Nissan titan - ford f-150

thanks for all of your input......still deciding.....I like the everything about the Titan better except for the ride. The F-150 rides more like a car whereas the Titan rides more like a truck. One thing I'm trying to figure out is if the busa will fit in the bed on the Titan...

Well I dont want to confuse you but I just came from an 01' Supercrew ford, 5.4, 3.55 gears, pretty much loaded. I loved this truck and only traded due to miles. I test drove a new ford for a weekend and heres my evaluation.

+Great ride
good looking truck
nice updated interior

-gas milage sucks 13city/16 hwy, 9-10 towing a boat
poor power for rated HP
3.73 gears and even felt weaker than my 01'
test data showed the new truck was slower than my 01'

Ended up with a 06' Silverado with the new vortec max package. Crew cab, 4x4, 6.0 litre 345hp/380tq. 4.10 gears standard, heavy duty rear with posi, heavy duty trans 4l80e. This truck has really has exceeded my expectations. I fish allot as a hobby and tow a good bit, this truck is averaging 13 and change towing (in the mountians of NC) and around town is in the low 15's. I havent been on a trip as I only have 1500 miles on it so far. If you havent ruled out chevys I would take the time to test drive one, I was truly impressed. By the way this isnt whats considered a HD 1500, its basically a 4 wheel drive SS pickup.

Why not get the truck you like most and just get one of these to tote the busa with....

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-carrier-rack-Sport-bike-trailer-hayabusa_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQitem
Z4645020434QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting" target="_blank">ebay sport bike trailer</a>

I have an 04 titan crew cab and love it. I tow an 8000 lb toy hauler an have no problems. The only thing that was recalled was the brakes but that should not be a problem on a new one. The cab is huge with alot of back seat space. I had an 01 F-150 supercrew until the wife totaled it. The titan is a much better truck ( in my opinon) than the ford. I personally like the looks of the Titan better also.

thanks for all of your input......still deciding.....I like the everything about the Titan better except for the ride.  The F-150 rides more like a car whereas the Titan rides more like a truck.  One thing I'm trying to figure out is if the busa will fit in the bed on the Titan...
with the bed extender it does...

I checked out the Ford site linked by Dennis, though this was interesting I had to laugh at how biased this was toward ford. Like during the slalom course they didnt mention that the ford was equipped with 20" wheels which makes a huge difference in handling. Also when it got to some aspects if would only compare to those worse and leave out other brands.

I checked out the Ford site linked by Dennis, though this was interesting I had to laugh at how biased this was toward ford. Like during the slalom course they didnt mention that the ford was equipped with 20" wheels which makes a huge difference in handling. Also when it got to some aspects if would only compare to those worse and leave out other brands.
LOL! I got a chuckle out of that to!!!
laugh.gif

Newsflash! Ford conducts investigation and discovers they make the best trucks!

wtf?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

There's more ford trucks on the road than any other truck or vehicle for one simple reason...they'll sell ya one cheaper than anybody else will...and also...because ford will sell trucks real cheap?...they get the lions share of...pay attention here..."FLEET SALES".....and it's those "Fleet Sales" that make ford trucks the "Best Selling" and so many of'em on the road.

Also...In it's mere three years of existance?...Titan has had but three recalls...(2) Recalls for '04's (their first model year) one being the "shaking front brakes" which I assume was ABS related and was handled immediately and the other '04 recall was for beefier seat belt anchor points to meet DMV/DOT regs and in '06 they had (1) recall...which affected just over 400 units...maybe a shifts worth...where a welder missed one area of multiple arc welds on a door latch....and that's it...for a new model/release truck that ain't bad...but go check out F150 Recalls...and this is a truck that's been around for many decades...pitman arms falling loose and crashing, ignition switchs and electonis catching fire and burning the vehicle to the ground..houses along with them if parked in garages...fuel leaks...electronic software issues.

