New Busa Owner Here

mattsmusic

Registered
Hi - I just picked up a 2002 Hayabusa on Friday and have put just over 200 miles on it. I've been riding for a long time and this is my 8th bike. I was in the market for something with super sport performance mixed with sport touring comfort and had read many articles where the Hayabusa was referred to as a sport touring bike. After a 30 minute demo ride, I was sold on it.

However, after my 200 mile weekend, my wrists/forearms are sore and my back hurts. I'm a 38 year old guy in good physical shape and have never been this uncomfortable on a bike before. I really love the ride and performance of this bike but I'm not so sure I can live with it.

Any one here have experiance with handle bar risers on this bike? All advice is appreciated!

Matt
smile.gif

The very first day long ride I took I noticed some minor soreness in my back but have never noticed it again. I chock it up to the change in riding position from my GSXR750. Do a search for risers and you should find some info on the subject.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086113524 -->

Welcome to the board. There are a number of people here that have used bar risers. You should get some feed back soon.

Heli bars
Genmar risers
Reaper Risers (Cheapest)

How tall are you? May want to look at peg adjustments also if you're >6'3" or so. Congrats and welcome to h.org.

BD

Sorry, I should have included that info. I'm 5-7" and 150 lbs. I was hoping to do some really long rides on this bike with my girlfriend on the back (provided she can hold on), but my back and wrists are in pretty tough shape today. This is a normal adjustment that you guys have gone though?

Matt
smile.gif

Sorry, I should have included that info. I'm 5-7" and 150 lbs. I was hoping to do some really long rides on this bike with my girlfriend on the back (provided she can hold on), but my back and wrists are in pretty tough shape today. This is a normal adjustment that you guys have gone though?

Matt
smile.gif
It was for me. The risers may help you out if the reach seems a little long to you.

I'm 6' 275 and the only problem I've had with rides >3 hours is a cramped feeling in my right hip/knee. If I were any taller or my friggin legs any bigger I'd have to make a peg adjustment.

I'm 5'7" 155 lbs. I bought my bike in Phoenix AZ and rode it back to San Diego CA the very next day (385mi). My lower back was sore also. Its just a matter of adjusting to the new riding position like everyone said. bar risers would definitely help. as for your wrists, I think that's just your riding position. Try not to ride with your weight on your wrists...that used to happen to me my first two years riding and then my buddy told me its my riding position and to use my back muscles to support myself instead of letting all my weight go to my wrists. He was right. It took a bit to get used to, but it helped a lot. Your arms should never be straight when your riding...always bents and loose. If my assumption was wrong, and you're riding position IS good, then besides the bar risers, the only other thing I could tell you is a decent pair of riding gloves with gel/padding in the palms. Hope this helps...and congrats on the Busa. Stick with it, its the greatest bike in the world.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

First off and welcome to the board!! Now let the Mods BEGIN!!!

secondly your body is used to your last bike. When i switched from my 1100 to the bus, i noticed my back and lower arms were sore as poop. I also noticed i couldnt see my gauges, it was becasue my body was used to the other bike. Give it some time also with the busa relax. Use legs and stomach to hold your weight up, you should be putting very little weight on your handlebars at all.

The way to practice this is to tighten your stomach muscles, and squeeze the tank with your legs. and only hold on with your throttle hand. Twisat the poop out of your throttle. If you stay on you are in the right position. If you fall off you are relying only on your hands for stability!!
laugh.gif
j/k/ you shouldnt fall off but it would feel like you would. Plus unless you have been riding for years i wouldnt try that technique, but i hope you get the moral of the story!!
cool.gif

Welcome to the board and congrats on your new bike. I'm 5'9" 210 lbs and the seemingly small 1.25" genmar riser made a huge difference in comfort for me. Like everyone else has said riding and steering with stomach muscle, legs, and balls of your feet will help to. Peformance and bling mods will come, but do those comfort mods first!

So if I put the riser on will I have to raise the windscreen as well, or will there be no interference? My last 2 bikes have been Buell's, the riding position on the Busa is definitely more radical. Maybe I should just have my arms extended???

Thanks for everyones advice so far!

Matt

welcome.... it should not cause a problem...

just don't use risers and heli bars together
or the wind screen will hit... (so I've been told)

Seems that guys put the risers on, then opt for the double-bubble so the gauges can be easily seen...

I thought within the first 5 miles of riding my Busa that I'd made a huge mistake...my arms hurt and the palms of my hands ached...I just lay right across the tank, literally...but, I'm probably a little shorter than you at 5'7"!
laugh.gif

And I've learned to just rest my shoulders some...use my glove to grip the throttle and not have the death grip on it...it will take some time to get used to it, but eventually you'll be there...
cool.gif

Congrats and welcome! I agree with the new position theory as well. Took a week or so to find the comfortable riding position/weight distro on the beast as well.

I just checked out the heli bars, does anyone have them installed on their bike and does it make a substantial difference in comfort/handling?

Hey... Congrats!

I too just bought my first busa, this week. Same thing. Was at first looking for ZZ1200, all day comfort etc.

Had to ride home for 7 hours after I purchased it and by the time I got home My wrists were killing me. Worried about it being the wrong bike? NOT ONCE! Holy power!

I too thought ( on the ride) that Heli Bars would be good, but I think I will wait it out a few weeks. I actually found that the rest of my body was more comfortable than on my Ninja (ZZ6 sport touring).

It was like that the first time I rode around on the Ninja. I think it is just something you will get used too. The shield is definitley something that we both want though. P.S. I am looking for some advice on which one to get.

Traveling with someone else on the back was different too. Found that she put a lot more wieght on me than I was used too, and really didn't help the wrists! Time will tell.

Stick with it for a bit, but if you do put them on(bars) let me know how it is.

Cheers

Welcome to the board, Matt! A common problem for new 'Busa riders. Helibars or risers will definitely help. The riding position is also important as others have said. I think after a little while riding you will find that comfortable position and be in heaven! Let the madness begin!

Back