New emblems

KvHotDog4

Registered
Ok so I have finally bought the chrome OEM emblems to replace my factory black ones. I have a question for people that have done this before. Is it better to remove the factory emblems or to just cover them with the chrome ones. If its better to remove them what is the best way to do it, I have read on here several times where the paint has came off with the sticker and I don't want to mess up a 500 dollar piece of plastic over a 40 dollar sticker. I would like to remove the factory ones for the simple fact that I think it would be to thick if I just covered up the factory ones, but if its not possible to do without messing up the paint its not worth it. Also, for those who have done this before or who have heard about this how well do they normally hold up to rain and washing or waxing, do they peel? They are the wet apply type bought from a company on ebay. I will post pics of the process when I start it tomorrow I am just trying to do a little homework first. Thank you for any and all suggestions

Get them pretty warm with a hair dryer, start peeling them, keeep the heat on them during the peel, they will come off. Not that difficult. If there is any adhesive still on (should be very little) just use goo be gone or an automotive adhesive remover.

I've also heard WD40 works good to remove adhesive but I used goo-gone on mine and it worked perfect.

Just finished taking off all my decals today. Used the wifes hair dryer and a plastic putty knife. I used Dupont 3812S reducer to clean off the residue. It did what the other products I tried couldn't do. Pricey though at $36 a gallon but has many uses and it worked quick and easy.:thumbsup:

Back