Nissan titan - ford f-150

wink.gif

the Nissan has some MPG issues and brake anomilies.
Ford? well....I really have no comment there, but warranty, MPG and customer service would be top issues.
I went to every camp and drove them all (except ford) and bottom line was that another brand offered more truck for less money and with an exceptional warranty (in 05). I delt with every wholesale rep in town....and all i can say is that this year they offer the MDS which to me would be a factor given that the next 5+ years might bring unheard of gas prices. The same truck as mine with the MDS is getting 23~24MPG on the highway. The best I can do is 21MPG (keeping it under 70MPH)

So this is for the "other guys".....

DSCF0004.jpg

you mention loading the bike in the back of the truck....then why consider a fullsize truck?
save yourself thousands and look at the smaller ones. unless you have something that you pull regularly over 3K pounds or a large family....go with a midsize, like the Frontier NISMO.....or similar.
Take the extra cash and buy the wifey something nice....like shiney wheels on the busa to match the "sparkle in her eyes"
laugh.gif

umm "if" you're married... I didn't notice.

Boxsterr -

I ride on those "rock hard" seats every day. They are ergonomically correct and actually quite comfortable. Go check out some seats in a BMW and see if they remind you of F150 seats or Titan seats. But hey, to each their own, that is why we have choices. As for the shootout, I don't know which one you are speaking of, but there are plenty of them where the F150 was chosen as #1. Regarding the idea of pulling 9500 pounds across country, the point is that the F150 is quieter, rides better, and does not have known issues with the rear end when towing heavy loads.

Wait for the new Silverado, due out in 6 months or so...

It'll crush the F-150 (which is still a great machine, btw...) and the Nissan Pseudo-truck like bugs.

Unlike the position of some here, the Nissan's 5.6 liter is a turd in my estimation.  It's heavy, complicated, physically large (but still with only a mid-range displacement @ 5.6 liters) and thirsty.

The 6.2 liter that will debut either at the launch of the new Silverado or slightly thereafter produces around 380hp and over 400 lbs. ft. of torque, variable valve timing, is flex-fuel (E85) capable, has displacement-on-demand cylinder deactivation and a 6-speed automatic will be available.

Not only will the 6.2 produce 35 more horsepower and more torque, but it also beats the Nissan 5.6 in FUEL ECONOMY and in HD applications the Chevy just buries it in ruggedness and towing.

<!--EDIT|PacerX
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149259899 -->

Ahhh yes... the Chrysler Hemi...

The finest imitation of a GM LSx motor in production today.

"That thing got a Hemi?"

"No, not really... really it's just a less efficient GM LS2 with it's valves turned 90 degrees and an iron block."

dennis i would guess you never drove a titan or sat in one then, I have drove both a titan ahd a f-150, they are not close as far as rides the titan seats are far far better, go look at the lexus seats compaird to a bmw see what one gets a better rating for comfort, these seats are not even close, bmw is a drivers car , meaning more towards sport seats. Just because you have a f150 does not mean it a better truck, go drive a titan for a day i would bet you would change you mind

The 2 trucks are both equally great trucks except for the one thing, Resale value. The Nissan will hands hold it value better then the Ford. Due yourself a favor, buy the Nissan. BTW Nissan will be much more reliable. Just my $.02. Good Luck.

<!--EDIT|Spinbub13
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149273588 -->

Some more notables..

The brake issue with the '04 new model release Titans has been resolved and put to sleep by early '05...

Some Titan owners have experienced rear diferential failures..less than 1%...with well over 2/3rds of that being 4WD owners with mods such as lift kits and waaay over-spec 35" mud tires...in an effort to fix the abuses?...in '05 Nissan upgraded the rear with a finned pumpkin cover that took ger oil capacity from 64ozs to 92ozs annnnd...went from lightweight conventional gear oil too 75W/140 synthethic gear oil in the rear differential...oddly enough?..The Nissan Armada is the exact same power/drivetrain and the armada owners have experienced no rear differential complaints...and of the other 99+% of Titan Owners?...they pull everything from 1500lb trailers to 7,000lb horse trailors and 9,000lb Toyhaulers with more compliments than complaints.

The Titan smokes the Dodge Hemi in the quarter by a full 1/2 second.

I'm running full synth "Pennsoil Platnum" and a K&N airfilter and am getting better than expected mpg...averaging 17/18 with a combo of both city/hwy...bet I could best 20mpg with pure superslab.

The Titans power and acceleration is sick for a truck of this size and class..punching it feels like I'm gett'in shot out of slingshot!
laugh.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Well I'm back after a long weekend of cleaning up around my mom's place. I hauled loads of stuff across the pasture to the burn pile in the F150 and I'm happy to report that there was not even one squeak or rattle while doing so.

