New addition

ThunderJohn

Registered
Steph finally got her bike. A 2003 CBR600RR. It has right at 6,000 miles on it. She is new to riding so I was a little concerned getting a bike like this but she had her heart set on a CBR600 or R6.

She has the right attitude about it. In fact she said it will just sit in the garage until I get home and we are going to take the safety class together. That should be fun riding a Busa up to get on a 250cc bike for class. I will be there to support her regardless. Then I can see allot of hours in the neighborhood and local parking lot much like I did for a while.

I only have a pic she took with her phone because she will not pick it up for another week or two. My neighbor is going to ride it home for her. I am sure you will see her wondering around here asking questions much like myself. I looked around the CBR forum they are not real nice on there. I am sure she will be here since she has the mod bug already and does not even have it home yet.  
laugh.gif
 She even named it "Roxy"￾ already.  
dunno.gif

So far the main thing is the height. She is 5'6"￾ and it is a little too tall for her. I have read that lowering screws with the handling of the bike. I do not want to start her at any disadvantage. I have also read that you can get about 1-2"￾ off with a Tobin. Should I start there and maybe adjust the suspension if I still need to go down. She weights nothing so I am sure she does not even push it down when she sits on it.

Any suggestions?  
idea3.gif

Roxy.jpg

You do lower the seating position by at least an 1" with the Tobin.  For what she will be doing I don't think lowering it would cause a problem, though. Hope she enjoys it!

Very nice, ive been tring to get the other half to ride for years now!

You should be okay with lowering it. Use some adjustable links, trust me. Soupy's links have a great reputation. . . .

When you lower it, make sure you check and readjust the settings on the rear and then also lower the front so that the bike remains "level." If you do it the right way, handling will not be affected in the least.

Congrats! Riding with your woman will be a real pleasure once she gets out of the learning phase and stops making you so nervous!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

My honey but the adjustable lowering links on my ride for me. Made the world of difference for me. Just needed an inch. The bike handles like a dream for me. The important thing for her now is to be able to reach the ground. I'm 5'5" (just after the chiropractor) so all the bikes I like and want are too tall for me.

Have fun and enjoy. Now you will always have your own group to ride in. LOL

--Nanwags

beerchug.gif
Enjoying riding together has got to be one of the best things that a couple can share! Good for you!
bowdown.gif

Be careful out there!

Nice ride she got there. I hope you guy's have fun riding together.I had to lower cindy's triumph 675 for her,we went with an adjustable rear shock link and lowered it an inch.I have ridden the bike and most people would never tell the difference in handeling.She feels way more at ease knowing she can reach the ground and more confident.

Very nice, ive been tring to get the other half to ride for years now!
same here Gix.

bike looks good, congrats. there's a lot for her to learn aside from the basics, you know...always make sure you take the key, make sure the kickstand's down/and or up, those kind of things.

Lower it anyway, with her being new to riding it will not matter, she needs to reach the ground. Also, just a suggestion........let her take the course by herself and do not go. Take her and drop her off and come back and get her later that evening, but dont stay. It sounds like a good idea now, but trust me, she will do much better if you are not there. I hope that does not sound bad brother, but most of the time it is true. Very nice bike, and have her post up, we can answer questions and will help in any way we can. My wife just started riding too, we are pumped for the bash. Be safe bro!
beerchug.gif

Juli_s_first_ride_004.jpg

My honey but the adjustable lowering links on my ride for me.  Made the world of difference for me.  Just needed an inch.  The bike handles like a dream for me.  The important thing for her now is to be able to reach the ground.  I'm 5'5" (just after the chiropractor) so all the bikes I like and want are too tall for me.

Have fun and enjoy.  Now you will always have your own group to ride in.  LOL

--Nanwags
+1... Lowering links will make all the difference

Oh, and as suggested I wouldn't take the class with her. The drop her off and pick her up deal sounds like the best plan....
Best of luck and keep us posted.

Congrats on the new bike!

If you need to lower the bike to make her comfortable, do it. My wife bought a Bandit as her first bike and it was WAY to tall for her, she's 5'4" and never got comfortable so didn't ride very much.

Congratulations!

+1 on the Soupy's adjustable lowering links suggestion.

Back