Best tank protection....bra or progrip or?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, so currently my tank has zero protection, and I just ordered the urban tank bag but that shouldnt scratch it, so I want to protect it....would you guys recommend a bra of some type, or just some progrip applied to _____? I have done all the searches and the debate to goes back and forth. I think bra is more effective, but covers up a large area that I would prefer exposed,can theprogrips give me enough protection to satisfy my concerns?

All input welcome, thanks guys

Heads up;
At Team McCoy Motorsports when you ready can get all this below for you, or just let us know if you don't see what your looking for on the site and we can hook you up.

Tank Pads: Tank Pads - Tobefast

I might be able to order one of these for your bike also..... http://www.tobefast.com/stompgrip-m-4841.html check and get back to you.

More fun stuff here: Luggage - Tank Bags - Bike Covers - ToBeFast.com

Hope this helps

----Thanks

ToBeFast: Motorcycle, Streetbike, Cruiser and Offroad ? Parts, Accessories and Apparel Superstore
Sales@tobefast.com
Phone (606) 432-1556

Last edited:
You only need grip pads to grip w/ your outside knee when you're hanging off the bike while your inside knee is scraping the turn or to simply squeeze the tank with both your knees to help support yourself.

Never understood why someone would get a bra unless you want to hide some existing damage on the tank.

Everyone says "My tank looks so good all new and shiny, I don't want to scratch it"...well if you're hiding it under the bra why get a bra just to cover it up all the time where you'll never even see it?

Not to mention over time if you don't regularly remove it, it can oxidize the paint from moisture build-up and sun exposure. Ever seen people's paint on their cars who constantly have the nose bras on?

I saw magnetic somewhere. don't know if they are any good. maybe tobefast can address magnetic pads.

I went with the tank bra because belt and jacket buckles were scratching the tank and the little "spine" pads on the back of the tank looked like they left too much paint exposed to scratching.

What surprised me was how much grip the tank pad gives to my outside leg. Never had a pad on the tank before this one, so it also surprised me how much I was gripping the tank with my leg because I'm an old f@rt, not some squiddly canyon carver. Grip is much better with the pad.

Best price I have found is from Onieda Suzuki $25.50 plus shipping.
TANK COVER CARBON LOOK GSX1300 1998-2008 :: Suzuki Hayabusa :: Street & SuperSport :: Oneida Suzuki Inc

They also have a great closeout price on the Suzuki touring windscreen, the centerstand kit, and a special on Suzuki oil filters (you have to look for it).

I have Progrip but later added the bra on top of it because both sides of the tank starting to show some scratches made by my leather pants...

You can look it up at pashnit.He got one thats quite good that covers almost the entire area.He have carbon and black.i forgot the brand,quite costly though

You only need grip pads to grip w/ your outside knee when you're hanging off the bike while your inside knee is scraping the turn or to simply squeeze the tank with both your knees to help support yourself.

Never understood why someone would get a bra unless you want to hide some existing damage on the tank.

Everyone says "My tank looks so good all new and shiny, I don't want to scratch it"...well if you're hiding it under the bra why get a bra just to cover it up all the time where you'll never even see it?

Not to mention over time if you don't regularly remove it, it can oxidize the paint from moisture build-up and sun exposure. Ever seen people's paint on their cars who constantly have the nose bras on?
cause it never gets dirty, holds my tank bag like a champ, and I like the way it looks..

I have pulled it off a number of times in the last 3 years.. never a mark on the tank.. I never understood why anyone would modify a perfectly good bike either.. :laugh:

DSC_0168.JPG

cause it never gets dirty, holds my tank bag like a champ, and I like the way it looks..

I have pulled it off a number of times in the last 3 years.. never a mark on the tank.. I never understood why anyone would modify a perfectly good bike either.. :laugh:

DSC_0168.JPG

Of course it never gets dirty, you can't even see the darn thing. So what's the sense in pointing out it never gets dirty if you'll never even see it...lol.

Perosnally, I think the Bagster is the best looking "tank bra/cover" out there, but are you telling me you think the tank bra/cover looks BETTER than a clean, polished tank? Come on. Maybe you do, and if so, you may as well put a Bagster cover over your entire bike and we would see them on custom bikes at shows. But if someone truly thinks it looks better than the tank itself, then hey, by all means, "Bag it!"

I would get a Bagster myself if I ever felt the bike needed one. Only reason I can find it would need one would be to hide a decent sized dent in the tank.

The whole bra concept blew up in the 80's for automobiles to protect the nose of the car from all the debris, bugs, rocks, etc. that would scratch or damage the paint...made perfect sense. Would make more sense for a motorcycle to have one for the nose of the bike.

And when you get moisture under it you'd be wise to take it off to let it dry, especially in the sun. It will discolor your tank over time if you do not. The magnetic tank bag I used never scratched my tank and was as solid as a rock.

well I treat my bike like... well a machine.. I set stuff on the tank and really do not worry about scratches or marks.. the tank cover just fits into my life style of abusing the poor bike like I do.. The comparison to the car bra? do not think it applies here.. they were for guys that ran into crap and were too poor to fix it.. sort of like the "street fighter" busa's I have seen.. :laugh:

Moisture has not been a problem.. 3 years of garden hoses and rain, tank still looks spiffy new :) if anything, the discoloration is on the nose and fender (UV)

well I treat my bike like... well a machine.. I set stuff on the tank and really do not worry about scratches or marks.. the tank cover just fits into my life style of abusing the poor bike like I do.. The comparison to the car bra? do not think it applies here.. they were for guys that ran into crap and were too poor to fix it.. sort of like the "street fighter" busa's I have seen.. :laugh:

Moisture has not been a problem.. 3 years of garden hoses and rain, tank still looks spiffy new :) if anything, the discoloration is on the nose and fender (UV)

Well said, Randy :bowdown:

Bagster fits my life style as well.

2000 Low Budget Busa 003 (Small).jpg

Hey Wallie the decal on the swing arm goes well with your Tank Brazier.. :poke: :rofl:

Heads up;
At Team McCoy Motorsports when you ready can get all this below for you, or just let us know if you don't see what your looking for on the site and we can hook you up.

Tank Pads: Tank Pads - Tobefast

I like this. I am assuming that the small end goes down to the crotch area and the rest protects the tank from belt buckles and zippers?

I disagree with the statement that all you need is a grabby tank side. My belt buckle and perhaps my jacket zipper are constantly scratching at the back and back top of my tank.

Like already covered the little stick on deals don't provide adequate protection for the tank. Sportbike tanks are utilized by the rider, unlike other bikes where they merely hold fuel.

I like the bags but had a bra on my first bike. I had zero issues.

DSC02716 (Small).JPG

Back