Some issues replacing stator cover

Kevbrah

Registered
I recently bought one of the kanji embossed stator covers off mad hornets. It is a much sturdier piece than the OEM, with much nicer bolts that also conveniently size match the interior stator mount.

SC006Blacka__15398.1380012367.1280.1280.jpg

I did have a problem after installation. The bike would idle fine and rev normally to about 4000 rpm, but between 4-5000 it would sputter and backfire like crazy, giving it more throttle it would take off like a champ all the way to the redline. Gearing didn't seem to matter, the problem was there in every gear. It would also throw C21-C24 codes, insufficient spark on all four cylinders.

The stator cover was the only mechanical part I had changed recently, so I disassembled it first. Nothing seemed to be wrong. I reassembled it and sure enough the problem went away.

Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but if anyone else changes out their stator cover and gets a similar problem it might be an easy fix before you tear apart the plugs and coils and everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had that happen. Covers aren't machined right. Used factory and no more probs

Why did the problem go away after I reinstalled it?

Do you think I just didn't have it bolted flush, or didn't have the coiled wires inside bolted flush?

I didn't switch back to my old cover, I just cleaned off the gasket and put it all back together.

I was pretty shocked the problem went away so easily. I was expecting to have to do a lot of troubleshooting and replace a shorted lead or coil pack.

Back