New insurance player

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
Back in 04, when I bought my busa, my insurance company would not touch it, even though I have had my house and all my vehicles with them for several years.

I ended up going with State Farm and am being written throught their Fire and Casualty company (higher rates) since I didn't place any additional business with them.  I checked into moving my business to State Farm, but they could not match the price I get with my current carrier due to the "length of service" discount I get.  ANYWAY,

I am a consultant, and I am currently on assignment at my insurance company.  They have come out with a new program for motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc.

I got the new marketing stuff today at work and here are some quotes from it.

"Progressive, State Farm and other companies offerred products for "toys" so Nationwide developed Rev & Ride to help the company become one of the top three insurance companies in the nation by 2009"

"In Rev & Ride, it (segmentation) offers pricing so a smaller, less expensive Honda Shadow gets a lower rate than a high-end sportbike like a Suzuki Hyabusa."  (The incorrect spelling is theirs.)

Ohio was the first state to offer it, but it is now available in Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.  Taking advantage of the snowmobile season.  In the spring, Virginia will come online with North Carolina, Florida, and California to follow in the summer.

The product offers medical payments and covers superbikes.  It also covers towing, repair and labor and offers multi-vehicle discounts.

I called my agent this afternoon and he has not yet quoted anyone on the product (not unusual for Iowa in the winter), but he will call me back in the morning with a price.  

I don't expect them to be even close, but it will be interesting to see how they compare with State Farm.  I will post up the numbers when I get them.

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137105201 -->

cool.gif

Interesting.... My Progressive policy sucks!
I had progressive for both my wifes and my cruisers and paid $220 a year for both bikes. When I bought my busa progressive wanted $1600 a year for busa alone! Went to state farm and got $440 a year. State farm rules!
muscle.gif
yeah John, it does... for somebody else...

They wanted all by business or no business at all.
House, 2 cages and busa.... they quoted me about 500 higher then my current policy.

I'd be willing to switch if it was a good deal. I'm tired of getting bent over...

Have been with USAA for years, but looking at making the switch to State Farm. Keep us posted.

state farm has been the cheapest i could find. $1600 a year, for a Busa and a GSXR 1000 but florida people catch hell on all insurance

i have USAA and it is very cheap compared to every where else I have looked. Sport bike insurance sucks plain and simple. I pay 160 a year for full coverage on my Royal Star through progressive, but they wanted 4,000 every 6 months for my Hayabusa and R1. They are nuts. It would be cheaper to pay fines and buy a new bike if I were to wreck it. What a joke.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>STATE FARM FINE PRINT</span>

THEY DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT COVER INJURIES JUST DAMAGE.  YOUR PASSENGER AND YOURSELF WOULD HAVE TO USE YOUR SEPERATE MEDICAL INSURANCE POLICY TO COVER YOUR OWN FAULT INJURIES.  Thats why progressive is higher.  Medical damage claims are the problems.  State farm will get cha a new bike but you will pay for the stitches.  
sad.gif
  If you dont have medical insurance I would make strong notes of this.

JD:O

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137163543 -->

Well, got the call from the insurance man - the news is not good - they want $1600 bones a year.  It's probably as Icemann says, this one includes medical whereas State Farm does not - I didn't think to ask if I could seperate the health ins....

but I already got health insurance, so...

State Farm it stays.

Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up....

Just for fun, I called my State Farm agent and indeed, I have no medical coverage. I opted out of it at the time I bought the policy since (according to the agent) State Farm will only write $1000 worth of medical insurance on a bike policy. It would cost me $54 per year for that $1000 of coverage.

<!--EDIT|pward76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137183129 -->

Have been with USAA for years, but looking at making the switch to State Farm.  Keep us posted.
Don't do it! You will regret it BIG TIME. Make sure you get a copy of (State Farm, whoever, etc..) policy and read the fine print before switching over.

USAA for me is only $260 on the BUSA. No one else can touch that for me.....

Back