It happened so fast!

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
Riding to work last Friday morning, I had just dropped my fiancé off at her office and was riding the short three blocks through DC to mine. The street was two lanes with a double yellow down the middle; oncoming traffic was stopped behind a woman in a Buick who was waiting to turn illegally into a parking garage on my side of the street. Honestly she was looking right at me as I approached at less than 25 MPH and then she just went, it happened so fast, I was right there in front of her with no chance to maneuver or stop, and then… she stopped! She missed me! I never would have had a chance, but she stopped. It made me nauseous, it was so close. Literally. I got to the parking garage in my building and had the shakes. I’ve been a licensed rider for 34 years but that moment made me re-appreciate that as riders we can’t trust anyone. I know that statistics indicate that a majority of us get nailed from oncoming traffic turning left in front of us, it’s happened to me countless times – but each time I’ve seen it coming and never trusted the driver, each time I’ve avoided the problem by slowing, flashing my headlight, maneuvering around, or changing my line to avoid the car. Not this time. I had eye contact and acknowledgement from the woman in the car, or so I thought. I don’t know what brain fart caused her to jump, nor do I know why she stopped, but I’m glad she did. Brothers, draw a collective sigh, I got lucky, I hope ya’ll do to. And yes, I was wearing my helmet and my gear but there’s no gear that would have protected me from the grill of that Buick. Thank you God…
-Jim

Glad it worked out!! Sounds like she was looking at you, but didn't "see" you. Happens alot to riders.

Did you have an extra set of "undies" at work? That would have scared the crap out of me. I pretend everyone that is turning will decide to do it right as I'm passing, but thankfully it hasn't happened.

wow close call, glad your ok. somebody had your back that day huh?

literaly the exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. The lady in the minivan went to make an illegal left right in front of me then stopped half way through leaving me just enough room to glide by her with my rear break locked up and middle finger in the air. The only difference I see it that I had come around the corner a little hot and did not give her much time to see me.

So Glad ur OK! I read a study once that the "i didnt see him" syndrome can be traced back to our childhood and reinforced by safety campanges. how many of you heard your mother say " look out for cars" or "look both ways for cars"? Or safety campanges who urge you to watch out for on coming traffice? We are not trained to see a motorcycle as a THREAT and our brains virtually block them out of site. I used to tell myself if I saw their eyes then they saw me. I had a similar experience and now trust No ONE. In my book every driver (and these days with all the newbies on the road, Motorcyclists) will do anything at anytime no matter how idiotic it is. Which includes pulling out right in front of me! Defense defense defense, its all we have out there. Be an All Pro at it!

No matter how many years, or how good you think you are, there is always someone you have to watch for. All this and every time you go out. People on cell phone should be fined $1,000 min. when talking and driving.

Glad you got through that !! Just think how many times that was the last thing the rider saw ??

The other day I was at a red light, waiting to go straight through. Then an S.U.V. pulls in to the right turn lane, which is a yield. She was pretty far into the turn lane (car just starting to turn). There was a lot of traffic. So as soon as the light turns green, to let me go straight through, this chick desides she now wants to go left, WTF ?? I don't know if she thought that by taking off as fast as she did that she would be able to go around me, or just didn't see me sitting there next to her for like 5 min. ? I had no choice but to just nail it, there was no way she was going to stop, and if I did she would have went over me like a speed bump.

just got my cast off broken leg and shoulder surgery after being cut off at wal-mart... glad to hear your ok.

You are absolutely right, wear the gear and assume everyone is a total idiot on the road. Most of the time you will be right too. :laugh:

glad you came out of that ok...it's always good when "Someone" has your back :bowdown:

After reading time and time again about people pulling out in front of you I catch myself watching the cars and looking into there eyes trying to anticipate there thoughts, Not sure if this is a good thing but I am sure aware of my surrounding. Sorry for you guys that shared your stories but also thankyou for sharing them.

Back