Newbie with first bike,First Time Riding

grayautomotive

Registered
Ok everyone i understand the pricinples of Mechanics of a transmission and motor being im a automotive mechanic so to jump on a bike and knowing when to switch gears and down shifting pricinples is basic to me but When riding do you Release throttle,Clutch then shift or do you keep throttle at same position,clutch then release. I have been letting my throttle roll back when im shifting but if i dont have it back at rpms when i left off the clutch well you know what happens. Let me know.

:welcome: to the org. First, the MSF course is a very good recommendation. If I were you I would sign up and take that class ASAP. Secondly, yes you do roll out of the gas when shifting. It takes practice getting the timing right, but basically you roll out of the gas while squeezing the clutch at the same time, then shift to the next gear, and then roll into the gas while releasing the clutch. Practice makes perfect; ride safe.

D

I just wanted to say thanks to your answers. Im taking my bike down to bike week next weekend and i honestly never road a motorcycle. I bought it and i have went around the block a alot until i got my learners permit. But the controls are fimialar to me even though i never road a motorcycle hill not even a scooter. But i guess its only because i never had a chance too. But I will be safe going to bike week so with wall to wall traffic it will be just scoot and ride then sit... But i plan to take the class as soon as i get back though i really want to learn everything but one of my fears is when you think you know everything, When you think you really know how to ride thats when you get hurt because you become less careless. Im not a 100+mph person but i will let my balls hang while i ride though.

respect the bike and make sure you get some gear. at least a helmet gloves and a jacket. if you cant afford the gear you cant afford the bike...IMO... welcome to the org. anything you ever wanted to know about anything bike related is here. just ask. folks here are the best. you will get good advise as you can see. and get some pics up of that scoot:rulez::beerchug:

A bike week anywhere is NOT a good place to be practicing your riding skills!!!!!!
Let me repeat that..NOT a good place!
All the newbies go to the bike shindigs to see and be seen. Trouble is, most of them CAN NOT RIDE!!! Put these people together with ego inflated half azz riders and some booze and you have some serious disasters waiting to happen!

Get some more experience under your belt or the next thread you post up will be in the crash and accident forum!

Sorry to be harsh, but dude...you asked how to shift a bike. come on.

I just wanted to say thanks to your answers. Im taking my bike down to bike week next weekend and i honestly never road a motorcycle. I bought it and i have went around the block a alot until i got my learners permit. But the controls are fimialar to me even though i never road a motorcycle hill not even a scooter. But i guess its only because i never had a chance too. But I will be safe going to bike week so with wall to wall traffic it will be just scoot and ride then sit... But i plan to take the class as soon as i get back though i really want to learn everything but one of my fears is when you think you know everything, When you think you really know how to ride thats when you get hurt because you become less careless. Im not a 100+mph person but i will let my balls hang while i ride though.
I sense this not ending well.... (actually doubting it is real, common now, gimme a break)

At least it won't hurt so much falling over while 'scooting' around in bumper to bumper 2-mph traffic. If I were a dude, I'd say you've got a bigger set than mine! But since I'm a chick, I suppose that's a no-brainer... You'll be in for an adventure, that's for sure. Personally, I don't think it's one of those plans that's a good idea. Take the course first, get the basics down, then jump into bike week (next year).

Oh and :welcome:

Do-not-feed-the-troll.png

IBTL, FTMFW!!

Theres a lot more to safely riding a bike than shifting. Go take a class man.

Back