Octane?

04HappyBus

Registered
I'm curious.  What grade fuel does everyone run?  With a stock motor?  With mods?  Is everyone a 91+ octane user or do some go with 89 (or even 87)?  The owner's book lists 87, which seems low with a 11:1 compression ratio.

(04HappyBus @ Aug. 08 2007,17:14)  The owner's book lists 87, which seems low with a 11:1 compression ratio.
Your basing this on what
rock.gif
? Engineering data or the Expert next door ? Remember there is alot of research that goes into an engine, and the Octane level isn't given as a "OH YEAH" after thought. I always feel the engineer who designed the engine know's alot more than me  
beerchug.gif

87 and i find she runs better on a name brand gas like sunoco, amoco, bp, or hess.

My bike's placarded for 91+, so that's what I run. With more and more stations pushing the price spread between 87 and 91 to $.30, I'm beginning to envy you 87+ guys.

Ran with about everything from 87 to VP c12. Don't run any different. But the VP has a nice smell to it ;).

Now just run on 87, acctually lost HP with the C12 (117 octane)

(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 08 2007,19:09) My bike's placarded for 91+, so that's what I run.  With more and more stations pushing the price spread between 87 and 91 to $.30, I'm beginning to envy you 87+ guys.
You have a Busa that has a tag on it stating it needs 91 octane?
rock.gif

Stock here and I use mid grade, usually 89. No pings or rattles at any elevation. Will be running in extreme heat in a couple weeks (probably) crossing NV, UT and WY at speed on my way to CO and then over TR Rd. at 12'000'+ so I'll see how she runs then as well. In my lower comp ratio air/oil cooled CBXs, I have to run the highest octane available or they'll rattle and ping like hell when its real hot.

(Turbo-Torch @ Aug. 08 2007,22:25)
(CrashTestDanny @ Aug. 08 2007,19:09) My bike's placarded for 91+, so that's what I run.  With more and more stations pushing the price spread between 87 and 91 to $.30, I'm beginning to envy you 87+ guys.
You have a Busa that has a tag on it stating it needs 91 octane?  
rock.gif
honda st1300

With the trash they're calling gas right now, I've had to move to 89. Without downshifting, I was getting a lot of pinging with even a little roll on on 87.

Back