm one down on the rear sprocket so the actual and gps is within just a few miles per tank.

I will clear that issue up...1st of 6===fill at home. 2nd thru 4th gas stops during the ride but two of those were not fill up,s. i was in Benton and needed to go to Bishop 36 miles.. about a gallon...Then next morning i filled it and then explored west of Bishop for 2 hours..,.riding slow checking out the lakes and stuff. then back to Bishop. Fill up at the same station' about a gallon. Then headed way out to westgard pass turning east at Lone Pine off us395..[ That road has got to be the sickest of twisty highways ever] IMHO. goes over 11000 feet.
And finally the 6th fill up was when i got home...so i could add up the grand total of fuel used, 11.35 gallons. yesterday i did some math and found that my ODO is 8% optomistic....772- 8% 710.24 actual gps 713 + 8% 770.04..yea so it's off a hair but still pretty close.
Yesterdays ride by gps was 338.89 and used 6.682 gallons .... bike odo showed 367.5 miles minus 8%= 338.1 that is a great equalizer..of the 2 readings. it was alot hotter and gettin' after quite abit..... even a 166 blast woot woot. GPS....50.6 mpg's. I was with a friend on a late model BMW
His ODO recorded 333.5 miles..a 5.39 diff... not to far off for the total trip milage. PS....I was able to ride till the low fuel light came on...at 221.39 it took 4.352 = 50.57 mpg's.

my '01 with -1/+2 sprockets gets 38-39 city and 47 freeway. if i take a long commute it just tells me the 50 mpg so idk the exact #

Back