Never Had This Happen Before

BigBSBusa

Comin' back stronger than ever!
Donating Member
Registered
Interesting ride home today. Left work without problem and cruised out the gate. Made a few stops and the brakes seemed fine. Got to within a couple miles of the house approaching a stoplight and tried to stop and couldn't. Doing about 45 MPH and trying to figure out what to do. A car stopped in each lane waiting for the light to change and downshifting is not going to put me at 0 MPH before impacting them. Thought about doing the Fred Flinstone technique, but didn't think that would work either. Okay, only choice is to run the red. Luck is changing as the light turns green, but still have 2 cars in front of me. Well, guess I will be splitting them. Don't think they were very happy, but we made it through and managed to get home without further incident. Got off the bike and discovered that the right front air bleeder valve had come loose and had brake fluid on that side of the front tire. Don't know how or why it happened, but got it tightened and rebled then took her for a test ride and no problems.

Do the bleeder valves come loose very often? Glad it wasn't any heavy traffic. Should this become part of the pre-ride check?

Hmmm havent heard that before. That must have been a scary ride. Definetly clean all around the area you think the fluid may have hit. Nothing worse then seeing paint being eaten off the next day from brake fluid.

Sounds kinda like somebody might have messed with it. Any enemies at work, bro?
rock.gif

Sounds kinda like somebody might have messed with it. Any enemies at work, bro?
rock.gif
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! I AM ALMOST CERTAIN THERE IS NO WAY THE VALVE COULD LOOSEN UP FROM VIBRATION. UNLESS, YOUR BRAKES WERE DONE A SHORT TIME AGO AND YOU OR THE MECHANIC DID NOT TIGHTEN THE VALVE WELL ENOUGH. GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE ALRIGHT!

Damn Ken, you got very lucky.Prolly doesnt happen that often though.:;):

If it was someone that messed with and I find that person, ya'll might not be hearing from me for a while!

Interesting ride home today.  Left work without problem and cruised out the gate.  Made a few stops and the brakes seemed fine.  Got to within a couple miles of the house approaching a stoplight and tried to stop and couldn't.  Doing about 45 MPH and trying to figure out what to do.  A car stopped in each lane waiting for the light to change and downshifting is not going to put me at 0 MPH before impacting them.  Thought about doing the Fred Flinstone technique, but didn't think that would work either.  Okay, only choice is to run the red.  Luck is changing as the light turns green, but still have 2 cars in front of me.  Well, guess I will be splitting them.  Don't think they were very happy, but we made it through and managed to get home without further incident.  Got off the bike and discovered that the right front air bleeder valve had come loose and had brake fluid on that side of the front tire.  Don't know how or why it happened, but got it tightened and rebled then took her for a test ride and no problems.  

Do the bleeder valves come loose very often?  Glad it wasn't any heavy traffic.  Should this become part of the pre-ride check?
What happened with the rear brake? Did you have problems with that one also? Don't they have separate reservoirs?

jim

Good question! Tried the rear brake, but wasn't going to be quite enough stopping power. It got rebled today also.

Back