New Clutch

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, I just bought a clutch from VMan (he hooked me up by the way!!). Well, I put it in and took it to the track. Well at first the clutch grabbed like crazy, then about the 5th pass, the damn thing started slipping...and I mean BAD!! The bike wouldn't hardly move. The transmission seems okay because I can shift and it goes into all gears, but the clutch won't engage at all! What is the deal? I mean, installing a new clutch isn't rocket science. I haven't had time to get the clutch out to look, but, do any of you guys have any ideas? Could it possibly be defective fibers? Not trying to down you at ALL VMan. I am just curious as to what it could be. I mean, like,
wtf.gif
is it?

Thanks,
Brian

How many thick steels did you use?
When I replaced my first clutch, the stack height wasn't tall enough. It slipped every gear on my first pass.
Take it back apart and see if you damaged any steels. I burned a couple on that one pass.
Stack height should be 1.98-2.00.
You running a totally stock clutch? No other mods?

Jeff

beating a brand new clutch is not a great idea either, the fricions need to cure a bit. Also what kind of clutch was this? I have seen guys come draggin in with lockup clutches thinking they were like a standard wet clucth...not a good scenario at all.

As surprised to have not seen some initial clutch setups for the lockups. pretty simple stuff but need done correccty the first time and every pass... Clutch guy is your key your ride in many cases.

The way I got to ride an 06' busa was when the owner ripped two fiber plates and a partial metal to peices (Had about 600 miles on bike). He was riding in a parade so how I don't know how he did it. When I remove the clutch cover little fragments of clutch material was settled at the bottom. Started pulling out plates and came across the damage. Had to drop the oil pan and filter and flush with oil. His bike would not move at all. That's when I found out Suzuki up graded the clutch with the clutch cusion kit in the higher models. Hope you case is just plate in the wrong place or not soaking plates long enough or something less serious. Goodluck on your search!

there are different fibers and the cushion ring... the stackup has to be correct.
you didn't mention the metals....so you checked them with a mirror or glass? then sanded or bead blasted them to remove any glazing?
and we presume you soaked the fibers and put a few miles on them before racing?
if you super heated the metals, then they're prolly blued...or warped.
the warped metals can imitate clutch actuation....causing slippage.

was the clutch kit OEM or aftermarket?

Did you replace the fibers and steel plates?
Did you soak the fibers in oil before you installed them?

If you didn't soak the fibers, in oil yopu probably have all ready smoked them, you have to install them wet! ANd they really need some soak time!

I had replaced a cluth on my 9 before and a small particle got inbetween the plates and took a chunk out and i ended up burning the plates. Might now have been as clean as you thought when installing. Probably will hae to take it apart and check it out

As DAKKINE2 stated, check your stack height.if it is within spec.,put some new springs in.also make sure you didnt already glaze your new clutch

Back