New gassy smell from the 'busa.

jaydoc1

Registered
Hey, I've got an interesting new problem.  I have an '04 LE which is not ridden overly hard.  Was broken in according to factory instructions.  Over the last six months or so it has developed a really strong gassy smell.  Anyone else have this problem or no what it might be?

Thanks,

Jaydoc

<!--EDIT|jaydoc1
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148568430 -->

Where is it coming from... prop the tank and look for tattle tails, if there are none, take it outside and let it air off with the tank up and panels off for a while and then bring it back in and start sniffing.

Are you sure it is not just the gas tank venting? They sort of whislte when even mildly warm, this causes a gas smell as well and it is annoying but normal.

firedevil.gif

Try not to fill the gas up all the way. Alot of people overfill the tank to the point where the gas has nowhere to expand to.

Also check the vent tubes to make sure they're not kinked or missing. The 2 vent tubes are located on the right rear bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know about the warm weather venting but I've been riding the bike since new two years ago and this is new. I'll check the vent tubes though and do the thorough sniff test as recommended.

Thanks again.

Take a lighter, light it, and slowly pass it all around the bike, when you find the exact spot where the fumes are coming from you'll know it !
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148593440 -->

Check all your fuel lines going to the fuel rail and fuel pump. It wouldn't hurt to make sure all the 6 bolts that holds the fuel pump in place are snug. Just my .02

Try not to fill the gas up all the way. Alot of people overfill the tank to the point where the gas has nowhere to expand to.
I did that once, and the gas actually leaked around the cap (piece where the key goes in).  It wasn't that full either, about an inch down the silver tube.

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148659793 -->

Back