New tire break in

papi_ocho

Registered
Got pilot power road 2s.. rear only
Post pics and my review on my first tire install later..

But now.. what do I need to know before I put this thing on the road?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

The releasing agent (so the tire can be removed from the mold) used during the manufacturing of the tire is what can make it slippery for the first few miles. After the shiney surface is gone you will have a nice and grippy tire.

How about I take it on a group ride on some crappy new Mexico back roads... AND THEN... AND THEN. get stuck in a "freak" rain storm...
In the end.. my busa saw rain for the first time.. and I will say the road 2 did very well.. and I'm crazy glad I put the tire on before the weekend.. cause my pilot power would have let me down TWO times over

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Put your bike up on a stand, start it and put it in first gear to get the back wheel moving. Grab a wad of brillo and scrub out the edges. Wont be hard considering the wheel is moving. Turn the bike off, set it down, restart and burn off the center. VIOLA! You have a tire that should be ready to go. I am NOT saying get deep in to corners yet, let the tire cycle warm a couple fo times. But this will cut out the slippage you get on a shinny.

Put your bike up on a stand, start it and put it in first gear to get the back wheel moving. Grab a wad of brillo and scrub out the edges. Wont be hard considering the wheel is moving. Turn the bike off, set it down, restart and burn off the center. VIOLA! You have a tire that should be ready to go. I am NOT saying get deep in to corners yet, let the tire cycle warm a couple fo times. But this will cut out the slippage you get on a shinny.

Do you really do this? I have had 2 sets of Pilot Road 2's and my normal break in procedures were just fine. I take it easy during straight aways for about 20 miles and gradually get the bike leaned over into turns after that. Each time is just a bit more until I feel that the tires are good to go.

I love the Pilot Road 2's. They are a perfect tire for my situation. I commute 120 miles round trip to work and ride twisties in the mountains on the weekend. They have not had me second guessing in any kind of weather or situation.

Hey Sous. What kind of mileage you getting on the PR2s? I'm getting my first set of tires now and do 50 miles a day communting on interstate...that's it. Basically looking for mileage durability.

The releasing agent (so the tire can be removed from the mold) used during the manufacturing of the tire is what can make it slippery for the first few miles. After the shiney surface is gone you will have a nice and grippy tire.

The tire molds are now made with a teflon coating that requires no release agent on the tread. I'm not sure about the off brand tires like Shinko but all the major manufacturer such as Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli and Bridgestone all use teflon coated molds.

We put new tires on and their first lap around the track is WOT! No issues!

Do you really do this? I have had 2 sets of Pilot Road 2's and my normal break in procedures were just fine. I take it easy during straight aways for about 20 miles and gradually get the bike leaned over into turns after that. Each time is just a bit more until I feel that the tires are good to go.

I love the Pilot Road 2's. They are a perfect tire for my situation. I commute 120 miles round trip to work and ride twisties in the mountains on the weekend. They have not had me second guessing in any kind of weather or situation.

Yep, every tire for the last 15 years or so. And all I run are bridgestone or michelin depending on mood

The tire molds are now made with a teflon coating that requires no release agent on the tread. I'm not sure about the off brand tires like Shinko but all the major manufacturer such as Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli and Bridgestone all use teflon coated molds.

We put new tires on and their first lap around the track is WOT! No issues!

The "tire mold boogie man" serves the excellent purpose of scaring noobs right hand into timidity, at least until, they leave the dealership parking lot.

cheers
ken

i have always taken a scotch bright pad with the bike in gear and scuffed em out all the way to the edges.. First to break it in, second looks cool:)

Back