Update on the fixin'

Well, I finally got the darn fairing off, no big deal. If you all recall I cracked the stator cover on the left side and all the oil leaked out (I needed an oil change anyways
11doh.gif
). My question now is this, was there supposed to be oil in the magneto/stator area? The internals all look good on the inside, but did I damage something worse? And this might be a stupid question, but should I disconnect the battery before I remove the stator coil from the cover? Thanks everybody, you've all been a tremendous help.

Oh and I'll say this, after I dumped it, I immediately got back on it and rode to a parking lot off the street before I noticed it was leaking oil. Of course I shut it right off, but when riding it I didn't feel any problems with the bike.

I only rode a couple of blocks, just to get off the road before I noticed it was leaking. Only a little bit leaked out before I shut it off, then it just kept on flowing. I'm not worried about seizure or anything, just why so much oil flowed through the stator.

Back