Sorry...I owned two ford trucks...an '87 ranger xlt that went into self destruct mode at 36,000 miles and blamed myself for getting a toy and not their Flagship F-150...so I traded the '87 ranger in for a brand new '89 XLT Lariet F150...which was like jumping out of the pot and into the fire...and they both suxed...and not...a little...and I damn near threw a party the day I racked 96K on that finally paid off POS F150 and traded it for a '94 toyota tacoma...and ever since?...my wife and I have owned nothing but Toyota's, Honda's and now Nissans....which rarely if ever have any issues at all and unlike the chevy/gmc and ford dealerships we've dealt with?...if anything ever does go wrong with a toyota, honda or nissan?..the service people turn themselves inside out to make it right...which beats he11 out of arguing with ford service writters..hell...where the jap based dealers wanna know right away what's wrong and fix it immediately?...the american based dealers wanna ague with you and convince ya that's "That's Normal"...or worse yet?.."That's Your Imagination...It Isn't Really Happening"...Pi$$ Me Off just thinking about the shid ford put me through!
mad.gif

Sorry...the blue oval folks put me amd the misses in the poor house for quite sometime...including my wifes '91 Taurus GL that ate us out of house and home via CV Joints, AC Compressors and finally a smoked tranny at 56K Miles...and she drove it grandma style...I had to call the bank on that one..come pick it up....and the the wife and I paid for years for something we didn't even own....fug ford!
mad.gif
but?..experiences may vary...but I hope you can understand my personal disdain for FMC.

On a brighter note?..My new Titan Rox!...350 watt Rockford Fosgate Sound System and all...Bosch Brakes, Dana Axels, 32 Valve DOHC V8 which is punching out more torque and hp than any other truck in it's class...and it's probably the full length box frame with 8 welded in crossmembers making it the strongest frame in class that makes the Titan "ride" More like a truck...to me?..out on I-95?..with the leather LE package?..crew cab?...I feel like I'm riding in a freaking limo! LOL! Glassy smooth!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

mad.gif

Of course the info is going to be biased, it is at a Ford site. They will present the things that put them in a favorable light. That doesn't mean these things aren't noteworthy however.

I didn't realize the wheels were 20" on the Ford, they look like my 18" wheels from what I can see. How did we determine this?

I don't see how you can say the bump course is biased, they all run the same speed over variable bump size and spacing. You can see the frame twisting is the worst on the ones with the cheesiest frames. The Titan did almost as well as the F-150 in that test. The Toy(ota) and the Chevy were by far the worst. That shouldn't be a surprise, but it is a graphic illustration.

Bill - the Titan doesn't have the strongest frame, but it is pretty good. A strong frame should give a vehicle the ability to ride BETTER, not worse, although spring rates, shocks, etc will affect that. You can be proud of that Dana rear all you like, but it doesn't take much more than a glance to figure out that is the weak link.

You can hold a grudge if you like, but there is no point in comparing a 2006 truck to anything else, be it a previous generation 2001 F150 or a 1987 Ranger (19 years ago!). For what it's worth, the two times I've been to the Ford dealer for warranty work they took care of it no questions asked. They even replaced the original oil filter that I said was on too tight. The only warranty problem I've ever had has been from a Japenese company. Suzuki ...

I don't know where you get your Ford recall stats, some of what you mention are from previous generation trucks. I haven't had ANY recalls. You seem to forget the Titan rear end debacle. It may not be a "recall" but you better not tow with a first year Titan. Those '05 model year cooling fins wouldn't give me much faith in that weenie rear end.

Buy what you like. Use all the info available and test for yourself. Ask for opinions here and opinions are what you'll get.

I have a titan LE, leather seats almost all the options offered, the looks inf the fords interior is awseome,, I have a friend who has a 06 f150 lariat its great inside, thats where it stops, the seats in the ford are rock hard, do some research the titan has the most comfortable seats in the class and i can tell u that is very true that ford cant touch the titans seats. also drive the ford, that motor compared to the titan is not close the titan is much faster and many people dont know this its a 1/2 sec faster than the hemi in the 1/4 mile. the ford again does have a very nice looking truck but the titan kicks its ass, I hate driving that ford compared to the titan. dont get the ford you will love the titan

Have you checked the safety of the fords? I am not sure of this year...But the first year the new body style came out it "killed" the crash test dummy. So that may be something you want to consider. My buddy went with the Titian after he read the safety specs...having a child and wife he had to make other considerations.

aother notable points here are...

