New tank has scratches

CATMAN

Registered
MY new tank has scratches where I have been riding. Was waiting for the Tank cover to come in but still got scrathes. Tried using Scrath X but nothing seems to get them out.
Any suggestions on compounds that I can hand apply without a buffer to remove? Don't want to mess up the tank anymore.

Are they actual scratches or scuffs. also is your jacket zipper or something rubbing on the tank? A professional body shop can sand the surface down and polish out the scratches so this is one option..if they are just scuffs that you can only see in bright light then dont worry about it, they are virtually unavoidable on a bike that gets used.

Small scratches. Started from my jacke rubbing the tank, then I used compond and it dulled the paint and left more scratches so now I am tring to get them out without messing up the tank.

Take it to a body shop, they can sand and polish the tank for you. It should not run more than $50 if they are just doing a few spots.

Small scratches. Started from my jacke rubbing the tank, then I used compond and it dulled the paint and left more scratches so now I am tring to get them out without messing up the tank.
If you can feel the scratches with your thumbnail. then you will not be able to polish them out. You can make them less noticeable, and you have taken the first step in that process with the compund (what besides the Scratch-X did you use?)

The compound (I'm assuming a rubbing compound) has done it's job. It has lowered the egdes of the scratches, which robs them of a sharp edge for light to catch and reflect. The dulling of the paint is normal for a compound. You now need to go to a less abrasive polish to remove the compound hazing. I would suggest something on the order of 3M Finesse-It II. Go to the auto parts store near you and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Don't worry, the hazing WILL polish out.

It's scary. I know - but trust me - a less abrasive polish will bring the shine back.

Mothers Billet polish(yes I know its for aluminum) works great for this..I dont run a tank pad and every time I go to the track,My jacket tears up the area,,I tried it and it worked unbelievable,and didn't leave any makes in it..be sure to glaze or wax it a few times after..

Give it a try!!

And if The scratches are deep,wet sand it with 2500 grit (carefull not to go threw the clear)and do the steps above..

I deal with this kind of thing all the time. People are usually in a panic and expecting the worst when they have me look at it, but it almost always turns out to be something real simple that I can buff out easily. It all depends on the scratch, but to get it out it'll need some sanding. With the products I use that normally means 1500, then 2000, then buffing compounds. 3M rubbing compound and machine glaze. That's it. A real bad scratch might come out faster with 1000 grit but it takes a real steady hand not to go through the clear, and I usually don't bother with 1000 on black bikes. From your description it sounds pretty minor, so take it to a body shop on a lazy day and see what they say.

You should stop expirimenting and take it to a Body Shop IMO ...

smile.gif

I deal with this kind of thing all the time.  People are usually in a panic and expecting the worst when they have me look at it, but it almost always turns out to be something real simple that I can buff out easily.  It all depends on the scratch, but to get it out it'll need some sanding.  With the products I use that normally means 1500, then 2000, then buffing compounds.  3M  rubbing compound and machine glaze.  That's it.  A real bad scratch might come out faster with 1000 grit but it takes a real steady hand not to go through the clear, and I usually don't bother with 1000 on black bikes.  From your description it sounds pretty minor, so take it to a body shop on a lazy day and see what they say.
I got some damn scratches I cannot get out, fingernail can catch in them. They are not severe but still noticable in the sunlight..frankly I think the clearcoat Suzuki uses sucks.

BTW I only quoted you because I noticed this was your first post and you have been a member since 2002!!!!! You luking #######!!
biggrin.gif

Back