First Wheelie

(brendanp @ Feb. 25 2007,23:31) I go out and practice all the time on my Busa......
It becomes really addictive,so watch it,you'll be obsessed soon!
+1!!!

(arm1151 @ Feb. 26 2007,21:41) I would love to be able to pull a wheelie and hold it for a short time. . Thats the truth. I've pulled the wheel up but just a little. I guess I just don't how and am afraid to fugg up my new scoot.
Same here !!!

Well, I've done a few from just accelerating, who hasn't? But considering the front tire does most of the braking, I think I'll keep it down.
beerchug.gif

I've had the tire just off the ground in 1st by accident, but there is no way I can get it off the ground in 2nd w/out possibly popping the clutch. I've hammered it down in 2nd and the wheel will not get off the ground - all the way to redline...not that I really wanted it to, but I just wanted to see if it would even just get off the ground...no such luck.

Maybe I'm not leaning/sitting back enough...who knows.

(Over_Easy @ Feb. 27 2007,14:36) I've had the tire just off the ground in 1st by accident, but there is no way I can get it off the ground in 2nd w/out possibly popping the clutch.  I've hammered it down in 2nd and the wheel will not get off the ground - all the way to redline...not that I really wanted it to, but I just wanted to see if it would even just get off the ground...no such luck.

Same, here. I've rolled hard on the gas in 2nd up to redline and never had it come off the ground... I'm I'm only 165 pounds. I have only been able to get the nose up in 1st when I get the rpms over 5k and then let off... and then crack it. I roll on it pretty quick in 1st and the nose still stays planted. And I've also got a 43 sprocket! It still stays planted unless I let off and then crack it in first.

I've talked with several people here in private that believe people who say they can get it up in 2nd or 3rd with power alone are probably lying... or maybe they just think they are getting it up.

So to everyone.... I don't mean to call anyone a liar, but just HOW can you get the nose up in 2nd on power alone without slipping the clutch? I know others are interested, too.

Is your bike lowered? I've found that by lowering your bike effects the geometry of the swing arm, and tends to keep the bike down more. Pretty much any stock busa will power wheelie in 1st and 2nd....Now that said going to a 42 tooth rear sprocket brings it right back to the wheelie machine she is. Also if she pops up fast DONT jump right off the throttle, just ease off a little and she will come down alot easier, and with alot more control.

I just know I've launched it in 2nd and it still stays down and that's with a 43 rear and at stock height. Maybe to get it up in 2nd one needs to get the rpms up, then let off, then crack it? I don't know.

Are you sure your getting traction? the only time the bunch of us cant get it up is when the tire is spinning. (and this is hard to notice) and yes the easyest way to wheelei is up to around 4,000 , back off and crack it. I dont know about 2nd? Normally we all intentionally wheelie 1st, then it just power wheelies through 2nd... Thats to say as long as we dont push 1st above 8,000 or so...

I've redlined 1st then went to 2nd and redlined and never had it come up. I'm actually glad because I'd rather have it stay down where it belongs.

All mine are accidental. Thank God for that steering damper. I lot of my buddies screw up their shovels, tags, and rear lights, not to mention forks and front fenders. The nose will leave a nasty mark across the fender if you come down hard. No doubt the Busa is loaded with easily accessible torque.
all_coholic.gif

Mine will power wheelie in 2nd. I hold a constant speed at 7000 rpm, slide my ass as far back as it will go, snap the throttle shut and as the front end rebounds whack the throttle wide open. It comes up in a nice smooth power wheelie. As the revs increase I roll out of the throttle and down it comes. I don't have it any where near the balance point and I don't have the skill to shift into third.
But it WILL power wheelie in second...

cheers
ken

(PaNDeM1C @ Feb. 27 2007,14:46) So to everyone.... I don't mean to call anyone a liar, but just HOW can you get the nose up in 2nd on power alone without slipping the clutch?
Just roll on the throttle 1st-3rd gear, oh, you meant on a bike without a turbo?

