Soon to be "NEW OWNER".....

All the above is good advice. I don't think you need an unrestricted older model, riding the twistys at over 194 would be impossible and no can run the gap that fast. Anyway I was just getting ready to chime in about being careful about overestimating your ability when jumping off a Harley to a Busa. I am not in any way insulting you or the Harley, but the Busa is a scary beast. I have seen guys give a metric bike a small ammount of gas which is required to get a Harley rolling and have a metric bike come out from underneath them. When it comes to servicing a busa and mechanical problems, while you keep the routine stuff delt with, you will not see alot of problems with a Busa. You will go through tires though. Respect her and you will enjoy every moment of your transition from Harley to Busa. Welcome to the board, I am sure you will enjoy it here.

(SHOOTER15 @ Aug. 29 2007,04:20) I've owned and ridden "H-D" for soon to be 47 yrs....yes,I'm an old fart with more miles on my ass than most of you could imagine....nothing wrong with a Harley, just looking for a little more excitement as I get ready to retire.....I live about an hour away from "DEALS GAP" and love to ride it as often as I can.....seems like the Hayabusa would be a great bike to ride there and don't worry about my "skill level"...I was "flat-tracking" long before the current crop of "hot shoes" were a gleam in their daddys' eye.....which year would you guys recommend?...anything I should be watchful for relating to up-keep or maintenance?....how about dependability?...I'm a complete novice as far as metric bikes are concerned, but being an Engineer I have the highest respect for the level of quality I see in the overall design and execution of detail in the Suzuki brand.....any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
                                      "SHOOTER"
Get an 03 or up..no starter issues, they changed to a 32 bit ecu and they coated the forks with a low friction high durability coating for better front end feedback and longer life. And have fun!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

(SHOOTER15 @ Aug. 29 2007,13:13)
(DEVLDOG @ Aug. 29 2007,11:31) welcome and goodluck

you seem confident,maybe a little to confident.I know my friends who ride HD who jumped on my bike for a spin were nothing short of scared after they came back...being so used to able to "twist" the throttle on there bikes and have a somewhat gradual increase in speed doesnt even compare to what you are about to experience.if i were you I would go into it slowly and not think that because you have all these yrs rideing you can just jump on a busa and go haveing never even ridden a "metric" bike....just lookin out for ya bro.....goodluck and hold on  
beerchug.gif
DEVILDOG[/b].......you are absolutely correct in you assessment of the difference between a H-D and the Hayabusa....I recognize that and appreciate your looking out for me !....too often I have seen riders of my age and experience jump on a bike unfamiliar to them,and end up making a complete fool of themselves... or worse !.....my many years of riding are a testament to my understanding of this fact and I plan to continue.....I'm not overconfident and I really don't mean to sound that way....I do however, feel that my many years of riding ,as well as a very healthy dose of common sense, will assure me a delightful transition from the H-D to the Suzuki....I look forward to the learning experience !........."S<span style='color:burlywood'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span>HOOTER"
sounds good my friend....enjoy
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
to the board. This will not be a decision you will regret. Ride safe and pick one up before the fall bash.

to the Site and at 47, your just starting to LIVE. So what's this OLD MAN attitude. Must be some kind of "Oldie" Sickness you got while riding that Harley
laugh.gif

(The Big Red One @ Aug. 29 2007,13:41)
(SHOOTER15 @ Aug. 29 2007,04:20) I've owned and ridden "H-D" for soon to be 47 yrs....yes,I'm an old fart with more miles on my ass than most of you could imagine....nothing wrong with a Harley, just looking for a little more excitement as I get ready to retire.....I live about an hour away from "DEALS GAP" and love to ride it as often as I can.....seems like the Hayabusa would be a great bike to ride there and don't worry about my "skill level"...I was "flat-tracking" long before the current crop of "hot shoes" were a gleam in their daddys' eye.....which year would you guys recommend?...anything I should be watchful for relating to up-keep or maintenance?....how about dependability?...I'm a complete novice as far as metric bikes are concerned, but being an Engineer I have the highest respect for the level of quality I see in the overall design and execution of detail in the Suzuki brand.....any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated and I look forward to hearing your thoughts
                                      "SHOOTER"
Get an 03 or up..no starter issues, they changed to a 32 bit ecu and they coated the forks with a low friction high durability coating for better front end feedback and longer life. And have fun!  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
They ( the dealer ) had to replace the forks on my 06LE because the "low friction high durability coating" delaminated on mine.