1. most of thhe folks who are championing Fords F150 have never owned a Titan where many of those championing Nissans New Titan did in fact used to own a Ford...and truck for truck?...The Titan flat out kicks the Fords azz...from a man who's owned both..and especially no comparison in quality fit and finish...oh...the ford may be a tad more "stylish looking" inside but...look under the hood...because it's there where you can truely see that most everything in the fords "under hood layout" looks like an after-thought where you can tell at a glance in the titans motorwell that everything was well planned and thought out long before the first two pieces were joined together...he11...Ijust changed the oil in the titan for the first time yesterday and it's 4 10mm hex heads to drop the splash pan....and the oil filters right there...low, front and center...and get this...just under the filter is an "Oil Sillway/Drain/Runoff" welded right to the frame so when ya spin off the old oil filter?...all that oil that used to run down your hand/arm/ratchet now flows right down the spillway and into your drainpan....neat!
biggrin.gif

2. I also recently learned that the Titans 5.6L engine is straight out of the Infinity Q45...whichwas a hellified engine itself at 4.5L...then punched out and steel sleeved to a 5.6L for the Titan...6 Bolt Mains....super high rise composite intake manifold w/ ultra long cross-ports for greatly increased torque...he11...the Titans 5.6L reminds of what the 5.7 TBI in my old '89 Chevy Stepside should've been..same meaty growl but with far more linear power and far more of it.

oh and dennis?...ford always has been known for hellified over-built rear ends...it's just the rest of the truck that falls apart around it. LOL!
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

aother notable points here are...

1. most of thhe folks who are championing Fords F150 have never owned a Titan where many of those championing Nissans New Titan did in fact used to own a Ford...and truck for truck?...The Titan flat out kicks the Fords azz...from a man who's owned both..and especially no comparison in quality fit and finish...oh...the ford may be a tad more "stylish looking" inside but...look under the hood...because it's there where you can truely see that most everything in the fords "under hood layout" looks like an after-thought where you can tell at a glance in the titans motorwell that everything was well planned and thought out long before the first two pieces were joined together...he11...Ijust changed the oil in the titan for the first time yesterday and it's 4 10mm hex heads to drop the splash pan....and the oil filters right there...low, front and center...and get this...just under the filter is an "Oil Sillway/Drain/Runoff" welded right to the frame so when ya spin off the old oil filter?...all that oil that used to run down your hand/arm/ratchet now flows right down the spillway and into your drainpan....neat!
biggrin.gif

2. I also recently learned that the Titans 5.6L engine is straight out of the Infinity Q45...whichwas a hellified engine itself at 4.5L...then punched out and steel sleeved to a 5.6L for the Titan...6 Bolt Mains....super high rise composite intake manifold w/ ultra long cross-ports for greatly increased torque...he11...the Titans 5.6L reminds of what the 5.7 TBI in my old '89 Chevy Stepside should've been..same meaty growl but with far more linear power and far more of it.

oh and dennis?...ford always has been known for hellified over-built rear ends...it's just the rest of the truck that falls apart around it. LOL!
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You know, nobody came on here talking up their Ford and talking down the Nissan, I doubt your 89 xlt could compare to the new models. They are two totally different trucks. I've had several new Ford trucks, 1 of each of the last four body styles, one being an F-250 with the diesel. They've each been better than the last. I'm sure for some the Nissan is a great choice and that for some the Ford is better, it depends on what you want to do with it. For me I'll stick with the Fords until they give me a reason not to.

thanks again everyone.....I'm still up in the air on which truck to get.....dang, this sucks!
sad.gif

Well Bill, the "kicks ass" depends on what you are measuring. If the Nissan stacks up better for what you are measuring, then you are driving the right truck. If we want to compare quarter mile times there is no doubt the Nissan would beat the F150. If I’m going to drive across the country and up some mountains pulling 9500 pounds there is no doubt the F150 is the way to go. The Nissan is a nice truck, and they did a pretty good job for the first attempt at a real truck. It isn’t flawless nor is it the best choice on all points. I guess we can just disagree on the fit-and-finish topics. The Nissan has just as much orange peel as every other domestic paint job. (When I paint something no matter how hard I try to match the factory finish I can’t get as much orange peel as factory stuff.)

