Never would have thought

Willie G

Registered
OK, so I decided to make the switch to synthetic oil. Couldn't find any of the brands I've heard you guys discuss and recommend, so I stopped by the Suzuki place and got some of their Suzuki brand synthetic in 10w40.

Got to reading the back label ( I guess I was just curious) and the oil was made by an outfit called SOPUS Products for Suzuki.

Guess who that is: SOPUS link

Who woulda thunk it?
eek2.gif

Shell was in limited trouble in Canada a number of years ago for putting an additive in their gasoline that interfered with fuel injection. According to Canadian news reports, customers with receipts were entitled to compensation in order to service the engine ignition components.

I switched to PetroCanada before the announcement because I noticed problem after using Shell for many months.

But I still use their chain lube. Just not engine.

firedevil.gif

I read a pretty long study written by a professor (of some kind of chemistry-related field, can't remember at the moment) that did a big test in his lab comparing motorcycle oils to car oils, etc, and measuring their viscosity breakdown over different mileage periods, etc.

I can't remember all of the results but there were a few things that stuck out in my mind:

1) "motorcycle" oils didn't perform any better than regular auto oils... they just cost 2-3x as much. The wet clutch wasn't a problem for the "standard" oils.
2) synthetic oils performed better than conventional oils in all tests.
3) mobil 1 synthetic had the least viscosity breakdown of any of the oils he tested (it wasn't a very comprehensive list but it included at least 3-4 synthetic car oils and 3-4 synthetic motorcycle oils).

Back