New to the forum and have questions!!

:welcome: as for air filter your stock one is fine if your just riding for street use and some track days. cant help you out with yhr pcv i run a pc3 But as long as you deal with brock you cant go wrong.

ECU Flashing, PCV, or Bazzaz?

I will be installing a brocks alienhead on my 09 busa. What should i do reflash the ecu, get a pcv, or a bazzaz? As far as flashing goes, anyone know any tuners near or in ct? I would imagine that the flashing is just a cable to the ecu and then connected by usb, while the pcv and bazzaz take more time to set up but its all plug and play. Suggestions?:bowdown:

Re: ECU Flashing, PCV, or Bazzaz?

I would do some more research on the flashing. It has alot more additional functionality built into it. It's also much more precise for tunning. Personaly, I think it's the best route. Talk to Greg (smithabusa) as far as places that tune with it. It the most logical choice. :thumbsup:

Ryan Schnitz has tuned a number of busas with ECU flashing and does a great job, he is in Indiana though. He has said he is able to get the part throttle and quick tip in responses better with ECU vs some other products etc.

I am obviously biased, there is a ton more you can do with ECU flashing than a whole trunk full of expensive boxes.

ECU Flashing i have some details here regarding what all can be done.

one will assume it would need to get tuned on the bike right? Not sending it out somewhere. CT sucks ha

You can send it out to have some of the basics changed such as rev limit, speed derestrictor and a few other things. As far as the fuel and ignition map those are pretty specific to your bike and it's of better value to have it tunned using your bike.

If you doing slip-ons there is no need to change any tuning. The factory setting with the O2 sensor will do well. If it's the full system and you are removing the O2 sensor you will need to do some tuning. I went with the ECU flashing and left the O2 sensor in place. That way the bike handles elevation changes better. If you choose any setup that requires you to loose the O2 sensor it will not handle elevation changes very well. Great if you only ride at one elevation, but not if you live near any mountains.

:beerchug:

i know that the alien head has an insert for for o2 sensor but i have read in threads that it does not fit the stock o2 sensor. I have also read the pcv comes with a block off plug for it. what about the bazzaz? Id imagine that the benefit of the reflashing would be that you can keep your stock o2 sensor and that would help on the elevation changes...do they make after market sensor that will fit the alien head?

Read my earlier post about the O2.

The PC and Bazzaz units both come with an O2 eliminator plug that effectively makes the bike's tuning a 2-D affair. Flashing and leaving the O2 sensor leaves it in a 3-D mode.

so it sounds that you support the flashing due to its versatility, problem is i need to find a tuner in ct!!

any tuner capable of running a power commander or bazzaz is more than qualified to do so with ecu flashing, no making sure they WILL is what you need to verify.

I sell to a lot of shops after a customer brings a bike in with ecu flashing, they say WOW this is cool i wanna do this too.

Definitely get it tuned I flashed my ECU but my tuner also had worked with several other Gen II's including his own with the ECU flashing as well. Oh and BMC IMO.:laugh:
p.s. :welcome: to the .org

If you go with the Brock's you will have to get a Fi unit and have a brock's map or custom map or tune your ecu (flash). You can get away with the Yosh full exhaust and use the stock o2 that fits in the Yosh pipe without any problems. This will not give you all the power that is available with that pipe but close... stock filter.

Bought my '08 just before the '09's came out. It had the Brock's street meg short installed. The FI light was on constantly because the O2 sensor had been removed. No bung for it. Went back with the PC III with the proper Brock's map installed. FI light gone. I'm pretty sure there was a plug they had to install for that.

Haven't heard a lot about the Gen II air filter, but the Gen I factory air filter was better than some and about as good as others. It will also depend on how much crap you want your engine breathing.

IMO, I would put the pipe and PCV on the bike. Dynojet will load your map if you ask them and ship it to ya.

Pcv sucks, only controls 1 set of injectors

I would go with ecu first, then next choice bazzaz, and not waste any money with a power commander on a gen 2

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
This graph shows why you don't want a power commander.

A power commander only allows you to control 1 set of injectos, uppers or lowers, take your pick. They recommend the lowers, reason being is that below 5K rpm the upper do nothing, so by installing the power commander on the upper injectors would allow no tuning adjustments to be made below 5000 RPM, and probably not a whole lot above 5000 RPm if at light throttle etc.

You can see on a stock busa the upper and lower injector duty cycle's vs RPM. At peak hp, about 23% of the total fuel being supplied to the 182 hp engine is being done by the lower injectors. that equates to about 40 hp out of the total 182 hp is being supplied to the engine via the lower injectors.

So now you install a power commander on the lower set, so that you can still make idle and part throttle adjustments, and you want to start adding fuel for say a 40 shot of nitrous.

Well with the power commander all you can do is go up to +100% fuel, so you can double what the lower injector is putting out, bringing it up maybe 40 hp, i think in practice people haven't been able to get even that high.

So the solution is easy, just buy another power commander, another $300 and control the uppers completely seperately than the lowers.

What a hassle in my opinion.

At least Bazzaz lets you control all 8 using 1 map.

ECU flashing does the same, you want more fuel, no problem you enter whatever you want in ecu editor, and it asks for more fuel (via both sets of injectors).

not to mention you can do timing with ecu editor (add another couple hundred bucks for a power commander ignition module), you can remove the 6th gear restriction (add another 100 and something bucks for an X-tre, which does a crappy job at this anyway), you can use the ecu as an air shifter kill box (add another $100), you can run map switching with ecu with just the price of a toggle switch ($3 at radio shack), (add another couple hundred for a power commander hub and map switch).

ETC
ETC
ETC

I have stated my case LOL

Greg

2008HayabusaInjectorDutyCycle.jpg

Back