As for the layout, I don't know. The old Fords had the best deal on the oil filter - remote mounted and you don't even have to get under the truck to change it. My new one has a drip trough exactly as you describe, and I don't have to take any screws out to get to the filter ... there is a hole in my "skid plate". The air filter comes out in a drawer after releasing two over-center clamps. It really can't get any easier than that. I have no problem finding the washer fluid fill, the oil fill, etc.

Ford has been using 4 and 6 bolt mains for over 10 years, nothing new there. As for the 89 Chevy, it isn't a fair comparison. I'm pretty sure any truck GM made in 1989 would outperform the 1989 Nissan offerings. Obviously there will be more ex-Ford or Chevy owners driving Titans than the reverse simply because there are so few Titan drivers and most people keep their truck for three years anyway. There are a million people driving new F-150's every year and nearly that many for lots of years in the past. Similar numbers for GM. It isn't reasonable for any of them to compare a new Titan (or most any new truck) to something made in the 80's. I doubt there have even been a million Titans sold here in the three years of their existence.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the F150 doesn’t have an over designed rear. The Titan is under designed. We know it is inadequate without the aluminum cover. Do you really feel comfortable that the aluminum cover addresses the ROOT cause of the failures?

The Titan has a nice engine, as does the Ram. The bulk of reports I've gotten from people I trust indicate that there is a slight penalty to pay in fuel economy. My main beef is when someone dismisses domestic stuff as junk not based on the facts. Actually the facts indicate that Nissan as a company is no better than Ford when compared to Toyota or Honda. The F150 is a great truck and deserves a fair evaluation.

Have you checked the safety of the fords? I am not sure of this year...But the first year the new body style came out it "killed" the crash test dummy. So that may be something you want to consider. My buddy went with the Titian after he read the safety specs...having a child and wife he had to make other considerations.
Well your buddy made the wrong decision if he was looking at crash specs.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety rates the F150 as "best pick".

http://www.roadandtravel.com/crashra....04.html

You know, nobody came on here talking up their Ford and talking down the Nissan,
yeah...I noticed that...sorta speaks volumes too..doesn't it?
tounge.gif

Seriously?...I'm very happy you've had good luck with all your fords...and happy for you that you did not hafta endure the financial hardships and aggravation the blue oval folks put me and my family through...the wifes taurus was the straw that broke the camels back (so to speak) and put me and the wife in a situation where we had no other recourse (other than losing our home) but to file bankruptcy...back in '93...the birth year of our 2nd daughter..and we were stripped down to $1,500 worth of personal belongings, 1 vehicle and...god bless...our home...grim slim years but I'm proud that the wife hung tough and we saved it...the home...and it wasn't that we over-spent...as a matter of fact the judge was actually shocked that we had less than $5K CC debt yet were filing...and it was the combo punch of after me owning 2 bad ford trucks in a row and the wifes taurus smoking it's tranny after 3 sets of CV's and 2 A/C compressors accompanied with my unexpected lay-off from pratt & whitney that did us..he11....the judge knew we was being straight up and the irs gal felt so bad for us (after hearing what we went through) that she expedited our tax refund to help us out AFTER the hearing...enough tax money that I could afford a $700 '87 Monte Carlo with 130K on the odo to get back and forth to work....so yeah...please forgive me for being so salty towards FMC.....but I am.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Dennis, you must just be a ford guy, because if i would travel cross country no way would i ride in a ford with those rock hard azz seats, the titans are like a lexus seat. also look at the shootout when the trucks came out, it had ford, toyota, dodge and nissan. the Titan beat all of the other trucks hands down, if it were a football game it would of been 28-0 Nissan, ford did however take a very distant 2nd. the titan has 500lbs less than the ford towing cap. thats it! NO WAY NO HOW is the ford better than the titan, go drive one of each its that simple, also the titan has the largest cab size of any of the crew cabs in its class

Someday when it is time for me to look for another truck, I will seriously consider a NISSAN (hint: my wife adores the ARMADA)
Meanwhile, I am very happy with my FORDS. Now, got an excuse to post pictures again (BTW, my Harley truck has leather seats and my Lightning seats are made of Alcantara)
967-92-1075.jpg

967-92-2355.jpg

Back