New to Hayabusa...She's not running quite right

zondaf355

Registered
New to Hayabusa!...Not running well :(

First off hello and thank you!
This appears to be a very positive and mature community which is very refreshing after being a long time member of some not so positive and mature BMW forums...

Anyways, today I was blessed enough to take delivery of my first Hayabusa and although she is not running very smoothly I am obviously very excited for the future with such an amazing machine.

My bike is a navy/silver 2005 year with 22,100 miles.

This bike had been layed down into a ditch on the left side and luckily only appears to have sustained minor aesthetic damage to the front fairing/clutch lever/exhaust. The worst visual damage is a dime sized puncture in the stator cover which I temporarily fixed with some trusty JB Weld until the new cover arrives...very impatient.

So I get the bike home, unload her, patch the hole in stator cover, top off coolant, change oil, filter and wipe down. Now to see if she will start...

The bike wouldn't even attempt start at first. Fuel pumps primed, tach needle sweeps, headlight dimmed as it should when ignition button was pressed. After checking the interwebs I soon realized the kickstand was causing the issue (any links to a kickstand sensor fix?). So while moving the kickstand the bike finally attempted to start. It wouldn't fire for about 10 tries, then finally fired up! Not all was well though as she was struggling to idle (low idle fix link?) then when giving it a bit if throttle the bike was making a noise around 2000 rpm that could only be described as helicopter like sound???

Then at around 3-4000 rpm I started to hear and feel a slight knocking (very slight). Then when I let completely off the gas she would die again. I noticed when patching the stator cover hole that the stator coils appeared to have been scuffed during the lay down. Could the stator cause these poor running issues?

So I tried to start again and then the bike sounded like it was misfiring or only running on 3 cylinders...the bike has not ran since it's low side lay down so I'm confused as to why it's running so badly. My ignorance to this bike and it's possible gremlins hopefully won't last long since I have found this forum.

Given my lack of mechanical knowledge, the noises that I am hearing are very worrisome so I shut the bike off to mitigate further damage. From what I am reading I probably need to check coils, plugs and fuses...

Any ideas or links as to what I should be reading up on? I am eager to try this amazing machine out so I hope to find a fix before the weather turns any colder.

Thank you in advance and I'm very excited to be a part of this great community!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Start with simple things. Check fuel quality and ensure filter is not clogged. Check plugs and their conditions as well as coil packs. Ensure vacuum lines are in the correct place and map sensors is hooked up. Not all mechanics actually secure vacuum lines so a spill that put a hole in the case could knock lines off. Maybe you need to sync your throttle bodies. Check your throttle cable tension as well. Your symptoms seem fairly wide to me but I'm not a "pro" mechanic lol. But when all fails get a manual and read up. Go to Sell Files and Downloads: Affiliate Program, Software, Digital Products you can get he original manual, service manual and supplemental manual as well.

There has been a wealth of comments re the importance of proper elect sys operation and the effects to the motor operation. Check the 3 yellow charging wires in the bundle from the stator. Note that several years back my Gen 1 just started running rough and then finally quit. Cause: the crank sensor wires adjacent to the charging wires had become brittle from heat damage and severed. Check the security of the crank sensor and integrity of the wiring.

Back