Ocean City, MD. Questionable Ethics

the paying in pennies things is kind of funny, but the only thing it's accomplishing is pissing of the poor clerk who has to recieve the payment.

Most of the city clerks all have signs that say they do not have to take change. I know the county clerk here has a sign. I just had to pay a ticket a few days ago.

Most of the city clerks all have signs that say they do not have to take change. I know the county clerk here has a sign. I just had to pay a ticket a few days ago.

I thought it was illegal to refuse legal federal tender?

I would not complain about 1 ticket, 2 is out of line and it wasn't like we were out laying on the beach either. We were spending money.

Is it even worth whining about? The only thing that matters is you pay for the time you are parked. You didn't. You admitted so in your letter. You got caught. Pay the fine.

How do they know that you two parked there together? Why do they care? You were both parked in a space that wasn't paid for. Both guilty. Now if you were the registered owner of both? ? ?

If parking is that much in demand do you really think threatening the Mayor with not returning is going to be effective? They have more customers than they can serve. If they were hurting to bring people in, parking would be free.

Buy extra time or look at a clock and go back and add time. The simple economics of it is; it is always cheaper to pay for the time, than the fine plus the time.

If you don't live in the City, your taxes aren't going to their road construction and maintenance, but you are contributing to their wear and tear. Plus your using their Public Works, sidewalks, street lights, bathrooms, drinking fountains, boardwalk etc.

It's possible that there is a local sales tax. You could argue that the products and services you consume have indirect taxes built in to their prices. In either case you are getting some value back, because the City is creating and maintaining an environment that you are atrracted to and want to visit.

Now, if your riding around in circles for and hour to park and every space in filled with a vehicle that has an expired meter, then you have a valid complaint, worthy of a letter to the Mayor. Address it to Dear Sir or Mayor. Addressing it to Rick is a Fail!

If you don't live in the City, your taxes aren't going to their road construction and maintenance, but you are contributing to their wear and tear. Plus your using their Public Works, sidewalks, street lights, bathrooms, drinking fountains,

Actually this is incorrect our federal government is a large supplier of cash to states for local and interstate roads, trails, and beautification projects through grants. Meaning our collective taxes do pay for their roads . Ntm if you live in state then your state taxes also help pay for those same projects.

And we all whine and complain from time to time, sometimes even when in the wrong you just need to get it out. :)

Actually this is incorrect our federal government is a large supplier of cash to states for local and interstate roads, trails, and beautification projects through grants. Meaning our collective taxes do pay for their roads . Ntm if you live in state then your state taxes also help pay for those same projects.

And we all whine and complain from time to time, sometimes even when in the wrong you just need to get it out. :)

Okay, but that's a stretch. I'd consider it a wash, since their taxes are being used in your city for the same reasons and ways. Yeah I know it's not a 1:1 ratio of cost benifit either.

I suppose doin' a hundred bucks of whining for 15 dollars is a great bargin. :laugh:

ocean city is a major tourist spot in maryland, they make plenty of money every summer, but parking is tight sometimes, and they will fine you quick. honestly i never pay for meter parking there though, most of the streets are just open parking, or if at boardwalk you pay as you leave for the time u were there, unless they have changed since last year, but its been that way forever. where were you parked???

if its a parking ticket not issued from the city, dont bother. sounds like its in a private parking lot, ya?

I've got about 7 parking tickets from Kent State (where my girlfriend went to school, graduated so I'm never there anymore) and another 3-4 from my college in Cleveland.

Kent hasnt seen a dime yet and never will, no matter how much paper they waste sending me letters about how I have to pay my tickets.

John Carroll will be the same way once I graduate.

Its a parking ticket unless its LEO written then ignore it, lol.

Yes it is

Most places metered parking is 1 vehicle per meter. This is the first site I found regarding OC MD parking. Ocean City Rules & Regulations

Ocean City Rules & Regulations

PARKING - Parking is available in city lots, private lots and on certain public streets. Do not park in front of any curb painted red, or blocking any public or private driveway. Parking meters on all City parking lots are in effect 24 hours a day; meters on the streets vary, but the hours are posted on the meter. No more than one vehicle may park in a designated space of any size.

I know what your sayin, it may cause more problems, but if hes not goin back... It is legal tender and they do have to accept it as payment.

Youtube doesnt lie..

- 8,800 PENNIES!!![/url]

That was funny, Im glad he went for it.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
To summarize and end this thread...

John called the Mayor, mayor said call Chief of Police.
Chief was very nice to John and said she would accept areduced payment for both fines so in the end I paid 30 bucks for both which took the fines down to 15.00 each.

We were parked in metered public parking, OC is chaos ANYTIME you try to park anywhere and meter maids are on constant patrol, if youre 1 minute late well theyre already there waiting to give you the ticket....

For a resort type place you would think there would be

1. More parking
2. A little more leniency ( at least for 2 bikes only taking 1 spot)
3. Longer duration to the meters, they dont give you nearly enough time to do anything before you constantly have to go back and feed it...unless you plan to stay by your car the entire weekend...

It was after but seriously, does the cop have nothing else better to do than act like a vulture, especially when we are there helping his economy?

I had the same thing happen to me in a car of course. I wrote the city a nasty letter and went off. They had been saying the down town area was hurting for business so I tried to help. I told them I had spent 300 dollars in their city that day and that they would never get any more of my business. I have yet to go back and spend money their. Of course they don't care but I did feel better. I never heard anything from them and the city is still struggling.

Lycan and I visited this place yesterday and after riding around for 20 minutes, we finally found a parking spot. We got a ticket that allowed us to park there for a period of time. Within 10 minutes of the expiration of the time, we were both awarded with parking tickets that unless paid within 48 hours, are $25.00 instead of $15.00. Furthermore, we were both parked in the same parking spot. This is a racket if I have ever seen one. I called the phone number on the ticket today and there was no answer. Maybe someone connected to Ocean City will see this thread and do something about it. What a scam!

Damn I wish Lycan sent me an email on this, my Dad is a pretty senior guy on the Police force. Sorry about it.

Also that is what you get for going to OC and not going to VA Beach....:laugh:

If you don't like it, copy your ticket (before you pay it) and send a letter to the Chamber of Commerce, the mayor, and the local tourism board and tell them you're never coming back or spending a dime in their rotten town again. It probably won't help, but that's the kind of thing that always makes me feel better.

Hey it's a Dino sighting...make a wish!

Hi ya Stephen!

Hello my friend. I pop in and out every now and then. How are ya?

Hey Dino! Ya know were going to Va in a couple weeks dontcha?

Were going to vist with Vabs and then Loomis....are you still um...."busy":laugh::whistle:

Or are you in town that weekend? ???check the random threads monkey :poke:and let us know!:rulez:

Back