Newbie owner question

rbd5050

Registered
Long time rider, first time 'Busa owner. It's a 2007 and new to me (I call her Maggie, it's a chick thing!) :firing:
and have just put her up for storage. I would like to drain the fuel and remove the battery and have downloaded an owners manual but will be damned if I can find any good pictures to explain where things are. My plan is to start removing fairings and the seat and see what I can find. I am hoping there's a drain tube for the fuel beneath? I am also hoping that I can find some good guidance here for these first two "projects". I've done basic work on bikes before so the terminology should be close??
Anyway, thanks in advance and hopefully I'll get the forum figured out.

RBD

2 bolts hold the seat on, one on each side under it. The battery is underneath it and easy to remove. I don't think there is a fuel drain. If you use the search function you can find whatever you need. Someone will be along shortly with links on how to remove your fairings, it's pretty simple.

Thanks! The fairings should be straight forward and it will be stored til about March/April. I will be able to move it around some to avoid flat spots in the tires (is there a kit for a center stand for Busa's?) and want to take it down as much as I feel comfortable doing to clean and inspect bits and parts. The trickle charger I have is 1.5 amps so I should be safe there. I was wanting to get a rear stand for it but will have to check out how much space that'll take up.

RBD

All you need to do for the fuel is top off the tank to keep moisture out, put some fuel stabalizer in, run it for about 5 min to get it through the fuel system and your good. If it's going to be sitting in a garage, invest in a battery tender if you have the funds. I picked up a diehard tender/charger from Sears for 30 bucks and it works great.

Thanks! The fairings should be straight forward and it will be stored til about March/April. I will be able to move it around some to avoid flat spots in the tires (is there a kit for a center stand for Busa's?) and want to take it down as much as I feel comfortable doing to clean and inspect bits and parts. The trickle charger I have is 1.5 amps so I should be safe there. I was wanting to get a rear stand for it but will have to check out how much space that'll take up.

RBD

You can buy a front and rear stand cheaper than a center stand, and they take up very little space. And the center stand still only lifts just the rear tire.

All you need to do for the fuel is top off the tank to keep moisture out, put some fuel stabalizer in, run it for about 5 min to get it through the fuel system and your good. If it's going to be sitting in a garage, invest in a battery tender if you have the funds. I picked up a diehard tender/charger from Sears for 30 bucks and it works great.

I keep hearing pros and cons about doing that. I've got a bottle of fuel stabilizer and have been debating. Have you ever had issues after storing it? Even with the extended period of time I'll need to have her sit, do you think there will be any issues? I plan to move outta Alaska in a year or so to a place with shorter winters so this won't be an issue! :shaun:

RBD

Me personally I haven't had any issues with it. I usually store mine from around November to April. Usually depends on how my winter is going.

Can you please post a pic of that?
Thanks!

RBD

Here's front and rear stands, the pictures are from Redline stands, a site sponsor. The front stand on the white Busa fits under the lower triple clamp and allows you to remove your forks. As opposed to the front stand in the other picture, which only allows you to remove the front wheel.
There are also rear stands that have a handle facing the front of the bike, so there is no part of it behind the bike, to save space.

busa-headstock.jpg

G1kRedBlue.jpg

Most rear stands use spools now. They are round plastic peices that bolt into each side of the swingarm into existing threaded holes. They are cheap and can be ordered with the stand.
I have an old style rear stand that has padded 90degree plates that lift directly on the swingarm itself. The spools are easier.

RUSHERIV
Yes! Thanks for that...I'm way too much of a visual learned and the pix answered my questions.

RBD

The longest I have stored a bike is 13 months and only storage measures I took were:
1. put the bike up on front and rear stands
2. hook the battery up to a battery tender
3. added STA-BIL to the gas tank
4. fresh oil and filter
5. clean and polish the bike before putting a cover over it

BTW, welcome!

Thanks for the info and thanks for the welcome! I am definitely getting front and rear stands..........

RBD

I tell people never to drain the tank if you do Moisture can build up & rust the insde of the tank. Stabil & a dead full tank.

the longest i have stored a bike is 13 months and only storage measures i took were:
1. Put the bike up on front and rear stands
2. Hook the battery up to a battery tender
3. Added sta-bil to the gas tank
4. Fresh oil and filter
5. Clean and polish the bike before putting a cover over it

btw, welcome!

+10000

Welcome rbd! How cold does it in Kodiak?

Colder than you and I wanna know :beerchug:

:welcome: and as others said fill it up and add stabil so inside won't rust .
Front and rear stands will get bike off the ground and prevent flat spots on tires in one move .

Colder than you and I wanna know :beerchug:

:welcome: and as others said fill it up and add stabil so inside won't rust .
Front and rear stands will get bike off the ground and prevent flat spots on tires in one move .

I was just thinking if it get in the -40s or -50s there might be other things to consider.

Back