new busa engine break in techniques

neal bisogna

Registered
what is the best way to break in new busa motors.owners manual gives a different process than most people advise,such as run it hard especially for the first 20 miles.who do you listen to?

Personally I chose the normal time proven break in as described by Suzuki.
If the bike was for racing and had to be on the track immediately I'd choose the "WFO and pray I don't spin a bearing" break in. After all, race bike engines are torn down on a regular basis any ways.

No matter what method you choose, change the oil within the first 100 to 150 miles and again at the normal 600. There's a disturbing amount of crap that comes out of a new engine.

BTW, welcome to the board!
smile.gif

Welcome to the board.  Ride it like you stole it.
tounge.gif
  Your going to get alot of different opinions on this one. You should not baby it and don't cruise at a constant RPM too long. The book says 5500rpm or less for the first 600 miles then 8000rpm or less until 1000 miles then let it rip after 1000 miles. Ride it like you will after the break in period just stay with in those limits and remember to vary the rpms. Hard acceleration and deacceleration all help the break in process just have some fun.  
wink.gif

So, are we saying to disregard suzuki's recommendations? Or are you saying stay within the limits prescribed but hard acceleration? I haven't ridden a busa yet but I have ridden many other bikes and hard acceleration is gonna be awful hard to stop at 5,500 rpms..lol. I was thinking I will stay within the limits for the most part and give it an occasional romp and let it wind up a little.I had read an article that was posted somewhere on this board that said to totally disregard all manufactors guidelines and just ride it however you wanted to,that article stated that following the guidelines was actually harmful in some ways to the engine because of the way new engines are designed. Anyone else remember this article? I'll post up on another board I frequent and see if I can't get it posted up there it's a local d/fw board and I know I have seen it there.I'll post it up here if I can get it.
Jay

Here is the link I found it on another site, makes for an interesting read. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Jay
Thats the hard and fast method and I've tried both by the book and hard and fast. Its all up to you the Busa is almost bullet proof. Break it in like you will be riding it after the break in period. I would reccomend dropping the oil in the first 50 miles or so there is alot crap in a new engine, assembly lube and some small metal particles mostly that will eventually be trapped by the oil filter. Then at 600 miles the normal service oil and filter change. The filter does not need to be changed before 600 miles just some fresh oil in the first 50 or so. Reason being why circulate all that crap through the transmission before the oil filter finally traps it?

I followed the book method up until about 500 miles changing the oil more frequently at 100, 150, 250, and 350 miles and again at 600. never hurts to change the oil and get all that crap outta there!

I'm with BA, ride it like you stole it, I stayed within the Rec.RPM ranges till the 1rst oil change, then it was Game ON!!!
wink.gif

Back