new HID wow

euroR

Registered
Sorry no photos but I just took my new DDM lights for a real test ride in pitch black roads. And wow it was amazing with low beam only I can see everything and with high beam it was Day time for me. I did get flashed 5 times but all that means is they saw me, lol.

And there was a guy with same bike and gear just ahead of me and he got flashed by the speed camera.:whistle: This guy looked just like me. And all I have to say is that Speed cameras need to be illegal, the flash is scary. I could......I mean the guy in from of me could have crashed or something if he was going 120+. :rofl:

Quick question is it ok to flash my highbeam on? Reason is I get flashed so I want to flash back, but is it bad for the HID.

dont think flashing the Highbeam is good for the HID units... Automotive HID highbeams are "always on"

HID's take a moment or 3 to warm up so flashing is kind of useless anyway..

I think you just made one of the best mods you can (safety and function) :)

I left my HIDs in the factory position and did not adjust them.
I find that while it seems the beams are high here in FL I dont get flashed at all at night with both on.
If I were you I would adjust them down a bit and turn the high on all the time.
They will see you even sooner, better for you !

I have found that giving the high beam a quick flash does not really affect the brightness nor does it take time for it to come back to full bright. Not sure about life reduction.
WarbirdII showed me a quick trick to flash when riding with both beams on .
Instead of using switch just push starter in real quick. It does not engage starter but it flicks lights.

Also another tip from him most appreciated is start procedure.
Normally if you turn key on first lights go on and then flicker while starting.
Not good for bulbs.

So turn killswitch to run, hold starter down with thumb, reach over and then turn key on.
You will see all lights except HIDs go on.
Then draw in clutch and bike will start without flickering HIDs.
As soon as it comes to life obviously let off starter.
It works. Starts bike without lights on.
Def seems like it will make them last longer.
Normal way you can see them flick,flick,flick...

:thumbsup:

In fact that tip and the giver deserve a sep thread.

Just fit a switch in the earth to Ballast and hey Presto longer life for your HID's and also handy if you want less battery drain whilst fiddling with your bike.
Cheers :welcome:

I left my HIDs in the factory position and did not adjust them.
I find that while it seems the beams are high here in FL I dont get flashed at all at night with both on.
If I were you I would adjust them down a bit and turn the high on all the time.
They will see you even sooner, better for you !

I have found that giving the high beam a quick flash does not really affect the brightness nor does it take time for it to come back to full bright. Not sure about life reduction.
WarbirdII showed me a quick trick to flash when riding with both beams on .
Instead of using switch just push starter in real quick. It does not engage starter but it flicks lights.

Also another tip from him most appreciated is start procedure.
Normally if you turn key on first lights go on and then flicker while starting.
Not good for bulbs.

So turn killswitch to run, hold starter down with thumb, reach over and then turn key on.
You will see all lights except HIDs go on.
Then draw in clutch and bike will start without flickering HIDs.
As soon as it comes to life obviously let off starter.
It works. Starts bike without lights on.
Def seems like it will make them last longer.
Normal way you can see them flick,flick,flick...

:thumbsup:

In fact that tip and the giver deserve a sep thread.

Ok I just tried it and it works, is this a bad way of starting a bike, will I hurt it in the long run. And I did it with holding the switch and pulling the clutch, and the normal way, I didnt notice flikering as most people are talking about. I can see the bulb warming up, so is that the flickering they are talking about.

I'm not sure if this pertains to Automobile HID's, but I was told by a GE light bulb rep that the first time you turn on a HID or metal halide lamp on (like the one's on the the highway), you should leave it on for a while. Turning on the lamp and then cutting it off before it has a chance to warm up fullly decreases the life span by half, and the energy consumption to power it increases dramatically over time. Just a thought.

Hey guys! :welcome: I havent had a any issues with my hids with the starting method Blanca listed above. A ground switch is a good idea too, if you are worried about the hids being cut on and off by mistake! And yes the hids are awesome to use! I have to give my thanks to Gixxerhp and the guys who allowed me to help them install them at the 09 spring bash!

I love having my hid's on my '06. I even rode home from San Diego with my bright on and had no problem with it. It really helped to make the trip safer and I could really see the road well. :beerchug:

Back