New Hayabusa Owner

PacerX

Registered
I'll pick up my new "Deathberry Shortcake" red Hayabusa on Monday or Tuesday.

A little history of my bike ownership:
1982 Yamaha Maxim 650
1983 Honda CX650 Turbo
2004 Buell Blast

In all, I've ridden about 5 years, but with a 10 year gap since 1994. I got re-endorsed about a month ago, and have been riding the Buell almost daily.

Now, I fully realize that the Hayabusa and the Blast aren't even in the same galaxy in regards to performance (and danger), and I don't want to die.

So, would you survivors please give me some hints and tips on the do's and dont's of this machine?

My plan is to ride through subdivisons and such for at least the first week, staying away from lots of traffic and getting familiar with the machine.

I've ridden enough miles to know to stay away from traffic when possible, I'm much more worried about the machine breaking the tire loose, or pulling up on me, or being too aggressive on the brakes.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dan

Just keep it down.  Go everywhere that you would ride your other bikes.  Just remember you have the power there.  You will know where the power bands are soon enough.  Congratulations on your Busa.

It will break loose easy, but when you want it to. Just don't wack the throttle hard until you are ready.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083335529 -->

Gongrats on your new Busa. I also got my own in Nov. so I am just now breaking it in and having a great time doing it. I know for myself I always keep in mind the beast that lies hidden until you twist the throttle, so I am aware that I need to respect the busa's power. I know you'll enjoy yourself safely as long as you know your limitations as well as the busa. Also I am new on this site. I am bike 382s dad. That's an honor. He got me addicted to Maxton. I am also a preacher, I guess I like having help I can count on. I almost forgot, I got a new 2002 silver and charcoal, out of the box. I got a great buy and a great bike.382 found it, no suprise there!

Have the utmost respect for the bike. It's not like other bikes where you can pin the throttle wfo with small consequences.
biggrin.gif

I think people get the wrong idea of the Busa as a man eating machine. Acually it can be just as tame as any other bike you just have more throttle control. The big difference is when you open her up into the high revs thats when it gets real exciting!! Just remember when you twist the right wrist it gets up and goes.

I prefer to ride on the freeway rather than the city because at least everyone is goin in the same direction and not making left turns in front of you.

Safe ridding and enjoy
biggrin.gif

Congrats like the name "deathberry shortcake", but the word death kinda worrys me if ya know what I mean.

First post some pics for us with pic fetishes
Secondly remember when starting heavy on the
clutch...easy on the throttle
tounge.gif

Thirdly post some pics
Fourth if ya really want to get familiar with that
puppy, find a huge open parking lot and practice in that environment with turns, starting/stopping. You're on point by avoiding high traffic areas initially. But, with your experience you'll pickup where you left off rather quickly. Just on a condensed missle LOL. Good luck, have fun and God bless.

Congrats on the busa, be safe... big difference in the Big Busa and the Buell.... doesnt shake no where near the buell and has a whole lot more power and is smooooooth....
bomb.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

Congrats like the name "deathberry shortcake", but the word death kinda worrys me if ya know what I mean.
The bike more than worries me.

Quick question... if you're going,say 40mph in first and then grab a big old buttload of throttle, with the bike pick up the front tire?

No bouncing it or using the clutch, just a full grab of right hand.

How much of a tendency does it have to pick up the front tire? How about high-siding due to breaking the rear tire loose in a turn?

TO ALL:

Thank you for your encouragement and replies. If I might ask you to keep them coming.

I'll work on pictures...

Quick question... if you're going,say 40mph in first and then grab a big old buttload of throttle, with the bike pick up the front tire?

YES
biggrin.gif

And

How much of a tendency does it have to pick up the front tire?[/QUOTE]

Anytime above 6-7K in 1-3rd she might raise up on you, just depends on the situation and how much you twist your wrist
wink.gif

I haven't had any unexpected wheelies on mine, but can certianly get her pointed to the sky anytime I want to
super.gif

Welcome to the board, guys. Just take it easy for a little while and get use to the Busa. It will only do what you tell it to do.

Two words--------SELF CONTROL !!!!!!!
Yup!

Despite the sometimes fearsome image of the Busa, it is all up to you.  Sound like you have decent experiance, your over thirty, and your head is on straight.  There is nothing to know about the Busa accept above about 5500RPM is where the demons live.  Be certain you have a lot of room above 55-6000RPM.  Below 5500 it's a big old High speed Super Sofa.  As easy to ride as anything else, and a lot easier than many.  But at all times respect the Busa or I promise, She will try to kill you.. Not being funny...  

And  "deathberry shortcake" Is some Funny Shid!

As for being skeered?  Man, if you are honestly skeered DO NOT GET IT.  If your intimidated, good, that should help keep you humble for awhile.  If you don't start humble... The Busa will take care of it for you...  
smile.gif

What Rev Said...................

During break-in the 5500 will get you excited enough.....stay below 5500 and the wheels should all stay down. Respect the bike and you'll live.........that's the motto I plan to live by.
When you move up to the next stage of 8k rpm and lower you will start to get a hint of what can happen if you twist too hard!!!!!!!! Ride safe.

The bike more than worries me.

How much of a tendency does it have to pick up the front tire? How about high-siding due to breaking the rear tire loose in a turn?

TO ALL:

Thank you for your encouragement and replies. If I might ask you to keep them coming.

I'll work on pictures...
Anytime you just snap open the throttle on a Busa in 1st and second, things are going to happen, and happen quickly. Cold tire, you'll get a lot of wheelspin then a wheelie if you ride it out. Allready warm tire in first, snap it open at just about any road speed and your going to get a wheelie even if your hanging off the front of the bike... You will get a wheelie. But this "SNAPPING" open the throttle. The bonus of the Busa is it's physical size and length. If I roll quickly into the throttle in first the front will come up at around 5500RPMS but it's not a sudden launch, it's a smooth ramping up of unending power. So the key is to NOT snap the throttle open, unless you are trying to wheelie. Otherwise, rolling quickly into the throttle will rarely lift that front more than a few inches off the ground.

But part of the fun of the Busa is the ability in first or second gear, to roll along up to about 5500 or 6K in second and quickly roll off the throttle then snap it right back about 1/4 to 1/2. Up she comes, no fuss no muss, no silly bouncing, and stay the hell off the clutch, just power...

The rear coming loose is a legitimate concern, but more than likely your sense of self preservation will interfere before you get that carried away. Again, you just have to be smooth, I mean you snap the throttle open on any bike cranked over and it's going to come around on ya. The Busa is no worse, there is NO real power band to speak of, it's all grunt and power all the time, so smooth is the key...

Welcome to the board to both PacerX and RevJerry. The best way to enjoy the 'Busa in the beginning is to remember that you are in control. Your wrist controls the speed of this bike. Know your limitations and be careful. I know you'll enjoy it and welcome to the obsession!

I find my 40th Orange to be very forgiving and smooth unless I am looking for excitement. That is the main reason I bought one. Yes, it is a monster but it is also a very friendly monster if you treat her as such. I think after a few hours on her, you will feel right at home.

Paul

this is my first bike because im young dumb and full of _ but i respect it just as much as i fear it and know my limits and stay within them thats probably why im not 6 feet deep

Back