Headlight Projector retrofit with swapping Hi>Low and Low>Hi ?

ottafish

Registered
Hi All,
Been looking at doing a projector retrofit to my Gen2.. Have done other bikes in the past, but they've all been single units.
So, question ....

Has anybody swapped the high to low beam wiring? Here's what I'm thinking. I may try as I have a spare light assy..
  • Bi-Xenon projector, (with a good quality hid bulb) in the bottom position and wired as low beam, but with a high beam trigger for the solenoid shutter
  • A dedicated High beam only projector in the top position - wired to high beam trigger. - top qualtiy LED for instant on / flash (and maybe with a white halo on low)
  • By going this idea, it would put the high beam over the low beam - and make more sense as to a light throw pattern?
  • The low beam shutter would open on high beam activation / flash
It just makes more sense to have the high beam sit ontop of the low for the distance throw - Or am I missing something?
I understand I may need to add some washers or packing to the setup to get the alignment
Unless someone has a 100% reason why it is a bad idea or will be a stupid thing to do, fair chance I'll do this this winter.

Thoughts?

Hi All,
Been looking at doing a projector retrofit to my Gen2.. Have done other bikes in the past, but they've all been single units.
So, question ....

Has anybody swapped the high to low beam wiring? Here's what I'm thinking. I may try as I have a spare light assy..
  • Bi-Xenon projector, (with a good quality hid bulb) in the bottom position and wired as low beam, but with a high beam trigger for the solenoid shutter
  • A dedicated High beam only projector in the top position - wired to high beam trigger. - top qualtiy LED for instant on / flash (and maybe with a white halo on low)
  • By going this idea, it would put the high beam over the low beam - and make more sense as to a light throw pattern?
  • The low beam shutter would open on high beam activation / flash
It just makes more sense to have the high beam sit ontop of the low for the distance throw - Or am I missing something?
I understand I may need to add some washers or packing to the setup to get the alignment
Unless someone has a 100% reason why it is a bad idea or will be a stupid thing to do, fair chance I'll do this this winter.

Thoughts?
Im sure you would have to play with the alignment of the lower light to get it to throw the light in the right area. Ive thought the same way but just trying to adjust the stock light to throw light the way I want with high beams always on I know it's hard to get that high beam down to the ground.

Depending on where you are i think the law makes you have high beam the lower light.

Personally I think you are adding more work then needed. I did a dual bi-xenon retrofit and you are going to have plenty of throw down the road.

So dual bi-xenon, both lights are on when low beam is one, when i hit flash to pass or put high beams on the flap in each projector opens and allows more light to be thrown down the road. So in essence my high beam is in both spots.

also if you think a high beam led will throw light far even with a led projector housing you are dead wrong. They just don't throw the light like an HID.

I think it’s all about the reflector focus.
The OEM low beam (upper lamp) has a specific design in the reflector to ‘cut’ the light beam off in a line to prevent it going out too far and blinding oncoming traffic.
So I can’t see how you can use the low beam reflector as a high beam, also the high beam projector lamp does not have the cut off line in the beam at all, so it’s just not ‘fit for purpose’ as a low beam.
Just my thoughts, take what you want from it.
Hey, who rides at night anyway? Lol

I think it’s all about the reflector focus.
The OEM low beam (upper lamp) has a specific design in the reflector to ‘cut’ the light beam off in a line to prevent it going out too far and blinding oncoming traffic.
So I can’t see how you can use the low beam reflector as a high beam, also the high beam projector lamp does not have the cut off line in the beam at all, so it’s just not ‘fit for purpose’ as a low beam.
Just my thoughts, take what you want from it.
Hey, who rides at night anyway? Lol

Just to clarify a little..
The top reflector would be sanded and painted black, and a dedicated high beam only projector assy installed in its place. So the factory reflector isn't needed anymore.

And on my Gen2, the high beam had a fixed cut off shield inside the reflector assy limiting the full light output on high beam.
I'd be removing the factory high beam projector assy completely and redoing for low beam.

I didn’t see the point of doing all that, since I knew I was going to have way more light in front of me than I would need. I just bought 2 mini H1 projectors and modified the upper shroud to fit one of them up there and the second replaced the oem project down low. Now I have two low beams and I tied the shutters to My high beam switch and now have 2 high beams, as well. Is funny to see how fast cars get out of my way when they do something stupid and I hit the flash to pass button on them. Lol!

I didn’t see the point of doing all that, since I knew I was going to have way more light in front of me than I would need. I just bought 2 mini H1 projectors and modified the upper shroud to fit one of them up there and the second replaced the oem project down low. Now I have two low beams and I tied the shutters to My high beam switch and now have 2 high beams, as well. Is funny to see how fast cars get out of my way when they do something stupid and I hit the flash to pass button on them. Lol!
I don't think I ever seen anything about you doing a headlight mod miguel... how's about some pics ??
I don't feel I have the hands needed to mod the headlight myself but since I'm a bit night blind I would love more light and have many times thought of that 600 dollar light that's already got dual projectors done but have never seen anyone with one to find out how bright they actually are. Ive thought about adding the driving lights Bryan has but just haven't got around to trying it.

I quit being lazy and looked :laugh:... definitely a nice job

I don't think I ever seen anything about you doing a headlight mod miguel... how's about some pics ??
I don't feel I have the hands needed to mod the headlight myself but since I'm a bit night blind I would love more light and have many times thought of that 600 dollar light that's already got dual projectors done but have never seen anyone with one to find out how bright they actually are. Ive thought about adding the driving lights Bryan has but just haven't got around to trying it.
I did mine a few years ago and really like it. My only complaint is that the cutoff is so sharp, that lighting is not great around corner, because the “line” dips down as you lean. Not sure if that makes sense.

635926C7-8D2A-4F7A-B36A-E0987D2CF108.png

I did mine a few years ago and really like it. My only complaint is that the cutoff is so sharp, that lighting is not great around corner, because the “line” dips down as you lean. Not sure if that makes sense.

View attachment 1620807
I did the exact same thing you did and I agree with you 100%.

I'm seriously thinking about going back to a stock setup and then adding some Clearwater auxiliary lights.

Been kicking around LED headlights light but I'm not totally sold on them yet. At least if I go back to the factory housing and I don't like the LED bulbs it will be easy to replace with a halogen bulb.

@ottafish
I read all that up there ^ 'fish and IDK man,sounds like a lot,for a little.
Then auxiliary lights were mentioned. A hidden switch,or wired in with the Hi...seems like a no-brainer to me. I have seen some aftermarket aux lights that will burn your retina out. Use the time/energy/dough saved for another mod. Here in Western Canada code only allows 55w/60w lo/hi output from MC headlites. I missed that part in the code book....
dunno.gif

guns.gif
rulez.gif

I run a 100w in each. But with yer night vision issue...just go with extra's.

multiple mc lights.gif

Rubb.

Why not keep the bixenon projectors, but and h1 style led setup in there (just less running watts than hid) and then add aux lights?

Thats was for @stangman327

I’ve thought about this as well.

I think I’m just not satisfied with the quality of my work I did when I installed it. It was my first time ever trying to do custom headlight work and I did an OK job but I really like the professional work I’ve seen nowadays.

I think when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll have something else floating around in my head LOL.

Back