Starter Bearing?

Spectre

Donating Member
Registered
The starter failed on me yesterday. It spins but does not engage. I have been told that it most likely is a worn "starter bearing", but am not sure of the part number.

If anyone has some information about this I would appreciate it greatly. I plan on getting the part and replacing the bearing this weekend when I am back at the shop.

Anyone else have this happen?

Gotcha.

hmmm, i wonder how likely would it be that all i would need to replace is the $15 bearing?...

basically i am hoping it would be this:

SKU: 09263-28031
BEARING 1 $15.06

as opposed to one of these:

6 SKU: 12600-24850
CLUTCH SET, STARTER MODEL K4 MODEL K4 1 $149.88

6 SKU: 12600-24860
CLUTCH SET, STARTER MODEL K5/K6/K7; Includes Item(s) 7 MODEL K5/K6/K7; Includes Item(s) 7 1 $171.34

(information from http://www.babbittsonline.com/

basically i am hoping it would be this:

SKU: 09263-28031
BEARING 1 $15.06

as opposed to one of these:

6 SKU: 12600-24860
CLUTCH SET, STARTER MODEL K5/K6/K7; Includes Item(s) 7 MODEL K5/K6/K7; Includes Item(s) 7 1 $171.34

(information from http://www.babbittsonline.com/

I think if you read the reply, you need this:

a bearing failure is pretty rare in any starter, they are replaced in the course of a rebuild all the time however...

~sigh~ yeah, i know what you mean.

i just got it back from the shop and then this happened. i know i shouldn't look to "patch" it, but i have been so long without riding that i am a bit desperate i guess.

was wishing for one of those, "heck that's just a <part> that only costs <change in pocket>. you can have that fixed in <time it takes to brew coffee>." :coffee:

ok. thanks folks.

Don't patch you can do a lot more damage. It most likely is the starter clutdch unit which has the bearing in it. It is not bad to change if you follow the instructions. Also make sure you get a new gasket.

will do. thanks. i guess now i will start looking around to see who offers the best price.

LOL, yeah. I was missing my old kickstart after trying to push it off the other morning.

FYI, this hill WON'T start a cold 'busa...

dang bike gets heavy when you go to push it off. definitely was a wake up call about my putting off the workouts like i have. i was sucking wind like you wouldn't believe. :laugh:

will do. thanks. i guess now i will start looking around to see who offers the best price.

I have one I can overnight would have to drive to airport in next 1 1/2 hr if you need it now or can send priority mail..lmk

it had been sitting for a little over a year. just got it put back together from the vandalism. maybe the bike has been started 10-12 times since then. had never given a problem.

Back