octane ?

kennym4

Registered
just wondering, when I bought my bike the sailsman told me that i should always use, extra unleaded

well I was hopping around online, and another site they were all saying that a stock Busa runs better on 87 than 92 ? Do you guys find this to be true ? I just figured it was "you get what you pay for" ?

1 more question

Does changing to a full synthetic oil really make that much of a difference ? Man I'm starting to feel a sort of snag, shiffting gears, that I used to only get going from 1st to 2nd. I was told it could be lazy shifting ? But it never happened before, except 1st to 2nd ? And it almost never does it when I shift at higher rpm's, and never does it when clutchless shifting.(which I do only once in a great while)

thank you so much in advance !!!

Hey devdog how do you like your Hindle full, pc3, and Gi pro atre ? that's what i'm getting the 24th.

The bike is tuned for 87 (as per the owners manual), i had a few hicups shifting but now i shift like i mean it, and no issues. I couldn't tell you about oil im still on conventional.

higher octane only helps prevent detonation, if you don't have any on 87 then you don't need to use anything higher, bikes were tuned for 87 so that should be fine unless you've done mods to change things up a bit.

Long long discussions on this one. 87 octane is fine for the normal engine. high comprssion mods or NOS and Turbo need 91 octange or above. racing turbo shoul have at least 100Oct for long runs.

like said above... your wasting your money if you buy premium gas... bike was designed for 87... it doesnt have a high compression engine like other bike...

Trying using the search form, lots of posts on this subject. These bikes run better on 87 and develop more HP. Proved it with my own bike on a dyno.

(kennym4 @ May 17 2007,09:06) Hey devdog how do you like your Hindle full, pc3, and Gi pro atre ? that's what i'm getting the 24th.
I like the exhaust,sounds nice,pcIII...was on there when i got it so couldnt tell you the difference and the GI is great,everyone should have one

I don't think everyone is hung up on octane. I think there is a misconception that the premium is just cleaner and therefore better for your fuel injectors and better for the bike period, I believe thats why alot of people seem to run it...

(dmrowe @ May 17 2007,09:50) Trying using the search form, lots of posts on this subject.  These bikes run better on 87 and develop more HP.  Proved it with my own bike on a dyno.
Last year when I got sick of gas prices, I decided to try lower grade fuel in my other 2 bikes. Both seemed to have actually run better.

Yes, I can tell the difference going to synthetic. The bike just seems to run smoother. Both of these differences are minor, but noticable IMO.

About the ony thing I put premium in now is my S-trimmed 5.0.

we are using here in Turkey , Shell's 100-octane fuel ...

87 octane and use a full synthetic oil...you will be a happy man
super.gif

87 works GREAT, and the synthetic oil does make shifts smoooooother
tounge.gif
, although I don't really know why
wink.gif

(Guclu @ May 17 2007,14:13) we are using here in Turkey , Shell's 100-octane fuel ...
Octane rating systems are different here in the United States
wink.gif

i run 87 and mobil 1 synthetic oil. my bike runs great. even here in the hot, humid south.

The manual says to use MINIMUM 87 octane. All that means is anything less than that may hurt your engine. Use whatever pump gas you like.
wink.gif

Back