With stock gearing and no performance mods other than some bolt on cans my bike would come up in 2nd around 60mph by giving a little blip then pin it and a good tug on the bars and up she came.

Ive only had the wheel up in first also; by bliping the throttle and also accidently with no blip. Ive tried to keep them up but its hard because it happens so fast. I have 2nd pinned all the time and it never comes up. Im thinking Its my 250lbs of weight that keeps it down. Anyways the weirdest thing is that the only time Ive had rear wheel spin is turning from a stop and crossing the white line on the road, the rear kicks out a little then grabs somtimes, but thats it. I never get wheel spin otherwise. I guess Im to soft on the clutch or somthing...

2nd gear

5K rpms

SIT UP and SLIDE BACK til your butt is against the hump.
Weight on the SEAT.. not the pegs

At steady 5K rpms, INSTANTLY whack the throttle to the stop.... and...
as you crest 7K rpms, up she comes.. smooth as silk.

Make sure you're sitting up and back on the seat. The tendancy is to hug up against the tank and crouch down (putting pressue on the bars) the instant you hit the gas... this is just enough to keep the front on the ground with a stock busa with stock gearing. With a 43 rear, there should be NO problem doing power wheelies in 2nd.

If you STILL can't get it to come up, just blip the throttle, release it to get the nose to dive under compression (less than 1/2 second) and then whack the throttle.

The busa is a TORQUE monster... she will power wheelie with ease in 2nd.

Also... a 250 lb rider should be able to power wheelie easier if you are truly sitting back in the seat... it puts more weight aft and the front wants to rise easier. I find it harder to NOT power wheelie w/ a passenger when passing cars etc. BTW.. I'm 215 and do power wheelies in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (a little blip/whack at 6K and pinned through about 8K to lift it in 3rd)

Remember to let her down easy
cool.gif

Mabye I cant keep my wheelies airborne because of the described natural tendencey to shift body weight forward to hang on the bars. Ill try relaxing more. Thanks for coaching! You have the wheelie down to a science.
super.gif

(PaNDeM1C @ Feb. 27 2007,12:46)
(Over_Easy @ Feb. 27 2007,14:36) I've had the tire just off the ground in 1st by accident, but there is no way I can get it off the ground in 2nd w/out possibly popping the clutch.  I've hammered it down in 2nd and the wheel will not get off the ground - all the way to redline...not that I really wanted it to, but I just wanted to see if it would even just get off the ground...no such luck.

Same, here. I've rolled hard on the gas in 2nd up to redline and never had it come off the ground... I'm I'm only 165 pounds. I have only been able to get the nose up in 1st when I get the rpms over 5k and then let off... and then crack it. I roll on it pretty quick in 1st and the nose still stays planted. And I've also got a 43 sprocket! It still stays planted unless I let off and then crack it in first.

I've talked with several people here in private that believe people who say they can get it up in 2nd or 3rd with power alone are probably lying... or maybe they just think they are getting it up.

So to everyone.... I don't mean to call anyone a liar, but just HOW can you get the nose up in 2nd on power alone without slipping the clutch? I know others are interested, too.
Roll up to 6 grand or so in second under light throttle then snap it open and it'll come up. Its all about throttle control. Most folks tend to roll the throttle open rather than snapping it open. Know your bikes powerband, don't be timid with the wrist, and it'll come up
wink.gif
tounge.gif

(DeermeetBusa @ Feb. 28 2007,18:34) Mabye I cant keep my wheelies airborne because of the described natural tendencey to shift body weight forward to hang on the bars. Ill try relaxing more. Thanks for coaching! You have the wheelie down to a science.  
super.gif
here here
beerchug.gif

Mine will power wheelie in second. I just sit back in the seat and pin it. It is not a big wheeelie, I'd say 6 inches. I have never power wheelied in 3rd but the frontend is very lite and will come up if there is a bump in the road. To pull a decent wheelie in second I have had to use the clutch to get it up.

Back