Newbie questions

daviesmi

Registered
Hi, I've been lerking here for some time, I've even replied once or twice but I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a couple of newbie questions. I bought a new 08 Black busa in June with .5 miles on it, right now it sits on stands waiting for warm (non freezing) temps with just over 6000 miles on it. It's my second bike (the first was an old CBR 600), which brings me to my first question. I've only been riding for 2 years this May, what is the best way to refine my riding tecnics. I tried to take the basic class when I first started but they were full through the end of the year and this last summer the instructor told me I should take no less then the advanced class due to the amount of riding I've already done (around 13000 miles) and I'd be bored with anything less. So the question do I take the advanced road course or do I go to a basic track based school. I'm looking for handling abilities more than anything else.

The next question is more technical, What exactly does a power commander or similar do, and is that what the two unused connectors are for under the seat near the battery box? I am an Aircraft Mechanic with background in aerospace engineering so I understand the princibles, what I'm not sure of is why there is not just a programer as for cars that can reprogram the computer and then be removed. Also why does this mess with the gear indication?

Thanks
Mike

Smithabusa has a kit to reflash the ecu. Elimnating the need for the pc or bazzaz.
Pc adds fuel by changing the signal between the ecu and injectors.
Posted via Mobile Device

A basic class is what I suggest, even those riders with years and miles under their belts can benefit from it. Once that's completed, go from there.
Matt covered the PC basics, but it does not use the unused connectors. An ECU reflash is similar to the programmer you're talking about. PC piggybacks the ECU and changes its signal.
PC won't change the gear indicator.
Some TRE type products will show 5th gear to the ECU all the time to remove the limiter.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the org.
As you see there is much info for you and quickly too.:thumbsup:
Ride safe,
Bubba

:welcome: to the .org. i agree with mr brown. ive taken couple of "basic" classes over the years, and i ride almost daily. i still find that taking the class makes me a better rider, and reminds me of what im supposed to do and why.

Welcome to the oRg. I would take the intermediate or advanced class. Good luck the with the Gen 2, I cant answer your questions regarding specifics. However, what do you plan to do? You may not need a PC depending the mods you are planning.

:welcome: to the oRg. The PC is for fine tuning once you make a major mod to the engine. On the Gen II you can go with flashing the ECU vs. adding the PC, etc.

Thanks everyone.

As for the power commander or the computer update, I'm not planning anything like that for sometime as the bike is more than I need in it's stock configeration. I just wanted to know what it was actually doing and the differences between the two.

Thanks again to all.

A PC3 or any other form of FI unit will add fueling to the bike to help with a free flowing exhaust and air filter. If you don't get the A/F (air fuel ) within a specific range you can cause damage to your bike. The unit piggy backs the factory ECU wich already controls the fueling and adds more or takes some away if needed. A lot of people have hacked into the factory ECU ( called Flashing ) to change the fuel cells instead of using another form of FI unit. The plugs under the seat is used to hook up a device ( forgot what is was called ) to see all the codes stored in the ECU and the tech can see if everything ( sensors ) are working right. It's also used to void warranties if they find abuse... hope this helps.

If I remember right the basic class uses their bike, the rest use yours just something to think about. I would take the slow paced beginner class to kind of refresh yourself then you can tackle the more advanced stuff.

Back