Cartridge disassembly

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, the service manual is of no use with this one – they say “Caution! Do not disassemble the inner rod/damper rod (cartridge). And, our good friends at Gold Valve include this witty little remark in their instructions: “firmly clamp the cartridge in a shaft holder.†Riiiigggghhhhhtttt… So, just what constitutes a ‘shaft holder’ for the purposes of this exercise..? Now that I’ve got the fork leg broken down to this level I’d hate to booger it trying to get my new valves installed. I’ve reviewed some of the archived strings for words of wisdom but so far I’ve come up short on how to clamp the cartridge effectively without marring or crushing it. How about it, I know someone’s done it; how’dja do it?
Thanks!
-Jim

I had the shop do mine but maybe the answer can be found in Charlie's write up/pictorial....

Charlie's pictorial is extremely good, I found it very illustrative for getting the fork apart – but, he doesn’t disassemble the cartridge. I am installing a new set of Gold Valve’s and to do so I have to somehow get the old valve out of the cartridge body – hence my question about how to clamp the body without chewing it up..?
Thanks though for the response.
-Jim

beerchug.gif
Charlie saves the day!!!

Back