New Rear Shock Installed!!

nice..
if you want to answer:  what is your weight?

thanks for the pics.
kkattan,
I usually don't give that out until the SECOND date.
smile.gif

I'm around 275 (no gear).

looks good.

btw, what made you go with elka?  I'm sure you've checked out ohlins and penske.
For me the choice came down to which brands TRAXXION sold. I knew I wanted them to do the work.

While Elka is not well known, their quality is amazing. Plus there where a few features that the others didn't have, or that I would have had to pay extra for.

Based on what I read, the stock rear shock is not worth rebuilding, and I really liked the idea of a 3-way shock. Cost was probably the biggest factor though. I didn't want to spend $1000.

Nice work. Should be an improvement over the stock setup
cool.gif

Idea: If you ever need to get the weight off of the swingarm again...Just lift the rear of the bike with a rear stand, or some friends, and then put a piece of 5/8" steel rod through the swingarm pivot shaft. Support the 5/8" rod with jack stands. Now you have the weight of the bike on the stands and supported more securely than swinging on a strap.

I know it's a little late, but maybe it will help someone else
wink.gif

Nice work. Should be an improvement over the stock setup
cool.gif

Idea: If you ever need to get the weight off of the swingarm again...Just lift the rear of the bike with a rear stand, or some friends, and then put a piece of 5/8" steel rod through the swingarm pivot shaft. Support the 5/8" rod with jack stands. Now you have the weight of the bike on the stands and supported more securely than swinging on a strap.

wink.gif
yeah but it doesn't help if you're removing the arm.

Nice work.  Should be an improvement over the stock setup
cool.gif

Idea:  If you ever need to get the weight off of the swingarm again...Just lift the rear of the bike with a rear stand, or some friends, and then put a piece of 5/8" steel rod through the swingarm pivot shaft.  Support the 5/8" rod with jack stands.  Now you have the weight of the bike on the stands and supported more securely than swinging on a strap.

wink.gif
ditto...like so...

HRS1.jpg

HRS2.jpg

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Sweet looking shock.

I picked my bike up this weekend from Traxxion as well. Big thumbs up from the whole crew.

I hope to have a ride report real soon, maybe ever this afternoon if the rain holds out....

cool.gif

Idea:  If you ever need to get the weight off of the swingarm again...Just lift the rear of the bike with a rear stand, or some friends, and then put a piece of 5/8" steel rod through the swingarm pivot shaft.  Support the 5/8" rod with jack stands.  Now you have the weight of the bike on the stands and supported more securely than swinging on a strap.

wink.gif
true...but it isn't necessary to remove the swingarm to R&R a rear shock...regardless...both are beneficial ideas pending what it is you're trying to achieve...in this case I'd of opted for the 5/8ths steel bar & jackstands method as it is more stable.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Sweet looking shock.

I picked my bike up this weekend from Traxxion as well. Big thumbs up from the whole crew.

I hope to have a ride report real soon, maybe ever this afternoon if the rain holds out....
ditto again...I first witnessed the elka shocks while strolling through the hot pits at daytonas 2003 CCS Races...displayed at Traxxions Trailer....and evidently?.."Bang Fer Buck"?....they're giving penske one he11 of a run for the money...however...for a road going streetbike I actually prefer a piggyback style res. vs a remote res....as anywhere there is extra lines and banjos means more chance of leakage and failure...strictly an opinion based on roadway reliability...but the elka's are sweet.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

wink.gif
I thought of that, but it didn't give me the flexibility of lifting/lowering the bike in small increments quickly.

I have tried Jinksters method with a Jack stand under one end and a good floor jack on the other and it works great. Really adjustable. But since your already done never mind.

Now if there were just a decent way to mount the reservoir without those pesky hose clamps. On my old bike I used some burly zip ties because I couldn't bring myself to do the hose clamps. Perhaps there is an opportunity for one of the plentiful brilliant machinists we have around here to come up with something new and cool?

I have tried Jinksters method with a Jack stand under one end and a good floor jack on the other and it works great. Really adjustable. But since your already done never mind.

Now if there were just a decent way to mount the reservoir without those pesky hose clamps. On my old bike I used some burly zip ties because I couldn't bring myself to do the hose clamps. Perhaps there is an opportunity for one of the plentiful brilliant machinists we have around here to come up with something new and cool?
That's a great idea! It would look a lot better if the hose clamps were black, or matching anodized. Anyone, anyone?

Back