Octane?

87 is all she needs
beerchug.gif

(CBXRider @ Aug. 08 2007,19:27) Stock here and I use mid grade, usually 89.  No pings or rattles at any elevation.  Will be running in extreme heat in a couple weeks (probably) crossing NV, UT and WY at speed on my way to CO and then over TR Rd. at 12'000'+ so I'll see how she runs then as well.  In my lower comp ratio air/oil cooled CBXs, I have to run the highest octane available or they'll rattle and ping like hell when its real hot.
The CBX has carburetors...a FI bike with the same compression ratio can use a lower grade fuel than a bike with carbs because the FI system can meter the fuel more precisely to eliminate pinging and detonation problems  
wink.gif

4 Busa's and never a drop of anything over 87.
super.gif

I think the 08 will like the expensive stuff better though.
guns.gif

I have always run premium fuel in the Busa since day one; however, I might try the medium grade fuel next time. Oh darn I 'll feel so guilty for even thinking about it.
all_coholic.gif

87 is all you need. High Octane slows the burn rate to prevent detonation, this kills power. Your wasting money if you by anything higher than 87

Didnt the warning sticker right below the tank say 91+? Cant remember cause I took it off so dam fast.. I always use Premium, think Ill try the 87 tho if it says to use it in the manual.. Im no Engineer...

(upsslave @ Aug. 08 2007,22:23) 87 is all you need.  High Octane slows the burn rate to prevent detonation, this kills power. Your wasting money if you by anything higher than 87
+1, 87 Is all you need. Thier R and D know thier stuff, if they say 87, then use 87.

(HeloMech74 @ Aug. 08 2007,15:57) 87 just like the manual says to use.
For the record the manual I have saved as a PDF file says exactly this,

"Use only unleaded gasoline of (at least) 87 pump octane using the R+M/2 method (or) 91 octane (or) higher if rated by the research method"

With that said. I use nothing but 93 octane in my bikes. My C50, and the Busa. Well there was one time I had to use 89...

I do like the smell of 93 better than 87. I get to smell it every day I fire her up from the garage.
wow.gif

I’m running 101 octane racing fuel right now. It is an oxygenated unleaded racing fuel. It is oxygenated with MTBE at about 3% and has the same specific gravity as pump gas (0.745) My MPH at the track is right in line (but slightly higher when corrected for DA) with the pump gas. Tuning my bike with the data logger I was getting different readings with 87 octane fuel purchased at different locations. I decided to remove that inconsistency by running racing fuel during tuning. I selected this one because it is almost identical in power production and tuning. Once I get the A/F as flat as I want it, I’ll make a run or two with pump gas and see what I get. Right now the biggest difference is the smell. MTBE oxygenated fuel has a different smell than ethanol oxygenated fuel.

I have race with 91, 89, and 87 octane pump gas. The 87 octane makes more MPH in my bike than the others.

(Turbo-Torch @ Aug. 08 2007,19:25)
(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 08 2007,19:09) My bike's placarded for 91+, so that's what I run.  With more and more stations pushing the price spread between 87 and 91 to $.30, I'm beginning to envy you 87+ guys.
You have a Busa that has a tag on it stating it needs 91 octane?  
rock.gif
I don't have enough skillz to ride a busa. I'm happy on my little Honda...
biggrin.gif

(Professor @ Aug. 09 2007,08:28) I’m running 101 octane racing fuel right now.
Ah yes, there's nothing quite as intoxicating as the sweet perfume of spent racing gas.
beerchug.gif

(HeloMech74 @ Aug. 08 2007,15:57) 87 just like the manual says to use.
For the record the manual I have saved as a PDF file says exactly this,

"Use only unleaded gasoline of (at least) 87 pump octane using the R+M/2 method (or) 91 octane (or) higher if rated by the research method"[/quote]

Why anyone would want to spend more $$$ to make LESS hp is just plain foolish...the Busa also runs smoother on 87  
wink.gif

89 octane E-10 Ethanol regular.

8 cents a gallon cheaper than the 87 octane regular dinosaur fuel.

Back