Mixed result with DDM tuning HID kit

virkdoc

Registered
Hi
I installed a DDM tuning HID for the low and high beam.....the high beam I went 55W and the low beam I went 35W.......both 5000k, I must say that the 35 W really disappointed me.....The 35 W has hardly any light to the extent that I cant drive without the high beam on!!!
Can it be a manafacturing defect or is it that the 55 W is way brighter in comparison?

u may have a faulty ballast or its not wired correctly. my buddy had the same issue last year and wasnt getting enough voltage. ur low beam should be much higher then ur previous high beam was.

check ur battery and check ur voltage. if those arent an issue its a.....

1. Faulty Ballast
2. Faulty HID bulb or
3. Faulty wiring

Something is wrong, I did the same swap as you, but went with 35w for both and you cannot look into the beam. The low beam is easily 3x as bright as the stock bulb. Make sure it is seated in there correctly. The rod on the bulb should be facing down if I remember right. I had mine installed wrong and it looked like crap as well. Blanca Busa did a great how to on this, check it out in the Gen II pinned section.

Also, I had a bad ballast right out of the box for the high beam. Was causing all sorts of gremlins with the bulb. Got a new one in, and works like a champ.

What sous said. First thing I thought is thatthe bulb isn't seated properly. I have never even needed the high beam it's so brignt.

I have two 35w, like the others said, it's blinding. No one would ever say it's a dim light :) Even in full daylight, it's bright.

so I guess its either the bulb or the ballast!! It is seated ok with the blue rod facing downwards!

Is it adjusted correctly? If it's either too high or too low then it won't project correct. Mine was way too high at first. Kept getting flashed by oncoming cars and the pattern kinda sucked. I have the same setup you have on my bike and the low beam made a huge difference once I got it adjusted. Then when you click on the high beam it lights up the world..

I do wish you could adjust both beams easily like on the gen 1's. But for some reason they changed it up on us Gen 2 owners.

Guys I adjusted it to fall lower and it is much better......now Im having a funny issue with the high beam.....when I switch it on sometimes it comes on and sometimes it just wont!!!

Virkdoc, that sounds a lot like the problem I had with my high beam ballast out of the box. When I installed them it worked great. I buttoned everything up all nice and neat and the next day the high beam would not come on. So, through about 2 hours of trouble shooting I figured that the ballast was bad because the problem was intermittent and would move with the ballast. Since your bulbs are different wattage, you do not have the luxury of simply swapping ballasts to see if the problem moves.

My opinion is that it is the ballast. I would get with the retailer and tell them what is going on and see if they can send you a replacement. Also, triple check your connections.

I have a non DDm kit 35w 6000K hi & low on mine and its extremely bright, like some of the stuff mentioned above try swapping ur ballast and see if the problem persist.. if not try swapping the bulbs.. trouble shooting this problem is a PIA but theres no other way to find out unless the retailer sends you out another kit and you can send yours back. good luck and update us on the progress.

Back