New addition to the family

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
No...not another bike.

Not quite a year ago, Dan and I became parrot owners. Yesterday, we brought our newest parrot home, a 4 month old Congo African Grey. Her name is Ruby and she's our 3rd and last parrot - we've reached our parrot max.

They're all so much fun. I can't wait to go home and play with them. Here are some pictures.

This is Ruby. She's a special needs bird...she doesn't have any of her back toes. Greys are some of the smartest parrots and usually the best talkers.
th_RubyJun27th.jpg

This is Jade, Dan's Red-Front Macaw. She's not a very big bird, but she has a HUGE personality.
th_Thatsthespot.jpg

And last, Max, the Alexandrine Parakeet. He was a first bird and should have been named Oscar...he's such a grouch. But we wouldn't trade him for anything.
th_P8170086.jpg

I know this is kind of goofy, but they're so much fun and it was amazing how quickly they became part of the family.

I love the African Greys! They're so smart! :thumbsup:

Congrats on your newest family member! :beerchug:

Congrats! My sister used to have a Blue & Gold...

My Grey is going on 28, arthritis has taken most of the use in his feet though from having the same sized parches for most of his life. Don't make the same mistake my grandfather did and get many different perches / toys for them to stand on. Also handle often.

My Grey is going on 28, arthritis has taken most of the use in his feet though from having the same sized parches for most of his life. Don't make the same mistake my grandfather did and get many different perches / toys for them to stand on. Also handle often.

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know that. With her missing toes, perches are a "hot topic" any way.

I think we have the "handle often" thing covered...our birds are out of their cages as much as possible...playing and cuddling.

I've always wanted a parrot, but with so many cats, I figure it's not the wisest decision...

Love them Di!! Better and BIGGER pics please, when you have the time :thumbsup:

I've always wanted a parrot, but with so many cats, I figure it's not the wisest decision...

Love them Di!! Better and BIGGER pics please, when you have the time :thumbsup:

You're probably right...however, our cat is afraid of them. Kind of funny to watch Jade chase her off the bed.

Here's a picture of Jade that I got over the weekend. She eats all of the basil in the window sill herb garden.
th_JadeLikesBasil.jpg

And the umbrella cockatoo we're "bird sitting" for my in-laws.
th_PopcornsHideAway.jpg

They're beautiful!

Might be a touchy subject, but when you buy exotic birds, do you know how they were obtained? I would be so fearful of getting something that was illegally imported, so are there breeders for these birds? I'm just asking; don't know anything about 'em...

They're beautiful!

Might be a touchy subject, but when you buy exotic birds, do you know how they were obtained? I would be so fearful of getting something that was illegally imported, so are there breeders for these birds? I'm just asking; don't know anything about 'em...

We have a wonderful breeder nearby. I'd always go through a reputable breeder or get one from a rescue. Most of these birds are endangered or at least threatened in the wild, but the US has good breeding stock so there isn't any need for us to get wild-caught birds.

I have to tell you, as much as I love our dogs, as we lose them to age, we probably won't get any more quadrapeds. The birds are demanding, but no more than dogs and absolutely as lovable and cuddly.

What a great looking group of birds. I want a bird too :whistle:

What a great looking group of birds. I want a bird too :whistle:

You might want to consider a Blue throated Macaw for a big bird. I could see shannon liking something a little calmer like a Timneh African Grey....just a thought.

Mostly I'm a dog guy, but we babysat a Moluccan Cockatoo for a month named Dylan. Dylan was a pretty cool guy.....He immediately bonded with me and really didn't care for the rest of the family. He was my 24/7 buddy for the month, we did everything together.

So I could see having a bird again, although they are way more work than a dog.....

So I could see having a bird again, although they are way more work than a dog.....

It's funny how people don't realize that they can't just be in their cage all day. They're so interactive. They do require a lot of time and they live waaaaaay longer than dogs. Ours have a life expentancy of about 40-60 years for the Macaw and African Grey, only 15-20 for the Alexandrine.

Where does it go to the bathroom at?

Ideally, on their perch or in the cages. They can be "potty trained". Our littlest one is about 90% trained and seldom has an accident. He just chirps when he has to go and we take him to the appropriate location.

We're working on the others, until then, we have lots of baby wipes, Clorox wipes and tissues handy. Luckily bird poo doesn't have an odor. So, it's easier than with a puppy in that respect.

Back