Boxterr -
I haven't spent enough time in a Titan to know if the seats are as good as you say, but I know that this can't be determined on a test drive. I've bought couches before that seemed really soft, plush, and nice only to find out that after you sit on them for awhile they suck. Remember, you started the debate on seats saying that the F-150 seats are so bad a person shouldn't buy the truck. After thousands of miles in mine I am here to tell you first hand that this is plain wrong. It would seem that millions of other people bought F-150's didn't find the seats so horrible either. Of the reviews I've read, none of them complained about the seats.

Honestly the interior (including seats) was one of the things I was impressed by on the F150. A friend of mine who owns a Chevy pickup drove my truck and with absolutely no prompting commented how he like the seats and gave some specific complaints about the Chevy seats. He has been in the market and concluded that the F150 was the one to buy. I'm not making this up, it is what happened.

I don't think the F150 is a better truck because that is what I bought, I bought it because I think it is a better truck for me. Equally, just because you own a Nissan doesn't mean it is a better truck.

Bill -
I think you work for Nissan. The statistics and details you quote could only be compliled by Nissan and would not be published to the public, or else you are quoting something a dealer made up. Your smooth way of making Nissan's addressing of a weakness seem like great response to owner "abuse" is another indication to me.

How many Ford, Dodge, or GM trucks do you see with lift kits and big tires? They don't have the rear end failure issues the Nissan does. I understand how larger wheels/tires can put more strain on the drivetrain, but the rear end would see much greater loads during heavy towing. I don't see how a lift kit would stress the rear end in any way other than possible increased wind resistance. The changes Nissan made are simply band-aids and don't address the root cause which is an inferior rearend.

You've stated the Nissan beats the Dodge by .5 sec in the quarter. Until I see a Nissan ext cab 4wd run 14-flats I'm not believing this. No offense, I'm sure you read it somewhere or saw somebody do a poor job of running a Dodge next to a Nissan.

In the end, I think the Nissan is a good truck, has its advantages, has its weaknesses. It is NOT the be-all, end-all of trucks. I understand why you wouldn't buy a Ford, although there must be more to the story of all the failures.

Also - go to Google and type in "Nissan Titan rearend failure" and see what comes up. Good grief!

Here is a pic of Titan rearends at ONE dealership. Can you smell a problem here??

titan1.jpg

Nice truck bro... I have its sister in navy blue. Hint (K&N intake and magnaflow exhaust will up you 13 horsepower and 2.5 mpg in town)

Also - go to Google and type in "Nissan Titan rearend failure" and see what comes up.  Good grief!

Here is a pic of Titan rearends at ONE dealership.  Can you smell a problem here??

titan1.jpg
Dennis...this is more to make sax feel better about his new purchase rather than to convert you...so Sax?...here's the deal with the Titan Rear End Debacle...

a handful...far less tha 1% and by and in large mostly 4X4 folks that have had rear end failures in their titans...and this is from a board of over 8,000 registered Titan Owners here is their PDF format compiled list (stickied to the top of their main general forum for months) of those who experienced rearend failures and filed complaints with the NHTSA..all 37 of'em...and about 95% 4X4 with several folks filing several times each...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums....7662647

conversly?...here's a link to some pix of what the other 8,000+ members TOW with their Titans weak DANA44 rear ends! LOL!..

http://www.titantalk.com/forums....cs.html

The big problem in the early going was rear ends over-heating..nissans fix was a new aluminum heat sych/cooling finned pumpkin cover that increased gear oil capacity from the original 64ozs to 92ozs and switched from 60w/90 dino gear oil too 75W/140 Synth.

BTW....while understanding that it is a HUGE DEAL and very serious issue to those that were affected?..many of the members are slightly aggitated with the handful of those who are relentlessly hammering the issue to death with post after post of titles of blown rears...making it sound like every Titan ever made and purchased WILL suffer the same...when nothing could be further from the truth and fact...as a matter of fact?..before the relentless rallied themselves to file complaints to the NHTSA?...the Ford F150 actually had MORE COMPLAINTS filed for blown rear difs than did the Titan...and woe be to those who screw with the dynamics of the internet! LOL!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Oh and...no dennis...i don't work for nissan...i just slept at a holiday inn express. LOL! L8R, Bill.
tounge.gif

Bill -

As I mentioned, do both searches I mentioned and see what comes up. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and smells like a duck ... it's a duck. I'm not buying the thinly veiled suggestion that the Titan rear is stronger than the F150's 9.75 Sterling rear. Now keep in mind I'm not proposing that every Titan is junk solely because of the rear, nor that nobody should buy the Titan (as has been suggested about the F150 by some in this thread). I only chose to pick on the Titan rear end because it is easy. I'm pointing out a real weakness which you can choose to ignore, disquise, or throw unsubstantiated statistics at in order to deflect valid criticism. I saw a non scientific poll on a Titan site with 6% failure ... And I saw a report that indicates the Titan will get a new rear for '07. What would that imply? Bottom line on the rear end - with the vast amount of information about the problems with the Titan rear out there it can't all be wrong.

