Number 3 Main Bearing Failure

super851

Registered
I have a friend who has an gsxr 1k, he told me that he spun his number 3 bearing and he was told it was do to doing to many wheelies. He also told me that the mechanic that is doing the repair told him that the 1k and the busa's no. 3 main bearing usuaully spins around 46k miles. The mechanic said that this do to the flexing of one of the gears in the tranny. I don't know if this is true or not but I'm wondering if there is any info on this matter. I own a 2001 busa, the front wheel stays on the ground. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

I would find another tech
laugh.gif

There was a post a while back about bearing failures beings caused by wheelies.

When the bike's front end is really high up for an extended wheelie, then the oil pump loses suction to the point of oil starvation to the bearings. I don't think that small/short wheelies will hurt it too much except for the chain and tires.

The tech may have only seen Busa's that have been abused by their owners. Anything mechanical will, if abused to much, fail prematurely. Just a fact of life.

If this helps at all, a friend of mine has a 99' Busa that he destroys on a daily basis. Triple digit 12oclocks for miles at high rpm are the norm for him. We were riding one day and he noticed serious power loss and knocking. We stopped and noticed that it was out of oil. Bone dry. We figured the ole Bus' was done. After refilling the oil the power came back and knock went away. His bike has about 20k on it and he runs a good bit of nos for the track. The only thing he replaces are tires and chains. Its safe to say that the Busa is built like Fort Knox. I'm pretty sure we would hear about bearing failures on this board if anywhere. There are guys here that have 300-500 hp bikes and I havent heard about bearing failures yet.

Sounds like voodo mechanics. If this is a warranty deal make them prove it. Good luck trying to convince a small claims court that it was detroyed due to wheelies!
rock.gif

Thanks you guys are great, I've tried a number of post on a different board and never got an answer. I think that it is time to switch and make a new home.:D

Thanks you guys are great, I've tried a number of post on a different board and never got an answer. I think that it is time to switch and make a new home.:D
You won't be disappointed here.
biggrin.gif

Just make sure you post some pics every now and then, and you'll be just fine.
laugh.gif

Well thats crap. I dont do alot of MILES of wheelies but block to block etc. Ive always kept the oil slightly above full as well as went to syth. oil. At 15K miles I spent my #3 bearing, as well as all kinds of other shyyyytttttttt arggggggggg!

mad.gif

Back