(DaCol. @ Aug. 29 2007,15:27)
to the Site and at 47, your just starting to LIVE. So what's this OLD MAN attitude. Must be some kind of "Oldie" Sickness you got while riding that Harley
laugh.gif
[DaCol........ 47 is the number of years I've been riding
smile.gif
......I'm 58 and started out on a K model Harley that I got for a summers worth of work !......I'm pretty sure some of my Harley buddies are gonna' give me a ration of s*#t about trying to "re-capture" my wasted youth when they see me roll up on a 'Busa !....the "old man" attitude will slowly pass away! L.O.L. ...from the feedback I've gotten,it seems you guys are pretty laid back and passionate about your scoots...I like that !
"SHOOTER"

Go as quickly as you can to the nearest dealer and get whatever color you like best. After your first ride you WILL know you made the best bike decision of your life.
As far as issues the one I would warn you about is your jaws cramping from the smile the cannot be knocked off your face!

Welcome to our world! Ride safe and have fun!!!
beerchug.gif

By the way can you post a pic of the Springer? I do have a soft spot for them. I don't know why I like them I just do!

Quote:
"which year would you guys recommend"

I'd say buy a new left over '07. You can save a bundle over the '08, and can pick one up for $9200-$9500. I wouldn't buy a used 'Busa unless I slept with the previous owner.

One thing to be very careful of (I still haven't gotten used to it) is the rear end wants to kick out from underneath you whenever you just lightly twist the throttle. There is a tremendous acceleration factor from the Busa in low and second gear. It doesn't start behaving until you get to 3rd. (buy a GIPro).
The other thing to watch is the brakes. A good right hand squeeze will lock up that front wheel at highway speeds. Use light pressure only. The rear brake seems much less sensitive and has a long throw with the foot.

I also have a Honda VTX 1800, and it sits unless I have a 200 mile or more jaunt to make. I like the sit-up riding style with big windshield blocking the air, and the heavy bike road feel for longer rides, but you can't beat the Hayabusa for shorter rides and just experiencing the feel of "G's". Nothing accelerates like it, and nothing brakes like it either.

As far as maintenance, just standard stuff--oil changes, tire pressures--nothing to go back to the dealer for. You can do it all yourself. Jap m/c products are very trouble free, and nothing leaks oil.

I am a new rider too. and love the Hayabusa for the kind of ride it delivers. Get ready to turn heads when you pull up to fuel and take off your helmet showing grey hair. I had one guy stop the other day and said "Hey, I thought you were a kid when you pulled up", My answer--"You can't see what's inside of me!"
Another time I got a comment from another fueler, "Why did you buy that thing?", My answer---"I wanted something different"
Just get ready for the comments, head turns, and looks, especially if you have any grey hair.
BTW, I'm 55
Good Luck
Mark

(BusaBret @ Aug. 30 2007,04:35) By the way can you post a pic of the Springer? I do have a soft spot for them. I don't know why I like them I just do!
BUSABRET...Sorry ,I don't have any photos right now but you can go to HOGPRO.com and see it there....it's in the gallery of softails and is called "awesome springer"...I put a set of "fat 50" wire wheels on it and I sent a photo they had requested.....I love riding it,just needing a "bit more" ...I'm sure you know what I mean .

(4wd @ Aug. 30 2007,05:10) Quote:
"which year would you guys recommend"

I'd say buy a new left over '07. You can save a bundle over the '08, and can pick one up for $9200-$9500.  I wouldn't buy a used 'Busa unless I slept with the previous owner.

One thing to be very careful of (I still haven't gotten used to it) is the rear end wants to kick out from underneath you whenever you just lightly twist the throttle. There is a tremendous acceleration factor from the Busa in low and second gear. It doesn't start behaving until you get to 3rd. (buy a GIPro).
The other thing to watch is the brakes.  A good right hand squeeze will lock up that front wheel at highway speeds. Use light pressure only. The rear brake seems much less sensitive and has a long throw with the foot.

I also have a Honda VTX 1800, and it sits unless I have a 200 mile or more jaunt to make. I like the sit-up riding style with big windshield blocking the air, and the heavy bike road feel for longer rides, but you can't beat the Hayabusa for shorter rides and just experiencing the feel of "G's". Nothing accelerates like it, and nothing brakes like it either.

As far as  maintenance, just standard stuff--oil changes, tire pressures--nothing to go back to the dealer for. You can do it all yourself. Jap m/c products are very trouble free, and nothing leaks oil.

I am a new rider too. and love the Hayabusa for the kind of ride it delivers. Get ready to turn heads when you pull up to fuel and take off your helmet showing grey hair. I had one guy stop the other day and said "Hey, I thought you were a kid when you pulled up", My answer--"You can't see what's inside of me!"
Another time I got a comment from another fueler,  "Why did you buy that thing?", My answer---"I wanted something different"
Just get ready for the comments, head turns, and looks, especially if you have any grey hair.
BTW, I'm 55
Good Luck
Mark
Thanks Mark....the "grey hair" is always a consideration
smile.gif
......I love the look on peoples faces when I ride up on my Harley and they see that I'm not some younger man, BTW it's a 145 ci stroker and sounds lik a big block chevy.....yeah,they all ask "is that yours" like I just stole it !...my response is "no,its my wifes',mine has a BIG engine"
smile.gif
.......that usually does the trick.

smile.gif

Back