New To The Busa....

Gus Man

Registered
Hello All !!
I picked up a 2011 Ice White Busa just before winter set in. 2 days before I got it the owners kid was playing on it after it was uncovered and the bike ended up falling onto its right side... Small scratch in the front side decal and I noticed that the muffler isn't sitting correctly. I THINK its either in the tab welded onto the muffler OR the aluminum mount(passenger foot peg mount)... So can anyone take a measurement off their bike so I can narrow this down and order the part?

Ok it just must be my eyes... Mine appears just the same as this. The right side exhaust APPEARS to be closer to the edge of the tire than the left does it not?

Pic here
suzuki-hayabusa-gets-abs-for-2013-photo-gallery_6.jpg

Hi there Gus man , and welcome to the Org. mate . Your bike sounds like a score , excellent choice . I reakon the chain makes the left side more filled in , but they actually look he same distance when you take that into account . Now if you a celebrating your newly acquired bike , and sucking down more than your fair share of your choice , of the nectar of the gods ...:beerchug: then this may explain the discrepancy !! Enjoy your motorcycle bro , and take care !! :thumbsup:

Yes I have celebrated a few times now... Had a few talks with her already! Seems we get along just fine. Trying to decide on a jacking method... Was thinking on Constands side lift OR Pit Bull front and rear stands? Then as follows or anyone have more important suggestions?
1 Coolant flush/Change
2 Fresh filters, plugs and oil ... Rotella T6
3 Fork service proper springs (was thinking GP Cycles ?
4 Fresh brake/clutch fluid
5 Overall inspection with fairings removed

I received my set of "Used" R77 Yoshi today!! They are absolutely beautiful!!! Perfect condition as stated by Wolfpack12!! Not a single nick or scratch on them as stated. This guy is a straight up dude! Super great deal on a perfect beautiful LIKE NEW set of R77's! Even packed/shipped in original box. So pumped !!

Yes I have celebrated a few times now... Had a few talks with her already! Seems we get along just fine. Trying to decide on a jacking method... Was thinking on Constands side lift OR Pit Bull front and rear stands? Then as follows or anyone have more important suggestions?
1 Coolant flush/Change
How many miles are on this bike that you feel it might need new plugs?

Welcome along mate! hic....hic.....hic.... :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Thankfully the kid never got squished by the falling bike,
I had a similar thing happen to my bike years ago,
my GF's 5 year old boy jumped clear as it was falling forward from the side stand folding in, phewwww!

The right side exhaust APPEARS to be closer to the edge of the tire than the left does it not?
From the pic you posted above, they look about the same distance from center but the muffler hangs from a slightly different point on the LH side than it does on the RH side. Look at the muffler hanger on each side. The RH mufler hangs closer to the center of the muffler and the LH hangs from a point way to the side of the muffler.

I don't have the stock exhaust so I can't tell you what it should look like. Sorry.

Was thinking on Constands side lift OR Pit Bull front and rear stands?
I'm not familiar with the Constands but it looks very much like a Bursig and people like those very well. Thing I don't care for is that the Bursig may require a bracket to be bolted to the bike in order to use the stand. I'd rather not carry that extra weight if the swingarm pivot alone can do the same thing.

Personally, I think the Abba Skylift would be well worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Pit Bull is always a great choice but go with a Pit Bull front that converts from steering stem pivot to fork lift. If you just get one or the other, the steering pivot stand will cover all jobs. The fork lift is much easier for most jobs but you can't remove forks with that or measure full extension of forks for suspension sag adjustment.

Then as follows or anyone have more important suggestions?
1 Coolant flush/Change

Sounds like a good plan. I have been using Rotella T6 in the busa for a year and it's good. If you ask me, it doesn't last any longer than conventional but it's cheap and it's synthetic. I use it in both my busa and my 14 and it lasts about 2500 miles.

If you look in the reservoir and radiator filler neck and see anything that looks like white fuzzy stuff, change the coolant. Otherwise check antifreeze strength and leave it at that. Drain and flush when you switch to an aftermarket full system exhaust since you will need to remove the radiator anyway.

Brakes same idea. If you dont really need to crack those bleeders, don't do it. It's wear on the threads and they often seep for a bit which is a paint/plastic damage risk. If the fluid looks like crap, just wick as much up out of the reservoir as you can and refill it. That is most of the fluid. If you feel you have air in the system or if you go to SS lines, then you gotta bleed.

as you probably know, busa brakes are adequate but not the greatest.

Ride the bike before you do anything with the suspension. I'm 6' 2" and 200 lbs and the stock suspension has done very well for me as set from the dealership. My 08 has ~11000 miles and the suspension is still as good as when I first rode it.

If you change plugs, I would also do a compression test. Keep a record every time you change plugs.

If yo have any throttle play, adjust it as close to 0 as possible. there is supposed to be hrottle play but I think it is safer with none....like brakes that grab instantly are easier to control for me...unfortunately that is a lot more work to change than the throttle play.

From the pic you posted above, they look about the same distance from center but the muffler hangs from a slightly different point on the LH side than it does on the RH side. Look at the muffler hanger on each side. The RH mufler hangs closer to the center of the muffler and the LH hangs from a point way to the side of the muffler.

I don't have the stock exhaust so I can't tell you what it should look like. Sorry.

I'm not familiar with the Constands but it looks very much like a Bursig and people like those very well. Thing I don't care for is that the Bursig may require a bracket to be bolted to the bike in order to use the stand. I'd rather not carry that extra weight if the swingarm pivot alone can do the same thing.

Personally, I think the Abba Skylift would be well worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Pit Bull is always a great choice but go with a Pit Bull front that converts from steering stem pivot to fork lift. If you just get one or the other, the steering pivot stand will cover all jobs. The fork lift is much easier for most jobs but you can't remove forks with that or measure full extension of forks for suspension sag adjustment.

