No 1st gear power wheelie?

chain

Registered
I've got a buddy in town on his second Hayabusa. He's maybe 225 pounds and swears he can lean over the tank, whack it open to the stop in 1st, and the front end stays down. Says he just rockets forward. Stock suspension setup right off the showroom floor, no extra performance mods.

Anyone know what to make of this? I've always been careful not to really pin it hard in 1st, only 2nd on up...

Sure, it is all in how you roll on the power.  I am about 150 and I can roll it on hard with just a little skip of the tire.  Of course I can also blip it and snach the front up way to fast.

Just keep rolling it on smooth but faster each time and you'll see just how hard this bike will launch.

I have on 03 and I weight in at 225 and once I hit about 7500Rpm in 1 the front just come right up from a roll on and my busa is lowered

He's just playing the throttle...If he were to whack it wide open the bike would wheelie or do a burnout...
evil.gif

YEah, I'd have to say it's another case of Throttlefearitis (just being plain skeered of the throttle). Lot's of folks talk about "Whacking" the throttle open and just scooting. I say BS, I roll the throttle to the stop while nut rubbing that tank and at around 5500-6K she'll lift the front about 6-12" off the deck and carry it till I puss out or shift. Not Jerking around, just a firm roll to the stop. I think for the most part folks are short changing themselves on the throttle, they need to rotate their wrists up a little higher initially to really get it to the stop, it's not a true 1/4 turn throttle.

But yeah, Whack it open in first and you either get a wheelie, a burnout or the trademark Busa move, the Burnout into a wheelie...
biggrin.gif

I agree with Rev and Stunnah, I don't believe that a solid whack of the throttle in first gear will keep the Busa down. I'm 6'5" and weigh a solid 270lbs and I can roll her in second gear real smooth and she comes up like a champ. I think that everyone's perception of "whacking" the throttle or rolling it real hard is totally different.

Brian

Mostly I think folks are whacking off...
biggrin.gif
I know this because I catch myself sub-consiously holding back on the throttle a little bit sometimes. I mean without even realizing it...

OR It could be an altitue thing. I know our Denver Brothers Loose about 15% at that altitude....

Gotta agree with the others. I'm still 300+ lbs (was 350+) and couldn't whack the throttle to the stop in first without loftin' the front. 225lbs can't be better at holdin' down a busa than 300...
rock.gif

Either he just says/THINKS he's whackin' it when in fact he's actually rollin' on, or somethin' is wrong with his busa.
wink.gif

I have 310hp with 200lbs of torque and can keep the front end down. It is more of an art to keep it down. I can not keep it dow in all gears though., usually if racing up in 3rd and 4th but not a lot.

I have 310hp with 200lbs of torque and can keep the front end down. It is more of an art to keep it down. I can not keep it dow in all gears though., usually if racing up in 3rd and 4th but not a lot.
Bet you can't "whack" the throttle to the stop in first (as his friend is claming) with 200lbs of torque and keep it down...
rock.gif
I'm certain you can use precise throttle management, go REALLY fast, and still keep it down, but I have a hard time imaginin' even a stock busa stayin' down if the throttle is "whacked" open in first and held there. If you can do it sittin' on 310/200, please teach me so I can keep my mildly modded stocker on the ground after whackin' it WFO in first and holdin' it. I can finesse the throttle and go fast without loftin, but if I whack it open I get the same result as Rev at around 6-6.5k...
wink.gif

I think the key word here is "whack". My idea of whackin' the throttle is gettin' a grip so that I can turn it to lock and immediately snappin' it to the stop. No finesse, no featherin', just BAM, WFO...

Alright, how about this scenario.

Tall, 225 pound rider, leaning over the tank, weight forward off the pegs, 1st gear, leave stoplight and quickly but smoothly and fluidly roll the throttle open to the stop. No "whacking" but a smooth and precise move to WFO.

Think a stock busa will carry the front end or will, for the most part, roar ahead and let the guy take it to redline before catching 2nd gear?

A little from column A, a little From B....

OK, I'm 6'1" 225, I launch pretty soft then smoothly but quickly roll the throttle to the stop. At this point the front end is still planted, or at least in contact. However, as the needle sweeps past 5K rpms things are very light and by 6K rpms we have lift off. Depending on the temperature and traction it will carry to 2nd, or come down prior to shifting. Either way it's pinned FWO through the gears unless I catch it wrong, or have to much weight back, then it will continue to rise a little much for me.

It's the length and mass of the Busa that allows you to put all that power down without a mondo wheelie. On a Gixxer1K you roll on the throttle at the same rat eyour really going to have some air under the front. NOW, it's entirely possible to roll Real Gradually into the throttle hitting FWO at around 7-8K or so and probably never get the front off the ground but then your not really getting the best out of a stock Busa. I mean the midrange is what the Busa is all about...IMO

I "used to" think that my Busa wouldn't lift the front, but NOT NOW. I will say that the Busa is designed to stay down for the most part, but after a day playing on the back country roads around here, I finally figured out what everybody meant about "snapping" the throttle WFO, and then up she came.

I tried the bounce wheelie with the throttle going steady at 5K, let off, and then WFO, but that tends to produce a little more violent uprising of the front end that is not to my liking.

There's just something about the way the front just slowly lifts and the Busa just carries is along that is soooo sweeeeeet. I love that feeling.
cool.gif

Info: 5'7", 170lbs, fully fwd on tank but not tucked.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094249709 -->

Well guys, I just got back from a test flog of my bike. With 1,100 miles on the odo (just bought it about two weeks ago) and no performance mods, I found a lonely little stretch out in the countryside near my house.

Repeatedly, I let out in first, leaned my 220 pounds all the way over the tank, then smoothly but quickly rolled it open all the way to the stop. I speed-shifted into second, held it to redline and speed-shifted again into third, then whoa'd her.

I must have done that about a half dozen times, took 500 miles off my rear tire in ten minutes, and had a thrill I never experienced on any of my repli-racers.

This is the closest to feeling shot out of a cannon that I will every know...

ZERO wheelies.

I love it.

<!--EDIT|opdsgt
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1094256998 -->

I just got over my own case of Throttlefearitis (funny stuff Rev..LOL)...it being my first new bike and all
biggrin.gif
I haven't even thought of whacking it wide open in first, mainly because my instincts tell me that could get a little hairy. The Busa has V-8 torque....I don't see any other outcome in first whacking it open except a wheelie or tire spin, although rolling on is a diff story I think, the rate of roll would prolly be your wheelie control right there......I'll work up to that and let you guys know my experience...kinda sounds like fun actually (another wheelie nut in the making? lol). I do know I've been easy on it and it still gets pretty light in the front...it feels like power wheelies aren't too far off...
tounge.gif

I agree with above but also whats his tire condition like. I notice that with newer sticker tires that it snatches right up in 1st & 2nd. However when the tires get worn pretty even and good that it will launch or spin before it will hook and come up. So out of 5 whacks I would get one wheelie. Kinda how I know it's time to consider getting new shoes.

ICE

Forgot to add that if is front suspension is set super soft and he's putting all his weight forward theres not much rebound thus no upward recoil?

ice

fluid rapid twist or slow and steady, as long as it's pegged before 7k-8k you will salute the sky on a stock Busa. Btw, whats your altitiude.

Back