Back on track here ... Again, I'm not trying to bash the Titan. What I AM suggesting is that F150 has some characteristics and components that are better than the Titan. Simple. The Titan does some other things better than the F150, like acceleration. There are yet other subjective characteristics that different people will have different opinions about like exhaust noise. Weigh them all for yourself (as Sax did) and make your choice. I realize neither one of us will change our opinion about our choice based on this discussion so this is almost pointless, but that doesn't mean I won't defend a good product from unfair attacks and absolute conclusions based on something that may not even be correct (crash statistics... seats ... any comparison that is not current ... or any statistic that doesn't take into consideration the population size).

Oh, and thank you for not berating me as a newbie. I've been around here a bit, but honestly most of my hobby efforts over the years have been focused on vehicles with four wheels. Bike stuff has always been #2 but is becoming more of a focus.

You know, nobody came on here talking up their Ford and talking down the Nissan,
yeah...I noticed that...sorta speaks volumes too..doesn't it?
tounge.gif
Yes it does, apparently we don't feel we need to knock the Nissan because the Fords speak for themselves.

I've noticed a few of the Titans over the last few days and looked them over and still feel that they seem a little less "truck" and a little more "people hauler"

Kevin

You know, nobody came on here talking up their Ford and talking down the Nissan,
tounge.gif
Yes it does, apparently we don't feel we need to knock the Nissan because the Fords speak for themselves.

I've noticed a few of the Titans over the last few days and looked them over and still feel that they seem a little less "truck" and a little more "people hauler"

Kevin
Kevin....I "Knock Fords" because I reserve the right to eval my own purchases...I owned two of'em and they both suxed...and..

"apparently we don't feel we need to knock the Nissan because..."

"I've noticed a few of the Titans over the last few days and looked them over and still feel that they seem a little less "truck"...."

The Titan has more hp, more torque, just as much towing capability and more interior room than the ford...happy to hear you're "not knocking it" as "less truck"...cause it most definantly isn't..it's more....far more.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

The Titan has more hp, more torque, just as much towing capability and more interior room than the ford...happy to hear you're "not knocking it" as "less truck"...cause it most definantly isn't..it's more....far more.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Erm...

Why would anyone claim Ford or Nissan as the horsepower standard for trucks? In every class, pretty much across the board, Chevrolet squashes either of them.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Erm...

Why would anyone claim Ford or Nissan as the horsepower standard for trucks?  In every class, pretty much across the board, Chevrolet squashes either of them.
uhem....engine specs from chevys website...

Engines.....................ohv V8...ohv V8

Size, liters/cu. in............5.3/325...8.1/496

Horsepower @ rpm......295 @ 5200...325 @ 4200

Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm...330 @ 4000...447 @ 3200

Now...compared to the chevys 5.3L V-8 the Titans 5.6L V-8 ahas 10 more ponies and then trounces it with 49 MORE ftlbs of torque with the titans stock oem 5.6L V-8 weighing in at 305HP/379FTLBS.

Also...besides more power than the chevy or ford?..The Nissan Titan is pushing that power trough a 5-Speed A/T rather than the 4 Speed A/T chevy gives ya...needless to say...the Titan smokes the chevy 5.3 in both power and acceleration.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

tounge.gif

Kevin
Kevin....I "Knock Fords" because I reserve the right to eval my own purchases...I owned two of'em and they both suxed...and..

"apparently we don't feel we need to knock the Nissan because..."

"I've noticed a few of the Titans over the last few days and looked them over and still feel that they seem a little less "truck"...."

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Mazda makes a nice sports car in the RX8.
Suburban is a nice large suv.
Prius is a nice Hybrid.
Titan is a nice people hauler.
Ford makes a nice truck.

Now, where am I knocking anything?

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149712744 -->

Bill -

GM already offers a 6.2 with 380 HP @ 550, 417 lb/ft @ 440, and it gets 20 mpg in a Denali. They really aren't in the game right now, but I expect GM to step up to the plate with the new pickups. This engine would work out quite nicely, don't you think?

Back