Sounds like a good plan. I have been using Rotella T6 in the busa for a year and it's good. If you ask me, it doesn't last any longer than conventional but it's cheap and it's synthetic. I use it in both my busa and my 14 and it lasts about 2500 miles.

If you look in the reservoir and radiator filler neck and see anything that looks like white fuzzy stuff, change the coolant. Otherwise check antifreeze strength and leave it at that. Drain and flush when you switch to an aftermarket full system exhaust since you will need to remove the radiator anyway.

Brakes same idea. If you dont really need to crack those bleeders, don't do it. It's wear on the threads and they often seep for a bit which is a paint/plastic damage risk. If the fluid looks like crap, just wick as much up out of the reservoir as you can and refill it. That is most of the fluid. If you feel you have air in the system or if you go to SS lines, then you gotta bleed.

as you probably know, busa brakes are adequate but not the greatest.

Ride the bike before you do anything with the suspension. I'm 6' 2" and 200 lbs and the stock suspension has done very well for me as set from the dealership. My 08 has ~11000 miles and the suspension is still as good as when I first rode it.

If you change plugs, I would also do a compression test. Keep a record every time you change plugs.

If yo have any throttle play, adjust it as close to 0 as possible. there is supposed to be hrottle play but I think it is safer with none....like brakes that grab instantly are easier to control for me...unfortunately that is a lot more work to change than the throttle play.

There is no "bracket" mounted to the bike for a Bursig stand.
It uses what looks like a 3" sparkplug socket, that attaches to a frame bolt.
The top pin on the stand slides in that.
The bottom pin slides in an exhisting hollow end frame bolt.
The socket on the bike is almost invisible unless you're looking for it, doesn't get in the way of your leg or knee, and only weighs a couple ounces.
I got a Bursig for my Busa.
Then used it on my Bking(needs a smaller bottom pin, which is basically a bolt with threads at the head and the rest is a pin without threads. My Dad cut the Busa pin smaller in the lathe to fit the Bking, so I didnt have to buy a new one).
I sold the Bking, and kept the Bursig. Saving it for my next gsxr1k.
The Bursig is worth it's weight in gold.
So easy to use. And strong, I sat on my bike on the Bursig and had a friend push me around on it while I bounced on the pegs, and I'm 173lbs without gear.
If you don't buy a Bursig, or one like it, get a forklift front stand. They lift under the lower triple clamp, so you can remove the forks.
I never saw the point of a front stand that lifts under the forks. Not only are they less stable, but really limit what you can do.

I never saw the point of a front stand that lifts under the forks. Not only are they less stable, but really limit what you can do.
I like using the fork bottom lift for most things because it is so easy compared to guiding that steering stem pin in there from the side and then searching for the hole. Works great for stock fork bottoms----be careful with Ohlins. They do not have as deep of a notch to fit the lift pads to.

True, it's can be risky torquing or breaking bolts free on just about any stand because the whole thing could wrench over (almost happened to me torquing the rear axle). I break bolts and do final torque with the bike down on the floor. The thing I don't care for with a steering pivot lift is that the steering can turn side to side any time you turn any bolt on the forks or triple tree. You can work with it but if you have the fork bottom lift, it's not an issue. You just have to consider which will be most helpful before you start the job. The steering stem lift is capable of everything.

Another stand I like very much is the Heindl Engineering swing arm pivot stand. It lifts the rear only but it is extremely stable having a wide base supported on both sides. I've used it with a 20" breaker bar for the clutch hub nut and the front sprocket nut both of which are very tight. The clutch hub took all my weight and a lot of my strength to crack but the Heindl was as safe a stand as I could hope for. The ordinary Abba is similar and a bit more versatile. Both of theses stands are super safe for beginners. There's no chance you could drop the bike while lifting as long as you keep pressure on the handle--the stand is hooked right in the frame holes before you lift the bike off the sidestand so it can't come off. I don't care much for the nylon strap they use to lift the front and rear on the Abba but I guess it works. However, I would trust the Bursig for tougher wrenching before I relied on that strap. The Heindle can't lift the front and I do not recomend lifting it with a floor jack under the oil pan but I know a lot of people do do this. A slight dent in the oil pan could cause problems. That's why the OEM jacks contact around the edges of the oil pan.

I don't think any one stand is optimal for every job. Not even the Skylift. I think the Abba and Heindl are safest and the Bursig is probably a good combination of safe and versatile which could be slightly improved if the bike's weight was supported on both sides. As mebtioned before, you need to be extremely cautious any time you do tough wrenching on any stand. Putting the wrench at less stressful angle can make all the difference and wrenching anywhere at the rear is more likely to tip than at the center of the bike.

Well... Everything is coming together! All fresh fluids. The clutch fluid was rather dark but front and rear brake just looked a little dark. Deglazed the rotors and installed fresh pads. Got the forks all done up with fresh seals and used Motul 10w Expert is nearly twice the viscosity (CST Rating is more accurate) of the OEM fluid. Fork now are much better. It appears that there is already a heavier then OEM spring because I am only off 1/8" on sag. Still more adjusting there. What I did find in cleaning the fork oil off the rotors is that you can use a .284 caliber bore brush (brass) to clean the slime out of the cross drilled holes in the rotors. Question on installing my Yoshi R77s... Has anyone skipped the drilling/rivet step? They seem to be extremely stable with out while test fitting. Just wondering is all... If I don't have to drill a hole in the Cat Id feel better!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the BUSA!!! Get torque curve, Suspension spot on now. Yoshi R77's sound great (without baffles). M3's seem to take awhile to warm up but I am sure that that will improve as road temps come up to summer temps... Speaking of which... Time to ride!! Enjoy all !!

Back