just got a $100 ticket

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I just recieved a $100 ticket for parking on the yellowed area of handicapped spaces in front of my ownb office. The policeman was very grumpy and pissy. I was nice and asked why we didn't get a wrning first and he said the POSTED SIGN is warning enough. I never knew that LEGALLY the yellow lines were part of the hanicapped area. Plus, we park there because we employ no handicapped people and to save close parking places for the car drivers in the company. We were being nice to everyone.

I plan on scheduling a court date but expect to loose. I will be including our HR department. I don't know why this happened after 2 years of parking there. Maybe someone in a nearby company complained?

Anyone have ANY advice, from you police guys or legal people or pervious experience? I am sure techincally I am in the wrong and will pay, I just wonder why this cropped up at all? Will this affect my record or insurance? How does this type of violation fit in?

Sounds to me like your getting shafted from a Hater in your own company! Check around for your uptight soccer Mom's... Sounds like the pinheaded small brained shid they would attempt. Too damn scared of confrontation to say something...

Then, Have one of the Handicapped sign replaced with "Motorcycle Parking Only".

Fuggers, OH Hey, get it re-Marked prior to your court date! NO MORE Problem!

The yellow striped area is there so that the vans that have the automatic doors and hyd. platforms to lower people in wheelchairs to the ground have the room to do it. Also, many developmentally disabled and elderly folks need a lot of room to get in and out of theie vechicles.

I doubt someone complained, the cop just probably had a case of the as* today. Or maybe he was getting a head start on his quota for the month. Don't go to court. Pay the fine. Maybe try to get it reduced with the assistant DA BEFORE court. Otherwise you'll pay the fine PLUS court costs.

Oh, and park on the sidewalk like the rest of us! Duh!
tounge.gif

Yea, got one of them awhile back.

We were working on a construction site at a commercial building. The building was almost completely vacant, so on deliveries of materials we typically parked in the blue zone.
When I arrived the contractor was parked in the Blue zone and moved so I could park there. I was at the job site maybe 1/2 hour. Got a ticket, $100.
This was a typical practice on large jobs, parking in the blue zone for short times or deliveries. Most times the buildings were empty or almost empty.

I went to court and talked with the judge. He cut the ticket in half, and it did not go on my record.

I think the cop had a bad day, cause that is typical practice on a large job site with limited parking.

Anyway, my .02 worth.

I was nice and asked why we didn't get a wrning first and he said the POSTED SIGN is warning enough.  
ices_rofl.gif

Wonder what he would have said if you told him you've been parking there for 2 years.

See if you can do what Rev said... Get a court date, and in the meantime get one of the signs changed before your court date since you do not employ any handicapped persons nor have had any handicapped visitors by the sounds of it. I'm sure if the time ever did come, you'd be more than willing to give up the motorcycle spot for someone handicapped in the future.

Good luck. When I used to write tickets, Illegal Parking in Handicapped was my favorite one to write. Judges usually give no leeway on this ticket. It shouldn't affect your insurance but I don't know your states vc. In VA, this ticket costs you an automatic $250 (if my memory serves me correct) and can be higher.

I got one of those tickets back in October '03. I had a fairly nice officer to deal with though. $25 Ticket...Mailed the payment in the next day.

Scenario:
While I had been unemployed for 7 months, I went to a Japanese steak house restaurant, in a nearby affluent town, to buy a $150 gift certificate for the man that helped get me my current job. I was only inside about 15 minutes, and when I walked out, the officer was writing the ticket. He explained about the lined off area the same as you described. I explained what I was doing, and he graciously wrote the ticket for a simple "unauthorized parking area" vs. "handicapped".

I thanked him and went on my way. I haven't parked near a handicapped spot again.
laugh.gif

Here's the sad part: because of this officer's handling of this with his efforts to "help" our handicapped citizens, the corporation that owns the building and land has evaluated that we have too many handicapped spaces per occupancy and will most likely REDUCE the number of spaces available to limpers in the immidate future. maybe even turning it into CYCLE only parking. Nice functional society here isn't it?
smile.gif

That sucks WWJD.................................I guess I'd try to get it reduced through the DA.

Good luck!!!
smile.gif

Here's the sad part:  because of this officer's handling of this with his efforts to "help" our handicapped citizens, the corporation that owns the building and land has evaluated that we have too many handicapped spaces per occupancy and will most likely REDUCE the number of spaces available to limpers in the immidate future.   maybe even turning it into CYCLE only parking.  Nice functional society here isn't it?  
smile.gif
Because this is not a moving violation it won't affect your record or insurance.

You said you co doesn't employ any handicap people at this time so who cares if they reduce the handicap spots?

Don't beat me up too bad, but when I see able body people parking in H.C. spaces it kind of pi$$es me off. Or when I see people who have H.C. permits parking in disable spaces & they look & walk able body, that pi$$es me off too. Pay the fine & forget about it. The insurance co. could care less.

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094057123 -->

...they're there for a reason, even if you don't work with anyone that might use that spot, it's got to be there for outsiders that stop by your place of business...

Sorry you got busted, but you did get two good years out of it!
laugh.gif

I totally agree I broke some law.... now that I KNOW it. I had asked our HR departement if it was okay to park there, not knowing the yellow stripped zone was part of the parking spot, and they agreed it's fine unless someone complains. I would NEVER consciously park in handicapped spots or ever disrepect the rights of their condition. I too hate it when I see that happen. This is a private business, a private parking lot with state required spots and I simply didn't know the full extent of that particular law. I'll gladly pay it if the judge "Judges" I should, just seems a bit frivolous. But I aleast want it "judged" as opposed to letting teh nice guy get screwed yet again. It's a small fee when compared to other alledged activities available on a Hayabusa. Can't complain. Much.

Now I'll just be taking up the best prime spots in front since I arrive earlier than everyone, while the land owner takes steps to REDUCE the number of handicap spaces, and install CYCLE ONLY parking. I'd rather they pay my ticket.
smile.gif

Thanks for the views and input folks, that what this place is all about!
biggrin.gif

Make the HR folks pay.. they told you it was ok... they shoulda known.

Or, then again, maybe you next evaluation might reflect poorly after a reimbursement request of that nature.

tounge.gif

I always thought the handicapped area was marked in blue. Blue stripes, don't park. Yellow stripes, you might be able to get out of handicapped ticket. But will probably eat a non-parking area ticket, maybe less expensive.

Handicapped areas should be in blue.

Here's the sad part:  because of this officer's handling of this with his efforts to "help" our handicapped citizens, the corporation that owns the building and land has evaluated that we have too many handicapped spaces per occupancy and will most likely REDUCE the number of spaces available to limpers in the immidate future.   maybe even turning it into CYCLE only parking.  Nice functional society here isn't it?  
smile.gif
Limpers??? Holy crap, here come the crusaders......you're on your own, buddy.......

PS: I never park in handicap areas, but don't hesitate to use the sidewalk.

yer prolly gonna lose mor $ takin the day off that to just pay the darn thing.

jest do what Ecrisis says and park on the sidewalk like the rest of us!

my gamble is this: if the judge discovers I am not the criminal type with ZERO priors of anything and lowers the offense or removes it due to my innocent circumstances, I feel vindicated. if the policeman does not show, I feel vindicated. If I loose, it wont cost me time off work, I pay $9 extra in court costs, I will have at LEAST TRIED to right something in the world and I'll feel vindicated. I know I was in the wrong after the fact, had I known before hand I would have NEVER been parking there. I need some vindication, right now I simply feel violated.

In Iowa, Limper spots ;) are yellow with a blue sign in front and a wheel chair on the pavement

Back