Tank protecter??

crepitus

Registered
Well its been 2 months since i got the beast and i noticed that my tank is getting some scratches. nothing that cant be waxed out but i want to protect it as best i can. i am not into the leather cover thing. i like the looks of the bike showing the tank. any suggestions?

<!--EDIT|crepitus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120822833 -->

I use soapy water and a squeege that you use to put on window tint. I get them at Walmart.I only use the part that goes on the back of the tank. They will sell you just that part if you ask.

Id recommend a plastic razor blade...yes they make them.
smile.gif

use a fair amount of water. after you squeegee them into place, spray them again and re-squeegee to get the last small air bubbles out.

if you screw up, just pick it up and try again
smile.gif

I went with a Mag/Knight. It's on order. I have one on my FJR and it looks great. Not sure if I'll like it on my Busa or not, but we'll see. I'll post some pictures here soon.

This is the second bike I have used the tankslapper on, it works great I love it.

dudewizr - Did your Mag/Knight's come with that Busa symbol on them? Or did you add it later? And if you added it, where did you get it? Looks pretty cool! (By the way, awesome red and orange Busa's!!!)
tounge.gif

I've got a Mag-Knight, works good. The fit is not great, I never got all the buckles out...
Same here. I tried everything from the sun as the instructions said to a hair dryer and it still wont seal to the tank. So now it has cracks in it 40 days after I ordered it. E-mailed Mag-knight and they said basically not our problem as it has been longer than 30 days. I whould highly recomend you get anything except a Mag-knight unless you got a lot of $ to throw away. I am now going to get some tank slappers and throw the Mag-knight away.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120959161 -->

Krieg - That's interesting. I've had a Mag/Knight on my FJR for several months now, and it still looks perfect. I liked it so much I ordered a second one for my Busa. I just followed the directions; lay in the sun, then used a hobby heat gun to smooth out the remainder. I didn't like hearing about MagKnight telling you it's your problem after 30 days! If their product is cracking, they won't stay in business long once word gets around!

Has anyone else had their MagKnight crack?

I had a Mag-Knight once on a CBR1100XX and the darn thing never fit right (at least I couldn't get it to fit), finally threw it away.
My remedy for a scratch free tank: three of four layers of clear coat safe car wax on the tank and one of those Suzuki made sticker tank pads where your belly hits. I hug the tank sides in the twisities and can easily buff out any trace of scratches since they're in the wax, rather than in the clear coat that protects the paint. Another rule: never touch your painted surfaces with your hands, or heaven forbid, set your helmet, etc, on the tank and you'll be relatively scratch free for the life of your bike.

dudewizr - Did your Mag/Knight's come with that Busa symbol on them?  Or did you add it later?  And if you added it, where did you get it?  Looks pretty cool!  (By the way, awesome red and orange Busa's!!!)
tounge.gif
No the stickers did not come with it. I ordered them from some guy in Malta. I will try to find his info and post on here. Price was very low, high quality and he offered free shipping on the next order for sending him pics of the project. I told him about .Org and the number of members hoping maybe he could wave the shipping on the first order in return for sending on his info.

I've got a Mag-Knight, works good. The fit is not great, I never got all the buckles out...
Same here. I tried everything from the sun as the instructions said to a hair dryer and it still wont seal to the tank. So now it has cracks in it 40 days after I ordered it. E-mailed Mag-knight and they said basically not our problem as it has been longer than 30 days. I whould highly recomend you get anything except a Mag-knight unless you got a lot of $ to throw away. I am now going to get some tank slappers and throw the Mag-knight away.
When I put mine on in February it was 12 deg. f. in my garage and all I used was a hair dryer.  I love it and i ride it every day cold, rain and 95 deg heat.  No problems at all.  If that was their response, (Magknight) that SUX!

If you're throwing yours away, send it to me. I have an idea for it. Is it the carbon look?

<!--EDIT|dudewizr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121224614 -->

Back