New annoying sound while cold

gunmetalbusa

Registered
My 05 now has 8000 easy miles. Oil change every 1000
miles. Perfectly maintained, however, now when I start it there is a background clicking that reminds me of a valve sound. It goes completely away once the bike is at full temp. Everything else is fine. Dealer tells me first valve adjustment 12000. I hate the clicking sound. Any ideas? Thanks.

Mine does it as well. let me know if anything develops out of yours. I have around 2500 miles on my 06.

Mine does it once in a blue moon. Check the weight of oil your using and/or you could have a valve lash out of spec. You could always get the valves done early.

I get a awful rattle right at start up( think it's the clutch basket doing it's thing cold and unlubricated) for a couple second until the oil has circulated. been mid 60' in the morning. still on the first oil change(regular 10W-40 suzuli oil) and about 1800 miles on it

I was wondering if it could be the timing chain being slightly stretched, I went through all these sound changes in my 94 zx6 that I owned for 10 years. You'd get a valve adjustment, then a new set of freaky sounds. They never sound as good as the first few thousands miles I guess. I was hoping the mighty busa was immune.

Thats your valves making that noise before oil gets pumped to them . Thats why its good to let your bike warm up a bit before you actually ride .

If it sounds like it's coming from the upper, right-rear of the engine, it's likely that it's the cam chain / adjuster.

The cam chain adjuster (on '01 and newer) is auto-adjusting. However, it can get 'in between' the adjusting teeth. It will quiet down when it 'clicks' into the next adjustment tooth.

Or, if you can't wait, loosen the two allen bolts holding the adjuster in. Just slowly loosen them until you hear the *click* of the adjuster, then tighten them up.

Mine is doing the same thing - really noisy when cold, but quiets down when warm. I just need to find time to get under the tank to loosen the adjuster bolts.

HTH...

Omslaw, that makes the most sense. I bet that's whats going on. The valves seem to make a slightly different sound, which has changed very little since new. Thanks

Back